You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Seeking recommendations for new PC build for FSX

Ross Carlson

Aggrey Ellis 964561
Posted
Posted

Here it is. Read the guide I link. It's extremely useful for getting FSX running.

FRAME LOCK:

The suggestions about frame lock have nothing to do with what the human eye can or can not see they are about how you push your hardware to place priority on keeping things smooth while the PCIe buss is saturated by FSX especially with autogen. The scene and your sliders will make that call. In the same flight on the same settings you can go from a partially saturated PCIe buss to a completely saturated buss as the scenery changes and you fly from one place to another. In that the frame lock may need to be changed IN MID-FLIGHT

In most systems I have usually found 2 frame options that work best (switched to as needed in-flight) especially with LCD monitors

Locked 30 - outside of large airports and cities (Note: may need to be trimmed to between 24 and 30 depending on the system)

Unlimited - usually best around airports and large cities but may ALSO be of benefit in heavy weather in areas with a large amount of autogen trees

that is a 'try and see' setting and success with it depends on the system

In FSX there were changes to the rendering engine and unlike FS9 a lower frame rate can be used and still maintain a smooth visual result. FSX and FS9 are different in that respect.

In FS9 many claimed you had to see at least 35-45FPS for smooth flight and the reason for that was simple they were robbing Peter to pay Paul and were losing elsewhere for that high frame lock. Its the same with FSX but unlike FS9, with FSX UNLIMITED frame lock sometimes works to smooth out the image when the buss is saturated in large urban areas depending on the system

You can be running 35-45FPS and stutter or 24-30 and run smooth and with FSX and the changes to the rendering engine even UNLIMIED FPS can present a smooth solution when certain criteria are being rendered to a scene.

Taken from

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

ZLA I11

VATCAF S1

et_1.png

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Luke Kolin

• Aggrey Ellis 964561

• Erhan Atesoglu 1050499

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 16 posts

• Luke Kolin

Luke Kolin 10 posts

• Aggrey Ellis 964561

Aggrey Ellis 964561 6 posts

• Erhan Atesoglu 1050499

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499 6 posts

Popular Days

• Nov 12 2009

13 posts

• Nov 18 2009

12 posts

• Nov 21 2009

6 posts

• Nov 20 2009

6 posts

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I'm running DX10. Thanks for the tips.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ray Dotulung
Posted
Posted

Congratulations Ross for your new RIG...

Saw couple of vids on youtube... I'm a bit disappointed with my GTX295, ATI cards seems running with no stutters at all.

Or maybe its cuz of my C2D (E8400 overclocked at 4.25Ghz 500x8.5).

I can get 20 to 25 FPS on heavy environment, tried all tweaks from the net.. but stutters just wont went away at that FPS.

Any thought?

Cheers..

------------------------------------------------------

Indonesia VaCC | Virtual Airlines of Indonesia

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Ray: are you setting things according to the actual amount of VRAM you have. The most popular of these "optimizations" manuals tend to overlook this key element. If you overflow the VRAM it's going to cause stutters no matter how powerful your CPU/GPU combination is. Just like with windows if you have a memory fault, you could have a 100ghz CPU but you're still bottle necked by your harddrive speed. Same with VRAM faults , it's not a simple reloading of a single missing texture, but there's quite a bit of reorganization that goes on as well.

AA and AF are major memory hogs... although there is plenty of cycles on the GPU, often times there just isn't enough VRAM to support it and everything else you have going. Bottom line tune according to how much VRAM you have not the power of the GPU, the last thing you want is your CPU to be tasked by unnecessary loads.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Saw couple of vids on youtube... I'm a bit disappointed with my GTX295, ATI cards seems running with no stutters at all.

I can get 20 to 25 FPS on heavy environment, tried all tweaks from the net.. but stutters just wont went away at that FPS.

Any thought?

Cheers..

The one thing that fixed the stutters for me was setting XMP Profile 1 in the memory setup page of the BIOS. I'm not sure exactly what that does, but it made all the difference in the world. So I'd check your memory timings to be sure they're correct. If you overclocked an E8400 to 4.25 I imagine you know your way around a BIOS.

Edit: I also get stuttering when I uncheck DX10 preview. (I haven't messed around with the vid driver settings yet to see if I can make DX9 mode perform without stuttering.) Maybe you could try changing between DX9 and DX10 preview modes if you haven't already.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Nicholas Taylor 1104922
Posted
Posted
If anyone comes out with a Sound Environment Extreme add-on, that'll make for an acronym that really sells. )

There already is one!

Congrats on the new rig!

Nicholas Taylor

vZAU INS

Ray Dotulung
Posted
Posted
Ray: are you setting things according to the actual amount of VRAM you have. The most popular of these "optimizations" manuals tend to overlook this key element. If you overflow the VRAM it's going to cause stutters no matter how powerful your CPU/GPU combination is. Just like with windows if you have a memory fault, you could have a 100ghz CPU but you're still bottle necked by your harddrive speed. Same with VRAM faults , it's not a simple reloading of a single missing texture, but there's quite a bit of reorganization that goes on as well.

AA and AF are major memory hogs... although there is plenty of cycles on the GPU, often times there just isn't enough VRAM to support it and everything else you have going. Bottom line tune according to how much VRAM you have not the power of the GPU, the last thing you want is your CPU to be tasked by unnecessary loads.

Erhan,

Here is my setting:

CPU running at 4.25 Ghz (OC) C2D E8400 [500 x 8.5 multiplier]

Memory timing at 5-5-5-15 (OC) running at 1,000Mhz (Stock 800Mhz) Corsair 2 sticks total of 4GB

My GTX 295 running at stock speed,

Core Clock Speed = 576 (MHz)

Memory Clock Speed = 1998 (MHz)

Memory Size 1792 = (MB)

Running FSX in DX10 preview mode I can get higher FPS compared to DX9. Benchmarking with no HardDrive activity (HDD light OFF)

Been trying to figure out how to optimize my VRAM - I've set my max_texture_load=1024 (FSX.CFG) , AA=OFF, AF=OFF, but still no luck for me. I'm thinking of try to OC my GPU besides tweaking my FSX.CFG but I havent got time to do it.

Anyone else have the same stuttering experience using GTX 295 with FSX?

Ray Dotulung
Posted
Posted

Any thought?

Cheers..

The one thing that fixed the stutters for me was setting XMP Profile 1 in the memory setup page of the BIOS. I'm not sure exactly what that does, but it made all the difference in the world. So I'd check your memory timings to be sure they're correct. If you overclocked an E8400 to 4.25 I imagine you know your way around a BIOS.

Edit: I also get stuttering when I uncheck DX10 preview. (I haven't messed around with the vid driver settings yet to see if I can make DX9 mode perform without stuttering.) Maybe you could try changing between DX9 and DX10 preview modes if you haven't already.

Hi Ross,

My stock memory timing is 4-4-4-12 at 800Mhz @1.9V, now I'm running at 1000Mhz 5-5-5-15 @2.1V and I've tested my BIOS settings with Prime95 OCCT etc and its 100% stable.

Also try running with DX9.. still no luck for me..

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

Ross

Congrats on the new machine sounds lovely.

My advice is lock the FPS at 30 and never touch it again. Then mess with all the settings as much as you like.

Directx10 preview is a dogs dinner of a mess and as far as I'm concerned I would turn it off and just make sure you have directx9.0c instead.

I think I mentioned I have just changed over to ATI and I have to say in regards to configuring the card it's a darn sight easier than nvidia, a bit of a moot point as you have bought nvidia.

Bill Casey has achieved some extraodinary results so might want to drop him a line over on the VATSIM UK forum Ross, also ask him about setting the affinity for FSX to use one of the 4 cores you have and the OS on another.

Sounds like black magic to me but hey.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks