You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

XSquawkBox 1.0.3b1 released

Wade Williams 877539

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

I'm pleased to release version 1.0.3 beta 1 of XSquawkBox. You can download it from http://xsquawkbox.net/xsb

This is a large release, containing many enhancements. A large chunk of the credit goes to Ben, who found time to do the COM2 implementation, most of aircraft labels, and the proxy support.

Please let me know of any problems in the various XSB help forums, such as on here or x-plane.org.

Feature List:

Fixed issue with long flight plans getting cut off

Implemented voice tag menu in flight plan dialog box

Incorporated previously informally-released fix for "Windows Beep of Death" sound problem

Added aircraft labels as an option. Labels may show callsign, Type and Airline, or may be disabled

Implemented COM2 support for receiving (transmissions always go to COM1)

Implemented Proxy and client to allow traffic to be seen by those with multiple systems running in slave mode

Added Control-A as keybinding for beginning of line, control-E for end of line, control-B for back one character,

control-F for forward one character, and control-S for "Select all"

Added automatic downloading of the VATSIM server list

Fixed several bugs with the implementation of "reply-to last sender"

Culling code improved

Removed "feature" of not leaving voice room on disconnect

Added "Text Window Width" preference setting. This is intended for those using the Matrox Triple-Head solution

where their XSB window was spanning all three screens

Implemented ".wallop " command, which is used to summon a supervisor for help or to report improper

actions of another member.

Manual updated (more updates needed)

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

Yes !

New York ARTCC

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Awesome!! And Yes +1!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Peter Bremer 1110397
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Guest

RW CPL-IR-PBN-SEP(A) (VP, RU, T, EFIS)-Night-LPE6

Alexander Cohrs
Posted
Posted

Wow, this is great news! Thanks a lot, Wade! Especially the COM2 feature will be nice!

Alex

PS: An no, I am not going to ask about real upper winds, no, I won't do that

EDIT: Err, Wade, I am just doing a flight and the upper winds fit perfectly to the forecast. You didn't do something on that, did you?

gen.php?img=_5_1&cid=899395

Peter Bremer 1110397
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Guest

Peter Bremer 1110397
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

Will there be any SELCAL implementation at any point?

New York ARTCC

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
Will there be any SELCAL implementation at any point?

SELCAL is planned for the next release.

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

ahhhh nice

New York ARTCC

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
As said, I really like the improvements a lot already !!!

But it gives ideas for even further improvements;

Something for the wishlist to make it even more realistic:

- Be able to select the channel to transmit, com1 or com2, not standard only com1

- Be able to mute the channel (com1 or com2) which you are not using to transmit

Kind regards,

Peter.

Out of curiosity, how does that relate to real-world aircraft radios? I think you can select either radio to transmit, but can you mute a radio without turning it off or changing the frequency? (I've never played with a real aircraft radio)

Peter Bremer 1110397
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Guest

Raymond Blenkiron 1038912
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the update.

I have tested this release in 9.41 and confirm that Com1 and Com2 work as stated - Tx/Rx on Com1 and ATIS Rx on Com2. I configured audio devices such that ATC (Com1) is via USB headset and XP sounds and Com2 through the HD audio out.

There are some things I'm not fussed about - ie tags but there are other things that I do care about as it impacts on my (and others) online experience. I refer to lack of voice rooms for UNICOM and CTAF. When flying (VFR) with others who are using FSX/FSInn it puts X-Planers at a disadvantage.

I'm not sure of the ruling re voice rooms for UNICOM and CTAF but there was some dispute on such in this thread.

Regardless, if it's good enough for FSInn users to have UNICOM and CTAF then it's good enough for XSquawkbox.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
There are some things I'm not fussed about - ie tags but there are other things that I do care about as it impacts on my (and others) online experience. I refer to lack of voice rooms for UNICOM and CTAF. When flying (VFR) with others who are using FSX/FSInn it puts X-Planers at a disadvantage.

I'm not sure of the ruling re voice rooms for UNICOM and CTAF but there was some dispute on such in this thread.

Regardless, if it's good enough for FSInn users to have UNICOM and CTAF then it's good enough for XSquawkbox.

As far as I know, neither XSquawkBox or SquawkBox can participate in voice rooms for UNICOM.

I have no plans to change that for XSquawkBox unless the VATSIM policy on voice UNICOM changes. Having some people in a voice unicom and some not does nothing but confuse the situation. Personally, I wish FSInn would remove their voice unicom capability. I can guarantee you that plenty of people who do utilize voice unicom don't bother sending their transmissions in both text and voice.

Raymond Blenkiron 1038912
Posted
Posted
I have no plans to change that for XSquawkBox unless the VATSIM policy on voice UNICOM changes.

That is a unequivocal response that addresses the UNICOM voice rooms. What about CTAF? Is there a smilar VATSIM policy on CTAF voice rooms?

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
I have no plans to change that for XSquawkBox unless the VATSIM policy on voice UNICOM changes.

That is a unequivocal response that addresses the UNICOM voice rooms. What about CTAF? Is there a smilar VATSIM policy on CTAF voice rooms?

There is no distinction between CTAF and UNICOM on VATSIM.

Darlyn Pierre 1115055
Posted
Posted

OK, I'll be the first to report an issue. I've been flying all day without without a single problem. Aircraft sounds were on speakers and radio on headphones. Everything was working flawlessly until a few minutes ago. Now the audio prefs window says that my hardware is not properly configured. The "Setup Mic"" button is grayed out as well. No sound goes to either speakers or headphones. Not even the Windows sounds work. Running X-Plane without the plugin brings the sound back, so this confirms an issue with XSquawkbox.

What could have happened?

Edit: Disregard. Switched from "Wave" device to "DirectSound". Beats me why "Wave" suddenly quit working, given that they are actually the same hardware devices.

• 1 month later...
Peter Bremer 1110397
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Guest

Rebecca Bickford 992594
Posted
Posted

Have added and used this on several flights now with no issues and i am very impressed! (Im using 9.41 in case anyone is wondering.) The COM2 feature is great, although again, as people have said, a mute button would be good- the icing on an otherwise very tasty cake! Thanks for your time and effort, it is very much appreciated.

Oscar Espinosa Peñate 114
Posted
Posted

hello to my next thing happens to me, every time I fly from LEBL to KJFK always have winds from 80 to 90 knots in the face and very low speed ground planes instead going by myself going much faster route doing the same route

im use macosx 10.6.2 x-plane 9.45 (same problem in older version x-plane)

hola a mi me pasa lo siguiente, cada ves que vuelo desde lebl a kjfk siempre tengo vientos de 80 a 90 nudos de cara y muy baja ground speed en cambio los aviones que van por mi misma ruta van muchisimo mas rapido haciendo la misma ruta,

uso macosx 10.6.2 x.plane 9.45 (mismo problema en versiones antiguas de xplane)

• 1 month later...
Peter Bremer 1110397
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Guest

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted

Nope, but it will be. Likely tomorrow.

Watch this forum for the announcement.

Peter Bremer 1110397
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Guest

Oscar Espinosa Peñate 114
Posted
Posted

will not let me connect, and end time, which I do?