You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Folders and installation of 3.1 ??

Hans Utne 813128

Hans Utne 813128
Posted
Posted

Gergely,

Previously I had all files and folders in one single EuroScope folder.

With the new version 3.1, I find that more of the files are now split into the old EuroScope folder, plus a new EuroScope folder under my Docomeents.

Is is possible to change this, or do I now have to share my Docomeents folder with Euroscope??

Hans Utne

VATSIM Pilot & SC

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

You can change it manually after the installation. We moved them intentionally, because in the past the installer deleted the EuroScope folder including all settings. Our suggestion is to keep the personal data in the Docomeents folder, but of course you can change it.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Hans Utne 813128
Posted
Posted

Hi Stephan,

Any suggestion to how? Tried moving the contents of the Docomeent folder, then delete it. Starting ES re-installed ES3.1, including the Doc-folder

Hans Utne

VATSIM Pilot & SC

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

I am not sure what exactly you are trying to do. EuroScope will always install the "personal" files into the Docomeents folder, but you can change the location of the file from within EuroScope. You can change the location from the atis file, from your settings files, etc.. Maybe http://www.euroscope.hu/mediawiki/index.php?title=Where_My_Settings_Are_Saved helps.

Stephan Boerner

Hans Utne 813128
Posted
Posted

Stephan,

What I tried to do was to delete (get rid of) the EuroScope folder within my normal Docomeents folder, as these data has nothing to do with my docomeents!!

Why EuroScope should install the "personal files" within my DOC-area is beyond me, as the previous version had them in the main ES folder (with sub-folders as required). Preferably, this should be up to the user, as a selection.

So the question then is, if all settings can be changed to other locations, WHY should the Euroscope folder then remain in my Docomeents folder?

Hans Utne

VATSIM Pilot & SC

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

That's a question Gergely has to answer. My guess is, that as long anything is supposed to be in that folder, EuroScope will recreate it on startup when it checks for those files. Maybe after you moved all files, including all ICAO files (you can load them over the OpenSCT menu) and no file remains in that folder, ES allows you to delete the folder.

Another reason to move those files was problems with those files under windows 7, when they were stored in the programs folder, which is protected by UAC.

So you can try to move all those files in all ES settings before deleting the folder. It will either work, or it won't, I don't know. But it is not a uncommon thing to store data in the Docomeents folder, so it's not that we introduced something here, that is not yet practiced by thousands of other programs, too The alternative was to store them in the AppData folder, which is hidden by default and therefore we decided against it.

Stephan Boerner

Hans Utne 813128
Posted
Posted

Gotcha, will try.

Luckily I do not have the thousand programs you talk about

So, my Docomeent folder is still what it is supposed to be, namely my Docomeent folder

Hans Utne

VATSIM Pilot & SC

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

Yea, I understand you I have about 10 of those program or game related folders there. In the beginning it was annoying me too, but you get used to it

Stephan Boerner

Eric Bocaneanu 906549
Posted
Posted

Hans,

The reason for this change is quite simple. Program Files is exactly as the name: files for the program. User files mustn't go there. Microsoft really got tight with this rule (and I'm happy - look at Unix based OS X as well) in Windows Vista and 7 and files that are edited by any software in the Program Files folder are NOT saved there. That's why problems with some FS X/FS9 software which save ini files in Program Files. that's why the Users folder is used to save files edited by the user. Docomeents is the obvious choice since there are some files that are actually edited by the user. This is not a gratuitous choice. Microsoft FS X creates Flight Simulator Flights folder in Docomeents to save videos, pictures and saved flights. Adobe creates a Adobe folder to save all Adobe Premiere et al projects.

Simple main reason: follow file location guidelines from Microsoft.

Eric Bocaneanu

ROvACC Director

Eric Bocaneanu

ROvACC Director

Hans Utne 813128
Posted
Posted

Eric,

I see your point, but as I am neither a Win7 nor a Vista user, I still think this ought to be an option selectable by the user.

Hans Utne

VATSIM Pilot & SC

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

We discussed this before the release, but it was not possible to include it as an option into the installer.

Stephan Boerner

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

This issue hit me, too, and I understand the reasoning. The big issue, I think, is that there is no clear path on what to do now that everything is moved. If you move your profiles and your settings.txt file, certain paths (like the paths to the ICAO files) are now incorrect, and everything needs to be reopened for the paths to update. The alternative is to only move the .prf and .asr files, and then manually re-entering your other settings, but that will be extra work.

I know it is too late, I think, but my suggestion would have been:

1. Have a page with suggestions and advise for people who are upgrading (that is, what to expect, and suggestions on what to to)
  2. If possible, have the installer detect an older version, and do not touch the older version, but let the user know that certain things will change, and refer to user to a page with more information.

Hopefully this will make things much easier for the future switch to 3.2a!

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

I found that the links EuroScope creates on the desktop are some type of special links that are trying to call the installer and recreate the Docomeents/EuroScope folder.

I get rid of it by calling EuroScope with a new shortcut, directly to the program. The Docomeents/EuroScope folder is now not accessed any more.

Hans Utne 813128
Posted
Posted

Jonas,

You are absolutely correct, and that solved it for me too

Thank you.

Hans Utne

VATSIM Pilot & SC