By Mark Niehold 1077432
#278064 My call sign is SWA 65 I have never had a problem connecting to Vatsim My current problem is I cannot login into VATSIM. It gives me a temp green light with no ding sound at all indicating I am logged in. And then turns red and kicks me out? This has occured every since I have tried to login in using FSX shared skies trying to connect with a friend whom is member of VATSIM as well. We have used PRC Developement WEB to connect as co-pilot and pilot and te CIX club program. And we cannot connect at all sharing aircraft period. If we cannot share aircraft we then fly the same route with spacing.

First I would like to re-estblish my own VATSIM connection under SWA 65 second I would like to know how to properly connect with a co-pilot or pilot with in VATSIM. Any all suggestions are welcome especially from the experanced members. One last thing I am using FSUIPC to control my CH products if this at all helps.

Thanks agiain for your your help,

SWA65
By Geoffrey Drayson 830103
Mark Niehold 1077432 wrote:My call sign is SWA 65 I have never had a problem connecting to Vatsim My current problem is I cannot login into VATSIM. It gives me a temp green light with no ding sound at all indicating I am logged in. And then turns red and kicks me out? This has occured every since I have tried to login in using FSX shared skies trying to connect with a friend whom is member of VATSIM as well. We have used PRC Developement WEB to connect as co-pilot and pilot and te CIX club program. And we cannot connect at all sharing aircraft period. If we cannot share aircraft we then fly the same route with spacing.

First I would like to re-estblish my own VATSIM connection under SWA 65 second I would like to know how to properly connect with a co-pilot or pilot with in VATSIM. Any all suggestions are welcome especially from the experanced members. One last thing I am using FSUIPC to control my CH products if this at all helps.

Thanks agiain for your your help,

SWA65

You have opened PANDORA's BOX !!!
SB4 does not fully "support" FSX's Shared Cockpit, and there are a number of issues when you try to use FSX's Shared Cockpit. FsINN / FsCopilot goes some way to solve these issues, but even that interface has remaining issues.

On the bright side, you SHOULD be able to manage a Shared cockpit flight with SB4.

#1 HIGHLY recommend one of you HOST your own FSX server session, and only allow the other pilot to join it. ( Do NOT use a FSX server with others on it .. * will explain why later).

#2 Estabish a Shared Cockpit connection -- making sure that one is set up to SHARE his aircraft, and the other is not ( or you cannot share ).

#3 Get setup at your Airports gate, and make sure all is well with the FSX shared Cockpit connection.

#4 Now connect to Vatsim, using SB4. Use the SAME callsign, with the co-pilot appending an "_" to the end of their callsign.

#4 BOTH squawk STANDBY. When it is time to Squawk MODE C, only the Pilot (the one without the appened "_" should use Mode C .. the other pilot should stay in Standby throughout the flight.

#5 Pilot files the flight plan .. suggest you put in notes. "FSX-Shared Cockpit", so ATC understands why they are seeing TWO tagets on top of each other. SB4 does NOT have the ability, like FSINN, to make one pilot an "OBSERVER".

OFF you go .... have fun .... ( and hope you do not fly into airspace where there are too many other pilots flying within your SB4 MP range.)

Here is why ... Gets a little techical...

(1) When the Pilot HOSTING the FSX session connects to Vatsim, SB4 puts AI aircraft into the FSX client (so you see the other planes in the vatsim session).
(2) (Unfortunatly) The Pilots FSX Multplayer server session "SEES" those AI aircarft, and makes them part of the FSX MP session, passing them across to the Co-pilot, as another set of AI aircraft.
(3) Also, the Co-pilot, who is connected to Vatsim, via SB4, and getting the SB4 vatsim AI aircraft, also sends them as AI aircraft back through the FSX MP connection, generating another set of AI aircraft back on the Pilots PC.
(4) The more Vatsim AI aircraft that each Players sees, the more Duplicates get generated and passed back and forth in the FSX MP connection.
(5) To make matters worse, once Created in the FSX MP session, those AI aiarcarft are not removed, even when the Vatsim SB aircraft are destroyed, typically by going out of range.

So, masses of FSX MP AI aircraft get generated across the FSX MP connection, and things start to BOG down on both computers. And it can only get worse.

( You can see this with TRAFFIC TOOLS)

BTW: You also see a GHOST of yourself, as does the co-pilot see a ghost of himself.
You both see your FSX planes, and on top, your SB planes. !!!! And the SB4 plane LAGGS whan you move !!!!

Now, add in any other FSX MP aircraft in your FSX MP session ( The ones I told you not to allow in). They do the same -- they all get all the Vatsim AI aircarft that have been generated in the FSX MP connection, and pass them around, generating even more multiple copies of the AI aircarft .. soon all computer in the FSX MP session grind to a overloaded halt, or at best, start lagging badly.

Then, as a final GIFT, if you have BOTH been using someone's FSX MP server, when YOU both leave that server, all those MP AI aircraft REMAIN on that server, to continue to LAG it, and anyone else who joins that server !!!!!

All this happens because ASCE decided (or actually, did not REALISE until too late ???), that AI aircraft would propogate through a FSX MP session. ( Classic example is the Glider's TOW Plane, an AI aiaracft that also behaves as above, and once generated, remain for ever on the MP server, and propogating to anyone connected). This leads to .... well, you can only start to imagine the chaos, or potential issues....

as I said .. Pandora's BOX....

and probably explains why so few attempt to do FSX Shared Cockpit on Vatsim.

FANTASTIC idea, if it did not have these issues .... {sigh}
---------------
While there may be some ways to get around these issues, including the Double targets that the Controllers see ( but seem able to deal with), getting SB4, Vatsim Server, Aces/MS to get together to address this issue, and program in a solution, will probably never happen.

Note: You can see all this happen with Traffic Tools, and you can DELETE thses unwanted AI airacft with Traffic Tools "Manually" -- but what a PITA !!!

-------
Now I feel better for sharing, and am open to POSITVE suggestions to effect a solution