You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

New LCD (upgrade?) Dissapointment!

Ryan Renz

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

Ok so being somewhat into computers I know that CRTs are KING, having 6 and only two laptops and a BROTHER word processor, I accept the reallestate and other draw backs for the gains.

However I couldnt p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] up the amazing sale on one when it came up, figuring I could dual view FS using my VGA for Inst Panel and DVI-D for out the window ( the 2 out outs on my gamming laptop.

It works great for movies and daytime flying not too small as I was worried, plus all the beni's of LCD!

However night time is something other than to be desired, you can hardly see any thing the clouds are multi colored clumps and whisps, and your prop makes a swirly whirly wave in the sky (same with lights)

Plug my CRT in or send the view to my panel and its like night and Day (no pun intended)

This is parcially due to my setup as my monitor and cockpit doesnt allow enough tilt down but that only make a minor differance unless its angled down to the extreem like 45 Deg.

One would think as the wave of the future MOST ppl use LCDs but how with issues like these?

Sure I'm a few Night VFR guys but even IFR you have to be able to see and recognize objects and land marks and it helps to have nice clouds sky and airport features even at night no?!

So am I missing something here? Movies look good with no complaints even in dark sceens, not as good as CRT but not as Bad as FS Night/clouds.

What do you guys fly with?

I have a Samsung ToC SyncMaster 23" (they didn't make a 24 in this) with 50000:1 Dynamic Contrast and 2mS response time full HD 1920 X 1080 P DVI-D in for around $209 CND.

Thank you for reading!

I am hoping to get WideW to work I uninstalled it now out of frustration, but then I can use 2 CRTs one for panel and one for Front of me view (main out the window) and my LCD for beside my CRT for a wider front window if you will. But that is frustrating; annother idea is just running CRTs with a desktop splitter and forgetting about LCD.

what worries me is I thought that a projector was the ultimate (except 4 the pro set up) but now I'm worried it would give me the same cloud and detail issues as well.

What I really need is a 48' X 24' CRT! LOL

See you in the Sky... If I can!

In My (virtual) Hangar:

C172 :: C-FXMY

M20M :: C-GRYR

Baron 58 :: C-TVUY

tom van der elst
Posted
Posted

dual 21'' CRT monitors.

no widescreen tft or lcd for me.

cheers

Tom.

f1cert.gif

Anthony Atkielski 985811
Posted
Posted
Ok so being somewhat into computers I know that CRTs are KING ...

They were. Advancing flat-panel technology has relegated CRT monitors to niche markets now. Flat panels are sufficient for all but the most demanding applications. CRTs are still used for some things, such as precise photo editing and publishing, where calibrated visual depictions must match printed results as closely as possible. Even that is being eroded by flat panels rapidly (not sure of the current state of the art, as I haven't been keeping up on the high end of the market lately).

However night time is something other than to be desired, you can hardly see any thing the clouds are multi colored clumps and whisps, and your prop makes a swirly whirly wave in the sky (same with lights)

Much depends on the quality of the flat panel. If you got one on sale, I presume it's not a $3000 high end medical imaging flat panel or something like that. I have two flat-panel screens, one expensive, one cheap, and the difference in quality between them is obvious. Of course, the same was true of CRTs.

One would think as the wave of the future MOST ppl use LCDs but how with issues like these?

Either they don't care about contrast at low levels, or they pay more for their monitors.

Sure I'm a few Night VFR guys but even IFR you have to be able to see and recognize objects and land marks and it helps to have nice clouds sky and airport features even at night no?!

My flat panel works just great at night, and that's with the brightness cranked down 50% to save wear and tear. On a clear night, the images are great, and the stars are very brilliant against an essentially black background. No trouble making out landmarks (beyond the trouble I'd have in real life).

So am I missing something here? Movies look good with no complaints even in dark sceens, not as good as CRT but not as Bad as FS Night/clouds.

You're mi$$ing the magic ingredient: paying more money for the monitor.

What do you guys fly with?

Eizo, for the main monitor. Acer, for the cheap one.

I have a Samsung ToC SyncMaster 23" (they didn't make a 24 in this) with 50000:1 Dynamic Contrast and 2mS response time full HD 1920 X 1080 P DVI-D in for around $209 CND.

Add a zero to the price, and you can get something much better, although a $209 monitor should be quite respectable. What kind of CRT does it replace? If it was a Sony Artisan, I see your problem.

Low-level contrast has traditionally been one of the weaker points of LCDs, although it should be mostly fixed now, if the price is right.

8564.png

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

Alright well that is something to consider, thank you for the input, I would be running a 20" and 21" Compaq Trinitron CRT. They work excellent and I used to fly with them independantly didn't have a problem with anything.... except one could be fussy and say they are too small, big CRT's nowadays are very expensive. I've never heard of EIZO before I'll have to look them up, I could buy and HD projector for $3,000 or probably a couple of huge CRT's I deffinetly would not spend that on one (1) LCD unless it was big enough for the whole front window lol!

The Samsung SyncMaster P2370 I bought first hit the market this summer at around $400 CND so I vertually got it for half price but it would compare to be way better than Acer I would expec to pay about 120-160 CND for an Acer. I might just have to Save my LCD as my movie screen and use two CRT's or like I said have my 20" in front of me and my LCD just to the right to expand my cockpit view, I donno

Thank you guys!

In My (virtual) Hangar:

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Ryan: uhmm there are a few quirks with my samsung as well. the default mode is "cinema". If you want to do graphics editing or even play games you have to change the color mode to RGB standard. I know by default the color profile always gets rejected by Photoshop if you have the warnings on.

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

Alright yeah Ill have to check into that, I have been playing around with the options but not much luck so Ill look into the color profiles.

Could more pilots please poat what there setup is, Thank you!

In My (virtual) Hangar:

Nicholas Taylor 1104922
Posted
Posted

I have one Samsung SyncMaster 730B that I bought for near 140 bucks and it works like a charm!

Nicholas Taylor

vZAU INS

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

I have 3 lcd's my main one beinga Phillips 190s, the other two are dell screens dont know who the manufacturer is but I have no problems at all with any of them day or night.

I suspect this will be a setup issue.

Wycliffe

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Could more pilots please poat what there setup is, Thank you!

I run multiple Samsung 20" LCDs. The brightness and image quality is superb, but I agree that at normal viewing angles, the image detail in dark areas is lacking. What's odd is that if I stand up and look at the monitor from a higher angle, the image detail in dark areas (such as clouds while flying at night) improves quite a bit. So it's like the optimum vertical viewing angle for these LCDs is not actually level with the center of the monitor. Maybe I just need to tweak the settings more?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

Alright strange not sure where to start with the setting could anything be adjusted on my comp or FS? I've played around with monitor settings but I'll look at the color gama and see what I can do. Thank you!

In My (virtual) Hangar:

Anthony Atkielski 985811
Posted
Posted
What's odd is that if I stand up and look at the monitor from a higher angle, the image detail in dark areas (such as clouds while flying at night) improves quite a bit. So it's like the optimum vertical viewing angle for these LCDs is not actually level with the center of the monitor. Maybe I just need to tweak the settings more?

I think that's just a fortuitous effect of the polarization of the LCDs, which causes them to show light and dark areas at low image brightness levels when viewed obliquely. I've seen the same thing on monitors. If the image is dark with only some differents in gray level, sometimes you can see the differences from very unusual angles. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to help for other images (like instruments or things like that), and it's usually just light and dark, no color information.

Be wary of monitors that advertise "dynamic contrast," too. That often means that the backlight is set higher or lower for certain images by the monitor, in order to create the impression of greater contrast range. It's supposed to help for things like movies. But it's not really an improvement in contrast (the contrast is never truly 5000:1 on the screen), and I question whether constantly dimming the backlight to different levels is good for its expected service life.

If you can get 1000:1 static contrast on a LCD, you're already working with top-of-the-line equipment. I believe CRTs still have an edge for extremes of contrast. But 1000:1 might be overkill just for Flight Simulator.

8564.png

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

Well that makes sence to a degree, my monitor is 50 000 to 1 Dynamic and with FS it gets really dark at night I always use it at Full bright.

I did however play with it before work today and was able to get better clouds out of it and night image, I remembered about changing the resolution FS had it working 800X600 just like my Panel Screen but I changed it to 1920X1080 and that seemed to work I also adjusted the responce and contrast and light options but lots of these are opt 1 opt 2 and Def so not shure what they do but just trying to look at the image it creates!

Thank you for the help guys!

In My (virtual) Hangar:

Anthony Atkielski 985811
Posted
Posted

Try adjusting gamma, too, that can make a big difference in the way lights and darks are handled.

I found a nice page with some test images that you can use to help adjust your monitor:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

8564.png

Ryan Renz
Posted
Posted

Thank you very much that is an excellent resource.I ran my monitor throught the test last night and it did fairly well. Not the greatest monitor but it is good for me. I have been able to get better night image out of it; the responce time is amazing.

In My (virtual) Hangar: