By Josh Glottmann 1275389
Ross Carlson 887155 wrote:Yeah, VATSIM servers do not accept text radio transmissions from observer connections.

Is there any way you could force the observer to send a message to the non-observer formatted similaryly to the override command in VRC then having them send the message on frequency?

AAL446A (OBS) transmits on frequency. The actualy transmission is cancelled but instead a message is sent to AAL446 saying: "*** [message]". This could maybe force AAL446 to transmit on frequency saying "[message]"

Maybe this is too compliacted to do
By Bradley Grafelman 1242018
#485978 Would also prop the door wide open for troublemakers who randomly sign in as "observer" callsigns and start overriding you and/or masquerading as you on comms.

Plus, if you're going so far into the realism as to add shared cockpits, hopefully you'll be avoiding text communications if at all possible, too. ;)
By Ross Carlson 887155
Josh Glottmann 1275389 wrote:
Ross Carlson 887155 wrote:Yeah, VATSIM servers do not accept text radio transmissions from observer connections.

Is there any way you could force the observer to send a message to the non-observer formatted similaryly to the override command in VRC then having them send the message on frequency?

AAL446A (OBS) transmits on frequency. The actualy transmission is cancelled but instead a message is sent to AAL446 saying: "*** [message]". This could maybe force AAL446 to transmit on frequency saying "[message]"

Maybe this is too compliacted to do

I had the same exact thought when I first read Magnus' post, but I think there's something fundamentally wrong with creating a feature whereby one user can take action on the network using another user's account.

I think perhaps the right way to handle this is to introduce some changes to VATSIM's network architecture that are specifically designed for shared cockpit operations. Obviously that's much easier said than done, but not outside the realm of possibility.
By Ross Carlson 887155
Ricardo Santos 1108947 wrote:Is there any possibility to remove the shadow aircraft when both pilots are online, using the observer feature?

Are you saying both pilots are connected as observer? Why would you do that?
By Ross Carlson 887155
Ricardo Santos 1108947 wrote:Negative. only one as obs and the other with a normal conn (forgot to mention that).

Then it should already be removing the shadow aircraft, provided you followed the instructions for how to choose your callsigns.
By Luiz Silveira 1080618
#486437 Hi there,

Firstly, great job with vPilot! I've been using it for a while and love it.

Pardon if my question is a bit stupid but I'm borderline IT-handicapped: Is there a way for a second person/computer to connect without having FSX installed on the second machine?

My idea came from the possibility of connecting via network with simconnect. Would it be possible to connect the main FSX computer with the "normal callsign" and then a network computer with the observer callsign? In this way only one would fly the aircraft but both could handle comms.

Thanks!
By Bradley Grafelman 1242018
Luiz Silveira 1080618 wrote:Would it be possible to connect the main FSX computer with the "normal callsign" and then a network computer with the observer callsign? In this way only one would fly the aircraft but both could handle comms.

Given that you can't have multiple connections to VATSIM and that observers aren't allowed to transmit... I'd say your idea is pretty much dead in the water just from a VATSIM network standpoint, let alone considering that the setup you're describing doesn't seem very common at all.
By Luiz Silveira 1080618
Bradley Grafelman 1242018 wrote:Given that you can't have multiple connections to VATSIM and that observers aren't allowed to transmit... I'd say your idea is pretty much dead in the water just from a VATSIM network standpoint, let alone considering that the setup you're describing doesn't seem very common at all.

Yeah, I can imagine the setup isn't common. I was just wondering if there would be a workaround to get it to work. I thought it wouldn't be against the rules though, as it wouldn't be multiple connections of the same user if there's more than one user.

Thanks for clarifying it and for the very quick response! Image
By Ross Carlson 887155
#486443 Observers can't transmit on text, but they can transmit on voice.

What you're proposing actually wouldn't be too hard to implement. The only reason it wouldn't work with vPilot as it stands today is the fact that both copies of vPilot would be injecting traffic into the same single instance of FSX, so every aircraft would have a duplicate. I could make a simple change to vPilot to allow one of the pilots to turn off the injecting of traffic.

Though I agree that this must be a very rare use case ... it wouldn't be much fun for the one guy that does nothing but talk on the radio. :)