General Discussion Concerning Military Type Flying
By Will Friedman 971259
#515038 The Virtual United States Air Force will be hosting our annual Red Flag Alaska training exercise 4 August to 27 August 2017.
The location is Eielson, and Elmendorf AFB's. All approved Vatsim Special Operations Administration approved agencies are invited and welcome.

William Friedman, vLtGen, vUSAF A1003I
Director of Air and Space Operations (AF/A3)
The Pentagon, Washington DC.
By Randy Tyndall 1087023
#515879 This is intriguing to me because once upon a time I was stationed in Alaska at Elmendorf AFB and participated in many Brim Frost exercises in the 1980s.

I used to be a member of the vUSAF (I "retired" because they stopped supporting FS2004 and i just wanted to fly the CS C-130 for FS2004). I've since moved to FSX as well with the virtavia C-17, but haven't pursued trying to rejoin.

I am curious, though, given the restriction on VATSIM for performing "military actions" unless a member of a sanctioned VSOA, has anyone within the VSOAs or VATSIM management ever considered a "Free Fishing Day...No License Required" type event where those curious, but not a member, could participate and dig their C-130, C17, C-5, KC-10, KC-135, A-10 Warthog, F-15, F-16, F-22, F-35, F-Whatever out of the hangar, dust her off and have a spin for a day?

Obviously those wishing to participate in such an event would have to abide by established Rules of Engagement or risk "ejection"...ha, I made a pun. Perhaps even exhibit skill levels prior to the event. Who knows, it could even generate interest in joining/rejoining a VSOA and bolster the rolls?

vUSAF, Major, Retired
By Sean Harrison 870618
#515881 Hey Randy,

I generally fly military aircraft on VATSIM. I am not a current member of a VSOA, but done over 3000hrs within various military VSOAs and know the rules and requirements. I've never been one for air combat, so what I did in groups I still tend to simulate.

Last couple of exercises I turn up and fly in and out. Of course if there is a notam closing Airspace I comply.

Any way, good luck, hope to see you around in a military aircraft.