You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

FSX Service Pack 2 installation error

Nick Ullom 1041939

Nick Ullom 1041939
Posted
Posted

Hi guys. I downloaded FSX Service Pack 2 (SP2) and while it goes through installation, caching files.......caching files.... rolling back action . Then it says Microsoft Flight Simulator X Service Pack 2 Setup ended before completing installation. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, please run set-up again.

Yeah and I did that... Any one have this issue before? and know a solution?

Thanks!

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

do you have SP1 installed, and are you using FSX acceleration?

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Nick Ullom 1041939
Posted
Posted

Yes, I have SP1 installed. NO accelleration.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

XP or Vista?

EDIT: looking at a quick web search seems most people that were having the issue in both OS's ended up uninstalling FSX and any addons then reinstalling them. if that doesn't work then you might be looking at the need of a fresh OS on your drive and try again

Richard Gerrish

Nick Ullom 1041939
Posted
Posted

Vista 64-bit Home Premium.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

best advice i can give is to try uninstalling FSX and any addons and start fresh

Richard Gerrish

Steve Klinebriel 1072329
Posted
Posted

I have had the same problem. Had to keep re-installing.

Finally I gave up tryin' to use SP2. I do just fine w/ only

SP1 installed.

(I was told by someone that I need to turn off DirectX 10 -

whatever - I believe my system is DX9)

Jacques Malan 995061
Posted
Posted

Before uninstalling and reinstalling FSX, you can roll back FSX to it's default 'fresh install' state by holding down the Ctrl key while opening FSX. This will remove all add-ons and it will look like a new install of FSX.

Remember to always make backups.

For me SP2 made a major difference to my frame rates, and I would definitely encourage you to install it.

Jacques Malan

VATSIM Supervisor

atc1o.png

Steve Klinebriel 1072329
Posted
Posted

Is it posible to install SP2 Without having to restore FSX to new state.

I would rather not lose and/or have to reinstall my add-on's.

FSInn, multiple aircraft, not to mention my mission rewards etc....

Can I try to install sp2 "as is"?

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

you should be able to pull your mission rewards from the application data folder... try either in the appdata folder of your username or in programdata located in your c:\

file you're looking for is called rewardsgranted or something like that.

Richard Gerrish

Steve Klinebriel 1072329
Posted
Posted

Will I lose my add-on's?

I had a heck of a time getting FSInn / Copilot to work correctly.

I'd rather not go thru that again!

Can I just install SP2 without losing anything??

Thanks for any help you can offer.

btw: ref. FSX

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

if you've been getting installation errors while trying to install SP2, then chances are you're going to need to repair or completely reinstall it from scratch. The FSInn/Copilot walk thru and FAQs will get you up and running before you can say vatsim. if you do have an issue after installing post in the FSInn forum and i'm sure we can get you squared away on no time... however most issues are easily solved using the FAQ. personally i have made it a habit to save all my add-ons on an external hard drive for just this type of issue. Pay-ware is easy just go to the website and download it again. Freeware if it was a drag n drop installation just copy your scenery add-on folder ect.

Richard Gerrish

• 2 weeks later...
Blake Gray 841141
Posted
Posted

There is always alot of confusion when installing service packs and SDK's for FSX; I just bought the deluxe edition...the trick is not to install SP1a from acceleration pack; if you did this might even cause a conflict as SDK2 may only work with FSX-SP2. I know this is off topic but related.

I am redoing my FSX install as I speak; one read says not to install either of the service packs if you have FSX-Acceleration; well I want SP2 I think, but SP2 does not have the code to run FSX Acceleration aircraft (!); so what is the workaround lol?

You should install SP2 if you dont have FSX-Acceleration, but then again only multiplayers with SP2 will be able to see you and vice versa (I think - could be wrong here).

An important note: FSX-Acceleration has SP1a - dont install it if you intend to run SDK2. My question is where FSX-SP2 comes in; I am thinking I should install it after FSX-Accelleration. However in your case, FSX-SP1 needs to be installed before installing FSX-Sp2; the FSX install should have done this.

Hope this helps; my guess is you didnt have C++ 2005 x64 and it's SP1 installed. In your case, with 64bit, there are C++ redist for 64 bit - do you have those installed !? They are on microsoft. I am installing both C++ 2005/2008 both x86 and x64 versions and their SP1's; they should install and work seperately.

You could be right too that DX10 may not work if you dont have the C++ 64bit installed or dont use it?

I will be back after my install !

"Keep The Shiny Side Up And The Greasy Side Down !"

Live Streaming Simulators KSP, TKOM, FSX, ARK