By Ross Carlson 887155
Jason Adriaan 1274456 wrote:In FSinn there was the ability to stop it from injecting traffic. This is useful, when flying shared cockpit in multiplayer on the network, otherwise multiple sets of traffic are injected on top of one another.

vPilot 1.1 It already has observer mode which prevents you from getting a duplicate of your own aircraft during shared cockpit operations. Why would you want to block ALL aircraft? You shouldn't get duplicates of other aircraft unless you are on VATSIM *AND* you are connecting via FSX multiplayer. (Don't do that.)

Jason Adriaan 1274456 wrote:Also FSinn had a traffic radar, any chance of something similar?

Feel free to post that suggestion in another thread. I'd like to keep this thread on topic.

Jason Adriaan 1274456 wrote:Lastly, FSinn model matching, would use all aircraft you had installed, but in flight you could edit what aircraft you were seeing . I.e if you were seeing CAW332 as a B738 in the comair livery, you could change it to see them as a Cessna 172 etc, which is sometimes very useful, when it sets the incorrect aircraft to start with.

I never used FSInn, so I'm not sure how that worked. If you wanted to change the model shown for a given aircraft, how did you do that exactly? Did you enter the actual name of the model, or did you just give it a new type code? (I assume the latter.)

I have definitely considered having a way to override the type code for an aircraft since pilots often get that wrong when they connect, or they're using an old client that might broadcast the type code as ZZZZ, etc.
By Pavel Brodsky 982568
#495260 Ross,
those are great ideas. But when you will be able to use voice on one of two computers at one time, would it be difficult for you to enable fully independent voice for both clients? There is a LOT of people who build/have built home cockpits for two crewmembers and it would be just awesome if we could have two fully independent set of radios - so that each pilot can tune whichever frequency he wants and transmit on whichever frequency he wants - so that for example both pilots can transmit simultaneously, one with ACC controller while the other one is arranging oceanic clearence, etc. (or VFR flying in controlled airspace where one pilot is talking with Tower, while the other one is informing local untowered VFR airport nearby about their position). I know those are not very often used scenarios, but they are certainly possible in real world, and sometimes they are used.

Best regards,
Pavel
By Jason Adriaan 1274456
Ross Carlson 887155 wrote:I never used FSInn, so I'm not sure how that worked. If you wanted to change the model shown for a given aircraft, how did you do that exactly? Did you enter the actual name of the model, or did you just give it a new type code? (I assume the latter.)

I have definitely considered having a way to override the type code for an aircraft since pilots often get that wrong when they connect, or they're using an old client that might broadcast the type code as ZZZZ, etc.

Basically, you could see a list of all the traffic by Callsign, and for each aircraft , you could get a drop down menu of all the traffic/liveries you have, and pick one for that aircraft.
By Peter Allnutt 893618
#495263 Another vote to consider a local override to display a model of choice. Not only is this useful when someone has entered the wrong ICAO code, or reports ZZZZ, it is also useful in the world of GA when several people all turn up in the same model. You can then change them in to the colour scheme they are flying (if you know it). There are usually no airline codes to aid the matching for GA aircraft to help with livery selection.

This really needs to be thought about for the automatic model matching rules too. VMRGenerator doesn't process aircraft.cfg files if the atc_parking_codes/CallSignPrefix field is blank. This is often the case for GA aircraft (both full blown flyable models and for some AI ones) and thus no rule is made.

You state we'll still be able to have a local rules file, are you planning on changing the format of these? Will we just be able to continue to use any we have without alteration?

TIA
By Ross Carlson 887155
Pavel Brodsky 982568 wrote:Ross,
those are great ideas. But when you will be able to use voice on one of two computers at one time, would it be difficult for you to enable fully independent voice for both clients?

It's not two separate clients, it's one client, with a "remote control" view on the remote computer.

To do this right would actually be quite complicated. There would need to be some way for vPilot to know which radio (COM1 or COM2) each pilot was using. There's no way to do that via SimConnect (since FSX/P3D were not designed for multi-crew ops) so there would have to be some proprietary vPilot API that would link to switches in the cockpit hardware. We could get around this by having the pilot ALWAYS on COM1, and the co-pilot ALWAYS on COM2, but that's a hack.

Then there would have to be a way of configuring a separate audio device and a separate PTT for each pilot.

Totally doable, but a lot of work, for a very small subset of the user base, so I don't see it happening.
By Ross Carlson 887155
Jason Adriaan 1274456 wrote: Basically, you could see a list of all the traffic by Callsign, and for each aircraft , you could get a drop down menu of all the traffic/liveries you have, and pick one for that aircraft.

Uhm ... so for me that dropdown would have several thousand entries. No way I'd ever scroll through that looking for a specific model. Am I missing something?

Some sort of model search box would make much more sense, I think.
By Ross Carlson 887155
Peter Allnutt 893618 wrote:Another vote to consider a local override to display a model of choice. Not only is this useful when someone has entered the wrong ICAO code, or reports ZZZZ, it is also useful in the world of GA when several people all turn up in the same model. You can then change them in to the colour scheme they are flying (if you know it). There are usually no airline codes to aid the matching for GA aircraft to help with livery selection.

One thing I've been considering is to have vPilot not choose the same model as one that is already in use, unless there are no other suitable matches. So if you have 5 different C172 paint schemes, and two of them are in use already, it'll pick one of the other three at random. Same for airliners with multiple schemes like JetBlue, Southwest, etc. That will help with the issue you mentioned. Note that I'm not saying I won't provide a way to choose a specific model ... just mentioning a way to help prevent several aircraft appearing in the same paint job.

Peter Allnutt 893618 wrote:This really needs to be thought about for the automatic model matching rules too. VMRGenerator doesn't process aircraft.cfg files if the atc_parking_codes/CallSignPrefix field is blank. This is often the case for GA aircraft (both full blown flyable models and for some AI ones) and thus no rule is made.

vPilot's automatic model matching will work differently. It will use a database of known model info in order to determine what the callsign prefix and aircraft type code are for each model it finds on your machine. If it finds a model that isn't in the model database, then it'll use the atc_parking_codes line to see if it contains a known airline code. So it will make use of any GA models you have as long as they're in the model database. As I mentioned in the original post, when it scans your installed models, it will send information about any models that aren't in the database to the vPilot web server, so that I can manually look at the data and add entries to the database. The updated database will be downloaded to your machine the next time you launch vPilot, and that model will be available for matching from then on.

Peter Allnutt 893618 wrote:You state we'll still be able to have a local rules file, are you planning on changing the format of these? Will we just be able to continue to use any we have without alteration?

So far I haven't come across any need to change the format, and I'd certainly like to keep it the same if possible since I know lots of users and VAs have created custom files already.
By Peter Allnutt 893618
Ross Carlson 887155 wrote:Some sort of model search box would make much more sense, I think.
From memory FSInn went Manufacturer->Model->Paint Schemes. There wasn't one huge list.

Thanks for the other feedback too :) Looks like good progress to me.
By Ross Carlson 887155
Alex Ridge 1242345 wrote:Can we have proper sets where

B73H = Boeing 737-800 with winglets
B738 = without
B752 = Boeing 757-200 without winglets
B75W= with winglets?

Is this possible? I imagine some more fundamental code will need updating??

That's just a matter of making sure the model database has the right type code for each model.

However, I think you might be asking a bit much of the users if you expect them to use B73H for their 738 with winglets. :)
By Kirk Christie 956763
Alex Ridge 1242345 wrote:Can we have proper sets where

B73H = Boeing 737-800 with winglets
B738 = without
B752 = Boeing 757-200 without winglets
B75W= with winglets?

Is this possible? I imagine some more fundamental code will need updating??

Thats incorrect because 73H is an IATA code and B738 is an ICAO code. People should be signing into vatsim with the ICAO codes.

IATA codes dont include the B where as ICAO does.

A B738 is a 737-800 with or with out winglets as far as ICAO is concerned.

A 73H is a 737-800 with winglets and a 738 is a 737-800 with out.

IATA is for airport parking. A 73H needs a bigger parking spot than a 738.
By Artyom Maslyonkin 1099699
Ross Carlson 887155 wrote:There are a number of reasons why many vPilot users like to run vPilot on a computer other than the one that runs FSX/P3D. It may be because they run FSX full screen and it's a major pain to switch over to the vPilot window when necessary. Or they just want to be able to see the vPilot window at all times and don't have a second monitor. Some just want to reserve every last bit of CPU power on their sim machine for the sim itself.

I think one of best upgrades/decissions for the 'one comuter scheeme' is to let it run as module of fsx/p3d (as other everyknown pilot client) and let the user decides what they want so they could change mode of running and comfort rk in full-sceeen mode with text.

Anyway, planned upgrades are perfect!
By Andrew Stacey 1315093
#495371 It's really great news you can pick which PC the audio comes from. I tried the old vpilot on my network where the chat function worked really well. However I have a MacBook Pro running Windows for my slave PC and the Mic port is not amped. So I could use the radio function.
How long till v2 is released ruffly :)