You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

TAG - Direct to list won't show up

Eivind Fosse 818131

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

In ES 3.0 I'd made a tag system that included the "Direct to point name". By clicking on it in the detailed mode I was able to set a direct to point to the aircraft.

In ES 3.1 this feature does not seem to work..? I find Direct to point name in the Tag Editor, however it does not show up in the tag...

Am I doing something wrong?

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

I think you are mixing Tag Item and Tag Function. DirectTo is a Tag Item, it can be placed in the Tag to show the point you have set for direct. In order to set direct to you need to add Tag Function (for Left or Right mouse button) "Open COPN coordination point list" or "Open COPX coordination point list", depending of what you need.

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted (edited)

Todor,

I have "Direct to point name" as a Tag Item, between [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned heading and COPN/COPX.

I've also selected that the right mouse button of the "Direct to point name" shall be the "Open next points popup list".

When I press OK, the datatag does contain both [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned heading and COPN/COPX items, but not the Direct to point name.

I have done this in both A+C and S modes yes...

It worked very well in ES 3.0..?

Edited by Guest

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Yes sorry I mean Tag Function "Open next point popup list".

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

I tested this one, and so far I am unable to confirm.

I added the tag item "Direct to point name" to my family to the tagged and detailed level and at the detailed level I also added "Open next point popup list" for the right button. Using this TAG family I was able to popup the next points list when I was tracking the AC. And selecting a new point it was set as direct. Did you do something different?

I compared the code and I was unable to find any real difference (even the item function handler is moved to another area to allow plug-ins to access it).

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

Please take a look at the following two pictures. They've been taken while offline, but I guess that should not matter. Anyway the result is the same as I see when online:

The Tag Editor:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=tjjdmttdjma

Please note that Direct to point name is between [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned heading and Sector entry/exit point name.

Next - the result as seen on the scope:

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=zzot2gomwuy&thumb=4

Please note that that SOPAR is the COPX point and 280 is the COPX altitude. AHDG is the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned heading obviously.

But where is Direct to point name?

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

"Direct to" is filled only when you have set Direct to point. In your case it is not showing simply because it has nothing to show. Do one very simple test use Insert button type some fix and hit enter. You will see it. Also I suggest you use predefined positions for every item in the tag. In that case even if the previous item is empty it will not change the next item position in the tag

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Edvin,

From the pictures it seems that you have added the "direct to" item to a FP track. If they are just simulated traffic (and not uncorrelated FP tracks) then you can not set any direct. And as not tracked by you the popup list will not come up. It is the designed behavior.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

Gergely,

Yes, the pictures are from a FP track, and I'm aware that it would be impossible to change such a track. The images were taken while offline, and I have the same settings for the A+C and S mode correlated tracks.

I've tested what Todor said, and he's absolutely correct. The Direct to shows up when a direct to point is selected. I tested by [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igning the right mouse button on the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned heading item to be Open next points popup list. When right clicking the AHDG the list appeared, and while pressing for example SOPAR it appeared between AHDG and COPX at it should.

The problem with this type of settings though (AHDG - Direct to - COPX) is that if SOPAR is the COPX point, and that is where you've cleared the aircraft direct to, the tag will show "SOPAR SOPAR SOPAR"...

I think AHDG should not change to SOPAR as well. AHDG should remain as AHDG until a specific heading is given to the AC. The reason for this is that you are tracking direct SOPAR yes, but your heading may be something else (due to wind drift).

Eivind

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

The reason for that is because most real systems combine the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign heading and the direct to. What you need is a new tag item AHDG only.

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

Yes, you are correct I need a new tag item.

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

I can not suggest that all type of items will be available as built-in. Unfortunately my resources are limited. Actually this is why the plug-in system has been developed. Items like this should be placed in your own plug-in.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

I guess one would need some programming skills to build a plug-in..? I have none unfortunately...

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

I can do it for you. Will write it tonight and give you link to it.

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted (edited)

Done. Load the plugin, and add the OnlyAHDG Tag Item in your tag. If no heading is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign it shows "AHDG" if a heading is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign it shows Hxxx. Also I added DirectTo Tag Item in which if no Direct to is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign it places 5 spaces, so you can still click on it with Direct To Tag Function (you have to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign it as usual).

=> PlugIn (Be sure to place the rest of the dlls in your Docomeents folder)

Edited by Guest

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

Wow! Thank you! That's amazing!

Jean-Frederik Dion 819740
Posted
Posted

Guys, the "Next points" list don't show up anymore, I confirm. You need to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume the plane for it to work which wasn't the case before. I don't like this either as here we don't track planes on the ground and I use the list item in my departure list a lot.

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

I think we may need to rethink this. In Euroscope "[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume" and "transfer" etc are not radar functions. Of course in Easy mode, you can always [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume a flight through the tag but in pro mode there can be unidentified tags and you can still [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume the flight through a list entry.

I don't see why GND and TWR controllers can't [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume any flight they are working so that they have control of the flight plan and [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated settings and no one else can change them.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

Personally I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume control over every flight, no matter if it's on the ground or not, because I see it as [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming control over an aircraft and not about radar tracking it. "Tracking" is the only way to tell ES and VATSIM "that's mine". In addition to that, there is still the very old discussion about whether or not ES should be allowed to do any changes to flightplans of un[Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed aircraft. So at some point, features might not work without tracking. But I don't think this was (intentionally) implemented yet? Not sure as long as I can't test it myself.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

Instructors in Norway say it is forbidden by VATSIM for a TWR controller to track an aircraft. I wonder why that is? Anybody have a official link to that rule, as I've been unable to find it...

Eivind

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

That's definitly not true. Another incorrect [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umption based on the fact that VRC automatically drops a track of an aircraft after landing. Just because some functions are built into VRC in a specific way, does not make it a rule for VATSIM. There is no such rule (I know of).

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

Thank you Stephan! It does sound very strange to be true...

Michael Pike
Posted
Posted

Certainly in the UK, for a long time now aerodrome controllers have been encouraged not to "track" aircraft as it is unrealistic. There is no rule of course, people are free to use the software however they like. Likewise radar controllers, including me, have grown into the habit of "dropping track" on arrivals when they are p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed to Tower.

But in the real world, you can only work an aircraft by having a transceiver tuned to the stated frequency and there are strict laws regulating who can do that. Suddenly, it seems entirely reasonable to enforce this on VATSIM through this mechanism of "tracking" or "[Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming" which locks other controllers or observers out.

Anyway, apologies for side-tracking this thread.

Mike Pike

VATSIM-UK

Jean-Frederik Dion 819740
Posted
Posted

Certainly in the UK, for a long time now aerodrome controllers have been encouraged not to "track" aircraft as it is unrealistic. There is no rule of course, people are free to use the software however they like. Likewise radar controllers, including me, have grown into the habit of "dropping track" on arrivals when they are p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed to Tower.

But in the real world, you can only work an aircraft by having a transceiver tuned to the stated frequency and there are strict laws regulating who can do that. Suddenly, it seems entirely reasonable to enforce this on VATSIM through this mechanism of "tracking" or "[Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming" which locks other controllers or observers out.

Guess I can only say thanks for translating my thoughts Michael!

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Eivind you updated plugin is uploaded - added two letter ICAO code for Destination Airport and track ID symbol for controlled tracks.

=>PlugIn