You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

xSquawkbox and X-plane setup help

Alan Whitten 1131336

Alan Whitten 1131336
Posted
Posted

Alright, I am nearly a complete newbie to Xplane and xSquawkbox. I have been able to connect, but there is something that is puzzling to me, and that has to do with the plane selection.

I am a beginning pilot, so I have been learning the ropes in the Cessna 172 that came with Xplane. I'd like to use that plane when I connect to VATSIM. When I open the connection screen in XSquawkbox, all I see in the model box is a 737. I'm a bit confused because I want to fly my Cessna, not a 737! There are no other planes available in the pick box under 'model'. How do you add planes to the model pull down list?

I ignored that error, and did sucessfully connect to a vatsim server today, and then setting up my flight plan was very confusing. Of course, it said I was in a 737 (which I didn't want to fly anyway) and it gave me a lot of choices I didn't understand. Can some one point me to a guide to writing flight plans for GA aircraft?

Thanks,

Alan

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Alan,

The ICAO code shown for the aircraft type in XSquawkBox is simply what the controller will see in his flight strip. So if you log on with XSB set to a B737 and then load up a C172, the controller will think you're in a 737.

It has no impact on what plane you fly. That's controlled by using "Open Aircraft" in X-plane and opening the .acf file for the aircraft you wish to fly.

So, set it correctly for the plane you intend to fly. If you want to change aircraft, disconnect, set it for the new aircraft and reconnect.

If you have XSquawkBox installed correctly, then as you begin to type in a ICAO code for your aircraft (such as B737 or C172) then it will begin to populate the menu with appropriate choices.

and it gave me a lot of choices I didn't understand.

Knowing specifics would help. However, you don't have to set true airspeed, time of departure, or estimated time of departure. Those fields are not seen by the controller.

Feel free to ask any other questions you have.

Alan Whitten 1131336
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the tip on loading the planes. I did get the C172 to load correctly.

As for the flight plan, I actually found it is easier to use the flight plan generator on the vatsim site. It makes a lot more sense to me. I managed to get in a couple of short VFR flights today, both were in airspace that were not controlled.

• 1 year later...
Michael Lark 1177791
Posted
Posted
Post subject: Re: xSquawkbox and X-plane setup help

Thanks for the tip on loading the planes. I did get the C172 to load correctly.

Alan,

I'm having the exact same problem: what did you do differently? In my case, it can't be that I had a 737 loaded already because a) I have no 737 model in my copy of X-Plane, and b) I chose the C172 before logging onto VATSIM.

Gratefully yours,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Jacques Malan 995061
Posted
Posted

Michael,

The default aircraft ICAO in XSquawkbox is B737. It is not dependant on what you have installed in your aircraft folder. You can change this under Preferances.

Jacques Malan

VATSIM Supervisor

atc1o.png