You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Graphics Shimmering, Omg its killing me!

Greg Calderin

Greg Calderin
Posted
Posted

How we doin' everyone?

This has been killing me, when I say its killing me, I mean its really plucking my nerves. Im having this really annoying graphics shimmer issue in FS9 and its very distracting. My screenshots all of a sudden look horrible, the ground textures look as if they are being way too overworked on. If I lower the settings in FS they appear the opposite which is definitely what I do not want.

I am running a Radeon HD 4500 on a laptop that has 4GB of Ram and a Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Can anyone help me? When I used to run FS on my MAC, this problem was never present. But now since im on my 1 year old Dell Studio laptop the problem is everywhere. I cannot find the Catalytic Control Center download for my Windows 7 OS anywhere. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Might be that you need to turn on AF (Anisotropic Filtering) ... I know that when AF is off, it looks like tiny bugs are crawling all over the landscape.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Greg Calderin
Posted
Posted

Ross,

thats exactly what is happening. Its very annoying. Let me go ahead and try it, ill post a screenie

Greg Calderin
Posted
Posted

I had to post it separately so you guys could see the shimmer in the distance. HELP please

http://i46.tinypic.com/292vbs0.png

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Greg, that looks pretty bad...did you try what Ross suggested, that is turn on AF...and also AA (anti-aliasing). And what display card are you using...ATI or nVidia...if its the latter, the nHancer tool can help.

EDIT: here's the link for FS9 tweaking...didn't find it earlier http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1080212396 ... look at item 16 and any other things you need

Good luck!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Greg Calderin
Posted
Posted

I use an ATI Radeon HD 4500. Ill check that link out. Thank you sir!

Greg Calderin
Posted
Posted

Very little improvement with that link posted. It actually made things pretty bad since it had be drop my Mip Mapping down to 4.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

That's bad. Any improvements with AA anf AF? Also, for me I got the best resolution when I ran it in fullscreen mode {alt + enter}. Of course that is a limitation as you cant use anyrhing else other than FS.

Greg Calderin
Posted
Posted
That's bad. Any improvements with AA anf AF? Also, for me I got the best resolution when I ran it in fullscreen mode {alt + enter}. Of course that is a limitation as you cant use anyrhing else other than FS.

I tried the full screen mode and the graphics look a lot sharper, but its also hard to work that way when I have DVA ACARS, ActiveSky and such. I Think its time for a second monitor.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Hi Greg,

not to dissapoint you but with FS9 full screen mode, u cant use any other app even in a second monitor. Clicking on another app will automatically minimize FS9. I fly windowed mode unless in t/o or ldg or if I want screenshots. That's my experience, ur mileage may vary.

Hopefully somebody wih ATI cards can give u some better information.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Strange ... I've never been able to see a graphics quality difference between full and window mode in FS9. Maybe it's an ATI thing?

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

I use nVidia . The difference for me is not just quality, but AA and AF work only in Full screen, no matter how much I messed with nVidia settings and nHancer. Now in FSX they don't matter as I control everything from FSX coz if I set AA and AF from nVidia settings (not nHancer) it totally blurs out all textures...but I digress.

BTW, I had tested an ATI card some time back, RADEON HD 4870 I think, some time back and I have had the same effect with FS9.

Cheers

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

i havent been able to notice much of a difference in FS9 using windowed and full screen myself. altho i read once that the rendering options settings only worked in full screen, not sure about that.

ATI Radeon HD 3200

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
The difference for me is not just quality, but AA and AF work only in Full screen, no matter how much I messed with nVidia settings and nHancer.

Ahh, makes sense. I remember having similar issues when I first set up FS9 ... I could only get some settings to "stick" in full screen mode. Those same settings would work in windowed mode, but they would become unset when I resized the window at all. I eventually got everything to work consistently in windowed mode after playing around in the driver settings. (Wasn't using nHancer.)

Nick Najdoski 1040590
Posted
Posted

I was just about to make that post, and after reading this, it's fixed. Thanks.

Putting it in full screen mode fixed the problem. It's a shame my whole second monitor goes to waste.

But I just go to windowed mode in cruise, since i don't really look at the ground anyway.