General Discussion Concerning Military Type Flying
By Will Friedman 971259
#515038 The Virtual United States Air Force will be hosting our annual Red Flag Alaska training exercise 4 August to 27 August 2017.
The location is Eielson, and Elmendorf AFB's. All approved Vatsim Special Operations Administration approved agencies are invited and welcome.

http://www.vusaf.org

Sincerely,

William Friedman, vLtGen, vUSAF A1003I
Director of Air and Space Operations (AF/A3)
The Pentagon, Washington DC.
VATSIM#971259
By Randy Tyndall 1087023
#515879 This is intriguing to me because once upon a time I was stationed in Alaska at Elmendorf AFB and participated in many Brim Frost exercises in the 1980s.

I used to be a member of the vUSAF (I "retired" because they stopped supporting FS2004 and i just wanted to fly the CS C-130 for FS2004). I've since moved to FSX as well with the virtavia C-17, but haven't pursued trying to rejoin.

I am curious, though, given the restriction on VATSIM for performing "military actions" unless a member of a sanctioned VSOA, has anyone within the VSOAs or VATSIM management ever considered a "Free Fishing Day...No License Required" type event where those curious, but not a member, could participate and dig their C-130, C17, C-5, KC-10, KC-135, A-10 Warthog, F-15, F-16, F-22, F-35, F-Whatever out of the hangar, dust her off and have a spin for a day?

Obviously those wishing to participate in such an event would have to abide by established Rules of Engagement or risk "ejection"...ha, I made a pun. Perhaps even exhibit skill levels prior to the event. Who knows, it could even generate interest in joining/rejoining a VSOA and bolster the rolls?

Randy
vUSAF, Major, Retired
By Sean Harrison 870618
#515881 Hey Randy,

I generally fly military aircraft on VATSIM. I am not a current member of a VSOA, but done over 3000hrs within various military VSOAs and know the rules and requirements. I've never been one for air combat, so what I did in groups I still tend to simulate.

Last couple of exercises I turn up and fly in and out. Of course if there is a notam closing Airspace I comply.

Any way, good luck, hope to see you around in a military aircraft.