You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Help with choice of Flight Sim

Jack Rossini 1137138

Jack Rossini 1137138
Posted
Posted

Hello:

I am new here and I have a few questions. I would like to know what choices do I have for a Flight Simulator game software in order for it to work with VATSIM. The only Flight Sim software I have is MS Flight Simulator 98. I realize that it is old but I am willing to buy a latter MS Flight Sim.

One consideration that I have to make is that I do not want to buy a Flight Sim that is going to require me to immediately upgrade my whole computer in terms of graphics and harddrive space. I am running Win XP.

Would MS Flight Sim 2004 work with VATSIM?

Thank you

Jack Rossini

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Hello:

I am new here and I have a few questions. I would like to know what choices do I have for a Flight Simulator game software in order for it to work with VATSIM. The only Flight Sim software I have is MS Flight Simulator 98. I realize that it is old but I am willing to buy a latter MS Flight Sim.

One consideration that I have to make is that I do not want to buy a Flight Sim that is going to require me to immediately upgrade my whole computer in terms of graphics and harddrive space. I am running Win XP.

Would MS Flight Sim 2004 work with VATSIM?

Thank you

Jack Rossini

Hi, Jack. Knowing the specs of your computer would help. Personally I’d recommend Flight Simulator X. I’m definitely in the minority on this. Many would recommend FS9 no matter what the specs of your computer is. I’m the opposite.

I’ve run FSX on most computers that will run FS9. I just turn down the sliders (even if I had to turn them down as low as they would go). I originally had to do this for FS9 when I first got it. I like the hobby and continued to upgrade components of my computer (which is lower on my budget than my friends to bowls and other hobbies).

FS9 will work with VATSIM. So will FSX. Most computers that will run FS9 will work with FSX. However the latest service pack for FSX comes with a graphics card restriction. It won’t load on a card without Shader’s capability.

I’m almost certainly the only one of a 100,000 users of this opinion. Most likely 99 percent of the other users will recommend FS9.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

http://www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

• Not a regular post, but a special
thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

actually larry FS9 wont run on just any computer either, you do need a decent computer for it aswell, altho you dont need a super computer like FSX, specially if you want to run it with full sliders.

personally if you cant run FSX at full sliders, its not worth getting, thats just my 2 cents. but seeing as you dont have either version Jack, youre in for a treat either way

post your specs, thats the only way anyone can make any accurate recommendation. you dont want to end up getting one and not being able to run it.

if your PC is pretty old and on the low end tho, be prepared to atleast make minor upgrades, RAM is about the cheapest and best upgrade you can do to a computer.

if you end up not being able to run FS2004, you can also just get FS2002, next best one, and i believe the current version of squawkbox will run just fine on it.

other then that, theres Xplane. ive only tried the demo, someone who uses it may be able to get you more info

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
actually larry FS9 wont run on just any computer either, you do need a decent computer for it aswell,

Actually, Ernesto. This is my point.

altho you dont need a super computer like FSX,

This, I disagree with. I’ve never had a super computer. Most of my computers have always been substantially less than average. I believe the computer I use now is about average (for today). It’s not a super computer and it runs FSX well. I run FSX on laptops that barely run FS9. That’s what sliders are for.

I ran FS9 for quite a few years before I was able to turn the sliders all the way up. I never had any complaints. I didn’t miss something I wasn’t used to.

specially if you want to run it with full sliders.

I believe this is a high price to put on FSX (actually FSX or FS9). When I started out with Flight Simulator, it appeared that no one was running FS9 with full sliders. It didn’t appear to be a requirement until FSX came out. For me it’s still not a requirement to enjoy the simulator.

personally if you cant run FSX at full sliders, its not worth getting,

Your discussion appears to be suggesting that he should expect to run FS9 or FSX with less than full sliders (before you know his system’s specs). It also sounds like you’re saying it alright to contend with running FS9 at less than full sliders, but FSX isn’t worth getting unless you can run FSX with full sliders.

You might not be saying what it appears to me that you’re saying, but I read your message a number of times before typing a response.

thats just my 2 cents. but seeing as you dont have either version Jack, youre in for a treat either way

post your specs, thats the only way anyone can make any accurate recommendation. you dont want to end up getting one and not being able to run it.

if your PC is pretty old and on the low end tho, be prepared to atleast make minor upgrades, RAM is about the cheapest and best upgrade you can do to a computer.

This I agree with. Again, it sounds like you’re very patient to add resources for FS9. I believe that most people’s computer will grow over time. Since it will it might as well grow into the latest software.

I can understand many users personally staying with FS9 because of their addons’ investment. But I personally can’t understand a person just starting out to start out with less than the latest, whereas if they eventually invest in addons, it’ll all grow together.

I don’t see maximum sliders as the most significant criterion since I won’t miss something I haven’t been using, and will experience a treat on each computer upgrade (which you indicate is costing less and less every day for ram here and ram there, video card here or there, etc.).

I can buy a whole computer for the amount of money I spent on the current ram card I have (when I purchased it).

if you end up not being able to run FS2004, you can also just get FS2002, next best one, and i believe the current version of squawkbox will run just fine on it.

other then that, theres Xplane. ive only tried the demo, someone who uses it may be able to get you more info

By the way, both pilot clients will work with FS2002. I understand that he didn’t post any computer specs. I would be surprised if the user is running less than Windows XP. I can’t imagine significant problems running FS9 on any computer that will be able to run Windows XP.

I would think that if he were running Windows 98 he might have asked what version of Flight Simulator would be recommended for Windows 98.

I know… I read a lot between the lines, and might be totally off-base.

I also understand what a minority my FSX choice/recommendation is. But I gave a followup because my name was addressed in the current followup, to clarify what I had said. It appears that you’re giving just about the exact reasons for my FSX suggestion to recommend against it.

By the way, Ernesto, I’m curious, most likely you’ve posted it a number of times, but which FS version do you run, most of the time (or exclusively)?

I have both installed. I run FSX normally, and fire up FS9 just to test components for support purposes.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

sticky:

thread/message stuck to the top with special meaning… containing important forum information.

For FSInn/VATSIM issues, please test the FSInn Installation sticky and linked FAQ. It really works!

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

FS9 ive never been able to run FSX on my old specs, altho i just recently upgraded my system, pretty much completely, (listed in my sig) so i may decide to give FSX another shot sometime next year after doing some more small upgrades so i know i can get the best out of it. too much invested in FS9 to even think about changing if im only going to get half of what it can do.

you get the trophy for reading in between the lines

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
FS9 ive never been able to run FSX on my old specs, altho i just recently upgraded my system, pretty much completely, (listed in my sig) so i may decide to give FSX another shot sometime next year after doing some more small upgrades so i know i can get the best out of it. too much invested in FS9 to even think about changing if im only going to get half of what it can do.

you get the trophy for reading in between the lines

That part (what's highlighted) I can't argue with. But it's something a new FS9/FSX user might not have to deal with (having too much invested to change).

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

sticky:

Jack Rossini 1137138
Posted
Posted

Hi, I think FS2004 might be a good choice for me. In time I will upgrade. And BTW I use dial up.

I went to Control Panel to see what information I could give of my computer specs:

Dell Pentium

Capacity 31.2 GB

Free space 13.9 GB

XP SP2 Home

Intel chip

DirectX version 9.0

Maximum Graphics Memory 96 MB

Processor x96

Processor speed 2792 MHZ

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

i'd go with FS2004, judging off what you posted, FSX may be a little too much for that rig even at minimum sliders.

i dont think youll be able to run FS2004 at full sliders either but you may atleast get better frame rates, which is pretty much the important part.

what intel version is it tho, Pentium II or III? i used to run FS2004 a few years ago on a similar rig but a Pentium II and minimal settings. it ran ok but im glad i upgraded

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Hi, I think FS2004 might be a good choice for me. In time I will upgrade. And BTW I use dial up.

I went to Control Panel to see what information I could give of my computer specs:

Dell Pentium

Capacity 31.2 GB

Free space 13.9 GB

XP SP2 Home

Intel chip

DirectX version 9.0

Maximum Graphics Memory 96 MB

Processor x96

Processor speed 2792 MHZ

Hi, Jack. I believe you'll be happy with the upgrade. The dial-up won't be a problem.

Except for the small hard drive, you have a bit more than what I started out with. My graphics card was either 8 or 16 megs, but not more. When I upgraded it to 32 megs I was surprised at the difference it brought to FS9.

I'm sure you'll have a great experience with your upgrade and VATSIM. Your computer, in this case, was very much what I had inferred. My processor was about 1.2GHz... less than half what you have.

Personally, I'd get a bigger hard drive and go with FSX. Except for your hard drive you have substantially more than the specified requirements. Both FSX and FS9 will perform well on your computer.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

sticky:

Luke Kolin
Posted
Posted
Personally, I'd get a bigger hard drive and go with FSX. Except for your hard drive you have substantially more than the specified requirements.

Be careful. If he has an integrated graphics card it is very likely that FSX SP2 will refuse to run.

Cheers!

Luke

... I spawn hundreds of children a day. They are daemons because they are easier to kill. The first four remain stubbornly alive despite my (and their) best efforts.

... Normal in my household makes you a member of a visible minority.

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Personally, I'd get a bigger hard drive and go with FSX. Except for your hard drive you have substantially more than the specified requirements.

Be careful. If he has an integrated graphics card it is very likely that FSX SP2 will refuse to run.

Cheers!

Luke

Yes. I already mentioned that he might not be able to run SP2. I had that problem on a couple of old Laptops. While I consider SP2 an important upgrade component, some people say they don't notice the difference.

But again, for me investing in the latest and growing into it more and more would be something to consider.

Of course this is moot now since he has made his decision, which I believe both are good.

By the way, Jack you might consider having a friend download (since it might type you a month to do it on dial-up) the FSX demo to take a look at it. It doesn't do the Sim the best justice, but it is a sample to play with.

If you are interested and PM me your address I'll download and snail-mail you a copy of the demo:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/flightsimulatorx.aspx

It'll take up a lot of your free disk space.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

sticky:

Jack Rossini 1137138
Posted
Posted

Well, looking into Control Panel to get information about my PC is a little confusing. Here is what I found:

Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHZ 2.79 GHZ, 125GB of RAM

INTEL®EXREME GRAPHICS 2 REPORT

Jack Rossini 1137138
Posted
Posted

Yes. I already mentioned that he might not be able to run SP2.

I'm trying to understand what you mean.

I am running XP Service Pack 2

Is that what your referring to?

Jack!

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

that actually works out a bit better, if its a P4 and 2.8 processor you may be able to run FSX, depending on your graphics card ofcourse. but, theres always a but somewhere you will definitely need a ram upgrade, 125 is real low especially for FSX, even for FS9 but its a little more forgiving with 125. bump it up to 256 and youll get a better run from FS9, bump it up to 1 gig or more and youll be doin pretty good

Jack Rossini 1137138
Posted
Posted

Ok, guys I found a place online where I could buy a new set of

MS Flight Simulator 2004.

Once I get this the only problem is controlling the plane by keyboard & mouse which I find difficult.

But anyway it will be a matter of time before I could buy the right wheel, pedal or yoke.

Any recommendations?

Thank you

Jack Rossini

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

EBAY

serious. i bought a yoke and pedal set several years ago for $50 which normally retail for over $130

ive had my trusty Logitech Wingman Extreme joystick tho for over 10 years. only cost $25 at the time at Best Buy, can probably find it for similar price or cheaper now.

you dont need nothing fancy tho, theres joysticks that sell for about $15 which will do just fine until you move up to something better

Larry James 901346
Posted
Posted
Yes. I already mentioned that he might not be able to run SP2.

I'm trying to understand what you mean.

I am running XP Service Pack 2

Is that what your referring to?

Jack!

While I understand it's moot because of your current decision, for your information, we were speaking of the service pack 2 for FSX. It'll refuse to load on many older graphic adapters.

-- L. James

--

L. D. James

[email protected]

www.apollo3.com/~ljames

sticky:

Erhan Atesoglu 1050499
Posted
Posted

Saitek AV8tr is a nice one... won't break the bank either.

Jack Rossini 1137138
Posted
Posted

While I understand it's moot because of your current decision, for your information, we were speaking of the service pack 2 for FSX. It'll refuse to load on many older graphic adapters.

-- L. James

The main reason why I am being careful about PC games is because I am afraid of blue screens. -Should something go wrong.

Sometime ago I thought it would be safer to play flight sims games on Playstation2 or Xbox, but I was disapointed with those games.

The only other problem with PC flight sims are the constant on going up grading.

Jack Rossini

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

wont have to worry too much on that one anymore, MS has stopped development on the Flight Simulator series, unfortunately. so you should have plenty of time to enjoy what you have, it was a big factor in my current upgrade

so for the meantime anyway, the dance of upgrading every 2 years to enjoy the next FS version is stalled.

until another company picks up the pieces

Zsolt Szilagyi 1138006
Posted
Posted

Hello,

I personally go with FSX, but I upgraded my PC to a quadcore and a 9800T... that´s far beyond what you use.

FS9 (aka FS 2004) is a good choice for you. About controlling the planes, you are right to invest in hardware. Keyboard is no option at all. (You wouldn´t controll counterstrike by aiming with the keyboard, either)

You choice is whether to use a Joystick or a Joke.

Stick:

--Cheaper

--Easier to learn

--Takes less space on deck

--Might be used with other games as well

--some Airbusses, all fighters and all racers use it

Yoke:

--More precise

--More forgiving

--you can grab it with any or both hands (!!)

--All the begginer planes (C172...) use it.

How ever, be sure to have throttle controll on your joystick or yoke.

I started with a 40 USD stick with rudder and throttle (black widow iirc) and now switched to a 120USD Yoke system by saitek.