By Adam Vianna 1159285
#499426 Sometimes I'll QB a callsign and type it in wrong, either because a pilot calls ups as "DAL123" when he's logged in as DVA123 or I just mishear it. This puts the squawk in the code window and removes it from the pool of those available to assign. Is there a way to reverse this? I've tried using QX <squawk> but I get a not tracking error. QB only toggles the highlight feature without removing the code.
By Adam Vianna 1159285
#499594 QB (CODE) only toggles the manual highlight and won't remove the code from the list and I can't slew the target whose code I want to recycle since it doesn't exist.

I'll have to try the amendment method, but I don't suppose vERAM will take 0000 like VRC does?
By Benton Wilmes 965807
#499742 QB_(code)_<enter> should remove any code from your code list or will add it to the list if not already in it. At least it works on my side.

I.E. QB 1200 <enter> will put the code in the list or remove it if entered again.

What do you mean by "manual highlight" though? If you mean you can see that code on the scope and it dwells, then the code is in your list and if it isn't dwelled it is not so not sure what you mean.
By Ross Carlson 887155
#499814 What's happening is that the QB command will create a tentative flight plan for the erroneous callsign, and assign a discrete beacon code to that plan. In the real system, I imagine they would use the RS ("remove strips") command for this, but since there is no way to delete a flight plan in the VATSIM world, I did not implement RS in vERAM.

"QB 0000 DAL123" will work, but only once. If you try it again on another callsign, you'll get a "beacon code in use" error. So you'll have to use 0001 etc.

Note that such flight plans will be purged by the system after 30 minutes if no target or track appears.
By Ryan Geckler 1104849
#499835 Yeah, a beacon code will time out if it's not picked up on radar after some short amount of time. A flight plan will time out after 30 minutes.
By Cardin Pelletier 1098471
Adam Vianna 1159285 wrote:Sometimes I'll QB a callsign and type it in wrong, either because a pilot calls ups as "DAL123" when he's logged in as DVA123 or I just mishear it. This puts the squawk in the code window and removes it from the pool of those available to assign. Is there a way to reverse this? I've tried using QX <squawk> but I get a not tracking error. QB only toggles the highlight feature without removing the code.

I have the same problem all of the time when using STARS or ERAM. An aircraft calls up, I attempt to assign a beacon code to that aircraft and, in the case of ERAM, I end up not acquiring the aircraft under the callsign I entered because the callsign I entered was different from that which the pilot signed on to the network with. This can get pretty tricky if, for example, you have a "UAL42" call up, but they've signed on to the network as "UNITED42." Or, a CFBDX call up who has signed on to the network as "C-FBDX". If you don't put the dash, you will not get a track. It shouldn't matter where or not I enter "UAL42" or "UNITED42" -- once a flight plan is created with that ACID and a code is assigned and subsequently squawked by an aircraft, it should tag it accordingly. Of course, I realize this is a technical limitation of VATSIM caused by how everything works on the back end.

Any thoughts?
By Ross Carlson 887155
Cardin Pelletier 1098471 wrote:Any thoughts?

My thoughts are that this is mainly a side-effect of users doing something they shouldn't. They shouldn't connect using callsigns with a hyphen, and they shouldn't connect using callsigns with invalid airline code prefixes.

I suppose I could modify the clients so that if you assign a code with "QB UAL123" and then later a target appears with some other callsign (such as UNITED123) squawking the assigned code, and that callsign (UNITED123) doesn't already have a code assigned, it would grab UAL123's code and assign it to UNITED123, and then the track would auto-initiate. I haven't thought this through enough to say whether or not it could cause unexpected problems such as with pilot's accidentally (or willfully) "stealing" each other's beacon codes.

Thoughts?
By Ross Carlson 887155
Josh Glottmann 1275389 wrote:
Ross Carlson 887155 wrote:Thoughts?

Check if anyone within the controller's vis range matches UAL123, UA123, UNITED123. If there is only one, assign the beacon to whichever one exists, otherwise throw an error.

I used permutations of UAL as an example of the larger problem of callsign mismatch. I wouldn't want to come up with all possible permutations of all airline codes and check for them all.