You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Can I fly as Air Force One? How should I file the plan?

Victor Lima 889733

Victor Lima 889733
Posted
Posted

Hi guys. I'm terribly sorry if this has been asked before but I am new to these forums and although I conducted a search I didn't find anything relevant.

So my question is whether I'm allowed to fly a 747 while online with Vatsim using Air Force One as my aircraft identifier. If that can be done, I would further like to know what should I write in the flightplan so that the controlers will know what I'm talking about. Should it be VC-25B?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best regards,

Victor Lima

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Pablo Norambuena 857610

• Stuart Guberman 897696

• Andrew Steinberg 939662

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 9 posts

• Pablo Norambuena 857610

Pablo Norambuena 857610 6 posts

• Stuart Guberman 897696

Stuart Guberman 897696 5 posts

• Andrew Steinberg 939662

Andrew Steinberg 939662 5 posts

Popular Days

• Sep 19 2005

24 posts

• Sep 17 2005

14 posts

• Sep 20 2005

13 posts

• Sep 26 2005

4 posts

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Do yourself a favor and be a bit more original.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

Hundreds of Real-World Airlines and Routes for you to fly at www.ndbair.com

5000seconds.jpg

Kiel McGowan 813486
Posted
Posted

By that, Lance means there are like 4-5 "air force ones" on any given night. Its policy to give them no better service than any other aircraft. So you will not recieve the ridiculous required spacing, and everyone on the ground will not stop for you. Just file for a regular flight and have a good time.

Chad Black
Posted
Posted

My goodness Mr. Williams! The man had an honest question and was civil in the way he asked it... Be nice!

If flying as AF1 suits your fancy, then by all means DO IT!

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

This coming from someone who runs a copy of a real-world airline? Hrm. Granted, VCAir is the best of the COAs, but it's still far from original in concept.

By that, Lance means there are like 4-5 "air force ones" on any given night. Its policy to give them no better service than any other aircraft. So you will not recieve the ridiculous required spacing, and everyone on the ground will not stop for you. Just file for a regular flight and have a good time.

I've been flying on VATSIM for 2.5 years, and controlling for 2. I've never seen or heard an Air Force One. Perhaps those 4 or 5 nightly A1 flights are all flying overseas (I control and fly primarily in the US) or when I'm offline.

Everyone likes to simulate reality, why not A1? Go for it. But as Kiel says, you won't get any special treatment, otherwise we'd have dozens of A1's in the sky.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted
This coming from someone who runs a copy of a real-world airline? Hrm. Granted, VCAir is the best of the COAs, but it's still far from original in concept.

That's right and it was very original when we started it as there were no "VATSIM" COA's out there. I will not waste my time with the real-world/pretend VA stuff with you though.

Chad.... No response needed to you.

To the original person asking the question. That was just my honest opinion and what I think when I see someone flying AF1 on VATSIM. I've never seen or heard one of these "pilots" who didn't sound like a total newbie.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Chad Black
Posted
Posted

He wasnt asking for your opinion, he was asking what his callsign should be and how he should file it.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Sorry Lance, no matter how you slice it, a COA VA is not original, even if it's the first.

Note that I think it's perfectly fine to copy real-world stuff, whether it be a VA or a particular aircraft. I'm a member of a Delta VA, after all. I just thought your statement was needlessly blunt and hypocritical.

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

That's fine Ross. We all have opinions and I'll file yours away with the rest of them. As I said I refuse to get into a real-world/pretend VA debate.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
As I said I refuse to get into a real-world/pretend VA debate.

Good call. I'm sure you've been there, done that. No need to rehash it, as it would be irrelevant here anyway.

Javier Larroulet
Posted
Posted

Air France one?... sounds like a nice flight (hehehe, kidding)

If you wanna fly Air Force One go out and do it (remember, callsign is A1), just remember what has been said earlier on this thread: you'll get no special treatment, no priority, no nothing other than normal ATC service.

cheers!

Javier Larroulet (C3) - Chile vACC

18.png

Victor Lima 889733
Posted
Posted

I must confess I was not prepared for being yelled at for asking an honest question.

I am a Brazilian rw pilot who frequently flies in american airspace in the virtual world for the sheer joy of flying along with corteous pilots and controllers who are very professional about their hobbies and always helpful with each other. So I really didn't expect to be treated like this in the forum.

Regarding whether I'm a newbie or not, all I have to say is that I probably have more time up in the air than most members of VATSIM. Maybe not in the virtual world, but I'd say that real flying dealing with real controllers all around the world counts as well doesn't it?

I don't know whether flying A1 is original or not, I just thought it might be another fun thing to do and as far as I know most people are in this hobby to recreate what goes on in the real world. Therefore, there really is no way of being original anyway.

The reason I asked whether I could simulate flying A1 instead of just doing it without prior permission is because it is my understanding that Americans are a patriotic bunch who care a great deal about their presidential aircraft, and maybe someone might not like the idea of a foreigner flying their pet aircraft - even a virtual one. Please understand I do not mean this in a sarcastic way, I really was only trying to respect you people. That's why I asked it in the VATUSA forum.

As for the priviledges of flying A1, I never even thought about those at the time I made my question. That's not what this is about. I'm not the kind of man who would try to cut in front of evrybody else.

I did not ask for people's comments regarding my choice of flight, merely their help. So don't bother writing here if you just mean to vent your frustration because your wife left you or something. I was corteous in the manner I asked my quesiton and that is how I would expect to be treated. Thank you to those who answered my questions or stood up to the kids who don't know any better than acting stupid with a respectable man.

edit: because I forgot to sign.

Best regards,

Victor Lima

Lance Williams
Posted
Posted

Hi Victor,

My apologies. My post didn't come across how I meant. I still say, everytime I see someone flying as AF1 they usually don't know what they are doing, but you sound like you will.

Thank you,

Lance W.

ndbair_logo_150.png

5000seconds.jpg

Victor Lima 889733
Posted
Posted

Hi there Lance. I believe I was too defensive as well. I should've realized you must have your reasons for having replied the way you did (i.e witnessed pilots acting in unaccpetable manner because they were piloting A1). No apologies needed, hope to fly in your airspace soon. take care.

best regards,

Victor Lima

Andrew Steinberg 939662
Posted
Posted

I flew as A1 last night. I had a great flight, but no special treatment, but that doesn't really matter to me. It was pretty cool flying as A1 and having the ATC respond to you as such.

Good luck with that, and you can acutally download an A1 model on avsim by Project OpenSky.

Andrew Steinberg

C-1, VATUSA

userbar230662ff.gif

Victor Lima 889733
Posted
Posted

Hi there Andrew, thanks for the greattip. But actually I'm going to be flying a 747-400 repaint done for the newly released PMDG B744. I definetly recommend that aircraft to anyone out there who loves the big iron. Kinda expensive but totally worth it. I'm also into flying A1 not for extra spacing but just because it must be cool to be replied to as the presidential plane. Truth be told I was watching the fourth season of 24 this week on DVD and ever since I decided that I wanted to fly as A1. See you guys around Vatsim airspace.

Best Regards,

Victor

Pablo Norambuena 857610
Posted
Posted

If you wanna fly Air Force One go out and do it (remember, callsign is A1), just remember what has been said earlier on this thread: you'll get no special treatment, no priority, no nothing other than normal ATC service.

cheers!

Actually is AF1

A1 is Air Force One as in like the USAF or something, like R1 would be Army 1, VV1 is Navy 1, etc...

AF1 is Air Force One, the Presidential Aircraft

AFR1 is Air France One

Pablo Norambuena

AAC/ZAU/ZAK

2610.png

Andrew Steinberg 939662
Posted
Posted

cheers!

Actually is AF1

A1 is Air Force One as in like the USAF or something, like R1 would be Army 1, VV1 is Navy 1, etc...

AFR1 is Air France One

Pablo, Air Force One is flown and maintained by the airforce and flown by the presidential aircrew, maintained by the Presidential Maintenance Branch, and are [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to the Air Mobility Command's 89th Airlift Wing at Andrews Air Force Base, MD.

The presidential air transport fleet consists of two specially configured Boeing 747-200B aircraft (tail numbers 28000 and 29000) with the Air Force designation VC-25A. When the President of the United States is aboard either aircraft, or any Air Force aircraft for that matter, the radio call sign is "Air Force One".

Air Force One is specifically reserved for the President on ANY AIR FORCE plane that he is aboard. If he is aboard an Army plane it is ARMY ONE, Navy plane is NAVY ONE, Marine plane is MARINE ONE and any commercial plane carrying the President is EXECUTIVE ONE.

So for you to say that AF1 is the Presidential Aircraft and to say A1 is an aircraft in the airforce is incorrect.

Andrew Steinberg

C-1, VATUSA

userbar230662ff.gif

Pablo Norambuena 857610
Posted
Posted

cheers!

Actually is AF1

AFR1 is Air France One

Pablo, Air Force One is flown and maintained by the airforce and flown by the presidential aircrew, maintained by the Presidential Maintenance Branch, and are [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to the Air Mobility Command's 89th Airlift Wing at Andrews Air Force Base, MD.

The presidential air transport fleet consists of two specially configured Boeing 747-200B aircraft (tail numbers 28000 and 29000) with the Air Force designation VC-25A. When the President of the United States is aboard either aircraft, or any Air Force aircraft for that matter, the radio call sign is "Air Force One".

Air Force One is specifically reserved for the President on ANY AIR FORCE plane that he is aboard. If he is aboard an Army plane it is ARMY ONE, Navy plane is NAVY ONE, Marine plane is MARINE ONE and any commercial plane carrying the President is EXECUTIVE ONE.

So for you to say that AF1 is the Presidential Aircraft and to say A1 is an aircraft in the airforce is incorrect.

Well A1 would be like an F15 or something, and yes there are also VV1 and R1, and others too, but for example A405 would be Air Force Four Zero Five. That is what I was saying

What I am talking about is what you see in the scope, if the president is on a helicopter from the marine, then it would be VM1 on the scope

VV1, VM1, R1, A1, C1, G1, etc... would mean that the president is onboard

AF1 is Air Force One he travels in the B742

Pablo Norambuena

AAC/ZAU/ZAK

2610.png

Andrew Steinberg 939662
Posted
Posted

A1 would not be an F-15 because any designation in a military aircraft is reserved solely for the use by the President.

Andrew Steinberg

C-1, VATUSA

userbar230662ff.gif

Pablo Norambuena 857610
Posted
Posted
A1 would not be an F-15 because any designation in a military aircraft is reserved solely for the use by the President.

That was just an example, but what if Bush was flying an F-15

Pablo Norambuena

AAC/ZAU/ZAK

2610.png

Stuart Guberman 897696
Posted
Posted (edited)

That......won't......be......happening.

It's against VATSIM policy to sq. 7500 (hijacking) -- doing so can get you kicked offline by a SUP or ADMIN.

Edited by Guest

Student 2

Craig Moulton
Posted
Posted

Why couldn't it happen? The F15 has many 2 seat versions, and let's recall that he DID fly onto a carrier in a Navy 2 seater (A/E6? My memory is failing me again).

Fly Safe! Have Fun!

Craig Moulton

810358.png

Ben Zwebner 906832
Posted
Posted

Biggest Vatsim no no i can think off... .callsign of Air force one, sqauwking 7500...

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

You will find that squawking 7500 will result in your online experience being very quickly (and automatically) cut short.

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg