You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

General Plus Voice Related Questions...

James Sandiford 1137130

James Sandiford 1137130
Posted
Posted

I'm new to XSquawkbox and using it in X-Plane.

My setup is an iMac running Snow Leopard, X-Plane 9.4 blah blah blah... (the latest one) and the latest build of XSB

I'm a veteran of the old SB and FS98/FS2000/2002 etc... so this new setup is taking some time and generating a few questions on my part.

First, am I correct that this version has no built in FMS and EFIS display like the old one did?

Next, I... for the life of me can't find the location of the text box, where text only communications are input in this version.

I see the box where all the "other" text traffic is taking place, ATIS etc... I see the who's online list box, but I can't find where I'm supposed to type.

Next, I want to use voice, but I want a good headset/mic comb. Anyone have any recommendations for one to use with the iMac and X-Plane setup?

Thanks in advance.

Peter Bremer 1110397
Posted
Posted (edited)

Edited by Guest

RW CPL-IR-PBN-SEP(A) (VP, RU, T, EFIS)-Night-LPE6

James Sandiford 1137130
Posted
Posted

Thanks!

I go and give it a shot.

Wade Williams 877539
Posted
Posted
First, am I correct that this version has no built in FMS and EFIS display like the old one did?

I think you mean like SquawkBox did. XSquawkBox has never had a built-in MFS or EFIS.

You're correct - and there are no plans to add one. First, XSquawkBox is a pilot client. I don't believe in it providing a million-dollar avionics suite for a Cessna 172. Second, with X-Plane's PlaneMaker, if you want to add the X-Plane FMS or EFIS to any plane, it's literally drag-and-drop.

Next, I want to use voice, but I want a good headset/mic comb. Anyone have any recommendations for one to use with the iMac and X-Plane setup?

I'd recommend a USB headset. Analog PC headsets (the kind with two mini plugs) require the use of a USB converter, so you might as well just use a USB headset from the start. Most any USB headset should work, wether expensive or cheap.

Peter Bremer 1110397
Posted
Posted

RW CPL-IR-PBN-SEP(A) (VP, RU, T, EFIS)-Night-LPE6