By Ross Carlson 887155
#487241 This is just a brief note to the vPilot user base to let you know that I have removed the IVAO model matching rule set from the vPilot server so it is no longer available for download within the client. If you'd like to know why, read on:

I did so because IVAO wants their model set to be used only when flying on IVAO. While I'm not explicitly violating the IVAO user agreement by providing the model matching rules file, I am acting against their wishes, because I'm enabling vPilot users to violate the IVAO agreement. I've been on the fence about this issue ever since I released vPilot and saw that many users wanted to use the IVAO model set with vPilot on VATSIM. Someone created a model matching rule set for the IVAO models and I posted it for download, figuring I wasn't technically doing anything against their user agreement, and I can't stop users from distributing that file among themselves anyway.

However, I recently became aware of another network (not IVAO) that was reverse engineering some of my code and using one of my clients on their own network. I sent an email to that group asking them to stop. This made me reconsider my decision to post the IVAO model matching rule set for download from the vPilot server. For me to continue to enable users to act against IVAO's wishes is really just hypocritical behavior on my part. As such, I will no longer provide that file for download, nor distribute it through other means, and obviously I won't be using the IVAO model set on my own system. (I just use World of AI models.) I also will not knowingly allow the vPilot forums to be used to distribute the file or provide support for using the IVAO models with vPilot.

Lastly, I encourage every vPilot user to delete the IVAO model matching rules from your vPilot configuration and respect the wishes (and user agreement) of the IVAO model set developers. Obviously, you can keep on using the IVAO model set on VATSIM and there's essentially nothing anybody can do about it, but I hope you'll all consider joining me in this one small effort to "do the right thing". Those of you that do so, you have my thanks.
By Ross Carlson 887155
Josh Glottmann 1275389 wrote:Do you have any tips on how to go about installing the vast amounts of different airlines included in WOAI?

It's been a while since I set up my WoAI models, but if I remember right, I just downloaded each airline that I wanted and unzipped them manually.
By Matthew Garner 941466
Ross Carlson 887155 wrote:
Josh Glottmann 1275389 wrote:Do you have any tips on how to go about installing the vast amounts of different airlines included in WOAI?

It's been a while since I set up my WoAI models, but if I remember right, I just downloaded each airline that I wanted and unzipped them manually.

Seems like a bit of a pain if you wanted the major airlines but having to click download on each one, could take a while for sure :(
By Matt Davies 999034
#487277 Hi Ross,

Interesting topic.

I understand where you are coming from, especially considering the situation with your client being used elsewhere.

However, IVAO are essentially distributing "free to use" AI models/liveries. They have their own in house team who make sure that the library is structured correctly & kept up to date, but apart from that, you can get them anywhere. Also, as far as I'm aware the non stock AI liveries are user contributed.

Perhaps it's time we had our own in house team of "model matchers" that can keep the library up to date. We already have the ability to download/update files within vPilot, so surely it wouldn't be difficult to implement?

I'm more than certain there would be enough volunteers to make it work.

vPilot was a huge step in the right direction to bring our pilot experience in line with that of controllers. If we sorted out the model matching, all that's left is the voice quality and we're good to go!

Cheers.
By Ernesto Alvarez 818262
#487278 there was/is a project already in the works for an in-house model set which will accept submissions from the general user. its one of the projects being done by the Swift team which Ross has previously mentioned will support when thats done.

Samuel Poon 1234411 wrote:hope can support ice ai /sky ai

Ice AI and Sky AI are the same team and they have had issues with developers with the way they have chosen to conduct themselves.

the models are free, but people often mistake free with "do whatever you want with them". IVAO also uses many of these same free models, the difference is they went through the proper channels and got the permissions.
By Josh Glottmann 1275389
#487279 With Matt's idea, we could also implement something to take into account the numerous VATSIM VAs that use callsigns that are either used by a small airline, or just don't exist at all.

CXA (Xiamen or Canadian Xpress), DVA (Delta [Virtual]), UKV (UK Virtual), etc.

This would require a lot of work, like most of VATSIM's global projects but could be beneficial in the long run.
By Deon Mathews 1188217
Ernesto Alvarez 818262 wrote:there was/is a project already in the works for an in-house model set which will accept submissions from the general user. its one of the projects being done by the Swift team which Ross has previously mentioned will support when thats done.

I remember this project from about 2 years ago. Is it still alive?
http://vrep.vatsim-germany.org/Flyer.html
By Tim Wong 1179662
Deon Mathews 1188217 wrote:I remember this project from about 2 years ago. Is it still alive?
http://vrep.vatsim-germany.org/Flyer.html

No, not as a separated project. But this team has been already integrated into the Swift project team.
By Ross Carlson 887155
#487287 Yes, VATSIM absolutely needs its own model set which could be distributed with the pilot clients. A lot of new vPilot users assume that the client comes with a default model set and they get confused when it tells them to download a model matching rule set and then find out that downloading the rule set does not actually download the models. That's the only hurdle that is preventing vPilot from being literally an install-and-go-fly client.