By Alessandro Buscaglione 1155449
#531109 For a while now we have been working on a document to help pilots with the most common procedures used in Rome's airport.

Image


LIRF Pilot Briefing July 2019

Here you find the link for the pilot briefing for Rome Fiumicino airport.
This document has most of the information that is needed to fly correctly and safely to and from Rome's international airport. However it is not sufficient You will also need to have the charts on board.

The link will be kept up-to-date. Any updates will be announced on this thread, so feel free to subscribe to it.

LIRF Charts:
GENERAL INFO
AERODROME
SID
STAR
APPROACH


LIRA Charts:
GENERAL INFO
AERODROME
SID
STAR
APPROACH


ROME Scenery:
LIRF Aerosoft
LIRF Freeware
LIRA Aerosoft
LIRA Freeware
Last edited by Alessandro Buscaglione 1155449 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Martin Loxbo 811805
#531142 Nice briefing!

Having flown in there quite a few times in real life (I just checked my logbook and it seems I've visited 64 times :D), I just have a couple of minor points to note:

  • 122.125 is actually Ground, not Apron. Last time I was there a Eurowings kept calling them "Apron" and the controller got really annoyed. "Are you calling Fiume GROUND?!" / "I am ATC, Fiume GROUND!" :lol:
  • 800 stands are just remote stands that can be used for any destination. It seems they put us there if we are late (normal stand occupied) or we are changing aircraft and leaving the plane for some hours before it's flying again. If we park there, normally they instruct us to use RWY 16R/34L.
  • ILS Z 16R is mentioned in your brief but the standard approach is ILS Y if using 16R. Note that the Y approach has a low level-off altitude of 2000 ft initially on the missed approach, just like 16L.
  • When switching to TWR for departure, they always instruct us to "monitor" the TWR frequency. Might be interesting to note as I suspect many VATSIM pilots are not used to this procedure!
  • I'm not sure if you want to simulate it online, but Fiume has a rather special procedure of calling for clearance: The first call you make once ready for pushback is to "Fiume Ramp" 121.725. You tell them "ready to move" and they tell you "TSAT 1234 monitor 121.8". TSAT is the Target Startup Approal Time and DEL will call you at this time to give startup approval and IFR clearance. Once you have the clearance they instruct you to contact GND for pushback as normal.
By Andreas Fuchs 810809
#531146 CARGO AREAS

LIRF: in the southwest of the airport, taxiway YANKEE will take you to stands B42 to B47. There may be another area, our Italian friends will surely amend my information.

LIRA: in south of the aerodrome, Apron 500.
By Alessandro Buscaglione 1155449
#531161 Thanks for the feedback Martin,
The things you have pointed out are very true and it makes me happy to know that there are people out there that know these things! Most of these have been changed for "operational reasons", but me explain point by point,

Martin Loxbo 811805 wrote:
  • 122.125 is actually Ground, not Apron. Last time I was there a Eurowings kept calling them "Apron" and the controller got really annoyed. "Are you calling Fiume GROUND?!" / "I am ATC, Fiume GROUND!" :lol:

We have called it Apron to differentiate it with the ground frequency, to help new pilots not get confused with the other frequency.
Martin Loxbo 811805 wrote:
  • 800 stands are just remote stands that can be used for any destination. It seems they put us there if we are late (normal stand occupied) or we are changing aircraft and leaving the plane for some hours before it's flying again. If we park there, normally they instruct us to use RWY 16R/34L.

  • Not sure when you flew, but before the new terminal opened up (600 parkings) the "smaller" 800 parkings were often (if not always) used by aircraft from the UK who needed passport control and so they also landed on 16R. Now with the new terminal they use the 600 parkings and also land on 16L. Although we have kept it like this as there are currently no sceneries with the new terminal building. But expect this to change in some next version ;)
    Martin Loxbo 811805 wrote:
  • ILS Z 16R is mentioned in your brief but the standard approach is ILS Y if using 16R. Note that the Y approach has a low level-off altitude of 2000 ft initially on the missed approach, just like 16L.

  • We'll probably change this then ;)
    Martin Loxbo 811805 wrote:
  • When switching to TWR for departure, they always instruct us to "monitor" the TWR frequency. Might be interesting to note as I suspect many VATSIM pilots are not used to this procedure!

  • As you said - VATSIM pilots are not used to this, we had the procedure in the past but had to give it up as about 80% of pilots would still contact tower and tell them their life story, and of course this irritated the tower controller leading to obvious consequences.
    Martin Loxbo 811805 wrote:
  • I'm not sure if you want to simulate it online, but Fiume has a rather special procedure of calling for clearance: The first call you make once ready for pushback is to "Fiume Ramp" 121.725. You tell them "ready to move" and they tell you "TSAT 1234 monitor 121.8". TSAT is the Target Startup Approal Time and DEL will call you at this time to give startup approval and IFR clearance. Once you have the clearance they instruct you to contact GND for pushback as normal.

  • This would be awesome to implement, but again, we have pilots who don't even know what a clearence is. And pilots who fly without any timetable, or there is no traffic and startup is given on the spot, further instructions would confuse the pilots.


    Mind you, if things change and people fly having read the briefing, we might start to implement further realistic procedures bit by bit.
    By Alessandro Buscaglione 1155449
    #531162
    nebojsa milosavljevic 817731 wrote:Great briefing.Where is cargo located at the two airports.

    nebojsa


    Andreas Fuchs 810809 wrote:CARGO AREAS

    LIRF: in the southwest of the airport, taxiway YANKEE will take you to stands B42 to B47. There may be another area, our Italian friends will surely amend my information.

    LIRA: in south of the aerodrome, Apron 500.


    mainly correct, at LIRF there are a few more cargo stands at "cargo city" parking stands 100, close to threshold for runway 25, taxiway U

    We chose not to include this information as there are barely any cargo flights on vatsim to LIRF and we wanted to keep the info slim and essential.
    By Alessandro Buscaglione 1155449
    #533932 UPDATED TO VERSION 1.53 - July 2019

    Changes:
      Added Reduced Runway Separation Minima
      Added high speed exits information
    By Alessandro Buscaglione 1155449
    #534350 UPDATED TO VERSION 1.54 - July 2019

    Changes:

      SIDs renumbered and revised as per AIRAC 1907