Notices For Upcoming Fly-in Events Planned On The VATSIM Network.
By Gunnar Lindahl 967365
#517763 Image

The wait is finally over...

VATSIM Cross The Pond Eastbound 2017 will take place on Saturday 14th October.

About Cross The Pond

Cross The Pond takes place twice a year (westbound in March, eastbound in October) and is one of the busiest and most sought after events in the VATSIM calendar. It is a mass crossing of the North Atlantic with full ATC offered the whole way, with heavy traffic levels guaranteed for your whole flight.

Which airports are taking part?

Departure airfields:

New York John F. Kennedy International (KJFK)
Toronto Pearson (CYYZ)
Boston (KBOS)
Washington Dulles (KIAD)
Orlando International (KMCO)

Arrival fields:

Amsterdam Schiphol (EHAM)
London Gatwick (EGKK)
Düsseldorf (EDDL)
Oslo Gardermoen (ENGM)
Copenhagen (EKCH)
Dublin (EIDW)

How, and when, can I book?

Bookings will open on Saturday 30th September at 1500z at the Cross The Pond website. There will be approximately 600 slots, and these will be allocated on as first come first served basis.

Please note that the 600 slots sold out in 37 minutes last time round, so get in there quickly when bookings open!

Can I fly without a slot?

You sure can, but expect delays, particularly on the ground, and your planned route may be amended. If flying without a slot, it's important that you check this forum thread the night before the event as we'll be posting compulsory routings for you to use for your flight.

How do I keep up to date with further announcements, and get involved on the day?

We'll be using this thread to post announcements, so please do subscribe to it. We'll also be highlighting major updates on our Facebook page and Twitter feed.

Cross The Pond has a dedicated Twitter account which will be posting important updates right up to, and during, the event. Use the hastag #vatsimctp - get involved!

We look forward to seeing you there.

By Niels Voogd 1331163
#517765 Yes! Cross the Pond, the event we're all looking forward to!

one Q; will a pilot briefing for oceanic be distributed this time? i remember the chaos(and fun on your oceanic freq if i recall correctly ;P) we had 6 months ago because people kept reporting in on frequencies when it was not their turn. maybe instruct people to report to oceanic only their callsign via text and they'll be added to the queue. maybe this queue could be a visible list somewhere online so people can keep track if it's their turn?

there is always room for improvement ;)

looking forward to it!
By DANIEL ROE 1010937
Niels Voogd 1331163 wrote:one Q; will a pilot briefing for oceanic be distributed this time? i remember the total chaos(and fun on your oceanic freq if i recall correctly ;P) we had 6 months ago because people kept reporting in on frequencies when it was not their turn. maybe instruct people to report to oceanic only their callsign via text and they'll be added to the queue. maybe this queue could be a visible list somewhere online so people can keep track if it's their turn?

You can drag a horse to water but you can't make it drink...
This has been an issue in every single CTP crossing I've done. Simply put, there's a lot of pilots out there who just don't read the documentation supplied, get impatient and step on everyone else's transmissions. It's got to the point where I don't bother with voice in Oceanic anymore and just send pos rep's by text and monitor selcal.
By Johnny Coughlan 861497
DANIEL ROE 1010937 wrote:
Niels Voogd 1331163 wrote:one Q; will a pilot briefing for oceanic be distributed this time? i remember the total chaos(and fun on your oceanic freq if i recall correctly ;P) we had 6 months ago because people kept reporting in on frequencies when it was not their turn. maybe instruct people to report to oceanic only their callsign via text and they'll be added to the queue. maybe this queue could be a visible list somewhere online so people can keep track if it's their turn?

You can drag a horse to water but you can't make it drink...
This has been an issue in every single CTP crossing I've done. Simply put, there's a lot of pilots out there who just don't read the documentation supplied, get impatient and step on everyone else's transmissions. It's got to the point where I don't bother with voice in Oceanic anymore and just send pos rep's by text and monitor selcal.

#newvoicecodec may?, would make a great stress test.
By Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
#517776 The best thing to avoid the crossing muck ups is to have more controllers. Westbound the guy was doing great BUT he had several different tracks and he literally couldn't keep up. He was totally at capacity and being efficient at it, pilots were being "good" but there's only so many transmissions. It got several checkpoints behind (i.e. 30mins + wait to call in). I really enjoyed actually it was just frustrating for the controller and all the pilots waiting in line to call in.
By Camden Bruno 1253785
Ryan Geckler 1104849 wrote:
Lindsey Wiebe 1101951 wrote:The best thing to avoid the crossing muck ups is to have more controllers. .

Thanks for volunteering!

Indeed, sounds like it's time for Lindsey to start controller training!
By Robert Shearman Jr 1155655
Gunnar Lindahl 967365 wrote:VATSIM Cross The Pond Eastbound 2017 will take place on Saturday 14th October.

Oh no! I was really pulling for the 21st. I most likely won't be able to make it. :-( My only shot is if my work obligation for the 14th ends up being late evening instead of its more probable morning/midday schedule. I'll try to book an early slot just in case, but as soon as my work schedule for the 14th is made clear (at least a week in advance, maybe two) I'll drop the slot if I can't do it and let someone else grab it up instead.
Gunnar Lindahl 967365 wrote:Departure airfields: {...}
Arrival fields: {...}
There will be approximately 600 slots,

Wow, five departure locations and six arrivals? 600 slots? Am I correct in saying this is more than what's been common for past events? My recollection is that lately it's always been four and four, with 450-500 slots?

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but more than likely I'll have to wait until March. :-(
By Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
Camden Bruno 1253785 wrote:
Ryan Geckler 1104849 wrote:
Lindsey Wiebe 1101951 wrote:The best thing to avoid the crossing muck ups is to have more controllers. .

Thanks for volunteering!

Indeed, sounds like it's time for Lindsey to start controller training!

I knew that was coming as soon as I wrote it! :shock:

It was totally meant as constructive and could very well have been due to lack of volunteers; like I said he did awesome and the pilots played nice, it was just a capacity issue. I remember someone posted a twitter that day of a muppet (possibly "Animal") whacking away at a keyboard with papers flying everywhere and that was EXACTLY what I envisioned. I do believe I told him to grab a beer as I was exiting the track due to his excellent work and effort.

Did I deflect enough?! :lol:
By Joaquin Blanco 860975
#517828 From my previous experience on CTP if you are one of the lucky ones departing early you are not likely to experience much congestion on the Oceanic frequencies, but as more pilots begin to enter the airspace the frequencies become heavily congested it becomes more difficult to get through to give your position reports. Knowing that this has always been an issue I cannot understand why we don't have a freq where position reports are made via text only and the controller simply copies back report and confirms receipt. This would somehow assist those pilots having difficulties getting through the voice channel and alleviate the voice frequencies. A single text freq should suffice. Just a suggestion.

Bests
By Eric Dziura 1333069
#517867 Did my first CTP earlier this year. Fantastic!

I have a request:

Could you please post a intructions/tutorial on using the CTP flight booking process/pages. It was somewhat confusing, and a significant amount of time was lost figuring it out.

Thank you for this great event.
By David Zhong 1027224
Lindsey Wiebe 1101951 wrote:The best thing to avoid the crossing muck ups is to have more controllers. Westbound the guy was doing great BUT he had several different tracks and he literally couldn't keep up. He was totally at capacity and being efficient at it, pilots were being "good" but there's only so many transmissions. It got several checkpoints behind (i.e. 30mins + wait to call in). I really enjoyed actually it was just frustrating for the controller and all the pilots waiting in line to call in.

Some of us have suggested having radio operators (with less training than an oceanic controller) collect the position reports into a form suitable for the controllers to use. Let's face it--collecting position reports is not controlling. Controlling is about separating aircraft and finding ways to accommodate requests from pilots (e.g. level changes etc.) Anecdotally (from CTP controllers), the "controllers" spend so much of their time catching up on position reports that not much controlling happens.
By Joerg Dolgner 881387
#517956 It's calm here just before the run on the slots … :wink: Maybe I can attract the attention of the organization team to a suggestion I have for the next time. It's about the airfield voting.

I'm a continous CTP pilot since 2008 and missed only 2 CTPs in this time due for professional reasons. In the first years pilots did not have any influence on the event airports. You had to take what was offered to you. Then the voting was introduced, and everything became better.

Really everything? I think not. When I look back at the votings, I see that they mostly led to the same, predictable and consistently boring results. I think the votings are basically good, and I can understand pilots who want to fly from KBOS/CYYZ/KJFK/KEWR/KIAD to EGLL/EGKK/EHAM every time (or the other direction in april). I also did that - sometimes!

(my first CTP was EGLL-KEWR, my second CYYZ-EGKK and the last one EHAM-CYYZ as ACA825P because I was a passenger on the real world AC825 flight at July 9 this year - my real world return flight UA70 from KEWR to EHAM is not a possibility at this CTP)

But on the other hand I am interested in increasing my virtual experience. And at almost every voting I see airports as newcomers, applying the first time to be an event airport for CTP. So this time it was CYYC, some time ago for example KIAH. But I have always been right when I have predicted that these newcomers have no chance of being voted. Which I find very unfortunate. I also try to imagine the efforts and considerations in the affected vARTCCs, whether there are able to perform a CTP, and the disappointment when not being voted.

(And I am also disappointed because I would have preferred to fly the first time a CTP departing from Calgary - also, but certainly not only because I have been there in reality this summer)

So here is my suggestion to the organization team:

What do you think about (and what does the community think about) that the organization team should decide 1 or 2 airports (preferred newcomers or other airports which are in a special way interesting) to be fixed as event airports in advance, to then make the votings only between the remaining applicants?