By Ittai Arnon 814280
#458343 Hi,

I'll appreciate if someone can make order with DB export/import with FSInn using network
FSX PC & FSInn PC:
When setting AI VATSIM a/c to match where should it be done?
Also export and import ?

At what Pc it should be done?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
By Ernesto Alvarez 818262
#458354 setting the AI, any time you install new models, start your simulator. park on the ramp, then start FSINN so it can read the new models.

after its done, in FSINN go to Advanced > PLA > Config

there you should see all the models with either missing entries or question marks. double click on each model entry to edit the entries. fill in all the information
By Ittai Arnon 814280
Ernesto Alvarez 818262 wrote:setting the AI, any time you install new models, start your simulator. park on the ramp, then start FSINN so it can read the new models.

after its done, in FSINN go to Advanced > PLA > Config

there you should see all the models with either missing entries or question marks. double click on each model entry to edit the entries. fill in all the information

Ok Thx.

But where is should be done ? I use network for FSinn, should it be done in the network PC where FSinn runs ?
Also the export should be done there ?
By Ernesto Alvarez 818262
#458366 if you have a networked setup, it has to be done on both. i would recommend doing it on the flightsim PC first, then export your aircraft registry to the second pc, that way you dont have to repeat the work again on the second pc
By Richard Asberg 887435
#461221 For the last year or so I've been using IVAO_MTL models and overall the match after running the suggested steps has been quite good most of the times. However still every now and then there are strange matches so I thought I would now try and fix this and make sure I never see any wrong matches again.

My plan doing this has so far been to first wipe out my FSInn database completely and remove all AI models from FSX and then only add one model at a time and make sure it's recognized by FSInn. I' also took this opportunity to convert all models to FSX/DX10 compatibility to make sure they are displayed correctly at night.

At first this method seemed to work really good but now for some reason some of the AI models I've put back into FSX are no longer listed in FSInn looking at the ICAO Custom tab where I'm normally able to manually select what AI model should be used for a specific a/c model and airline ICAO. For instance I've installed an AI model for a B737-200 in Lufthansa colors in FSX but when I go to the custom tab in FSInn and first select the a/c type (B732) and then click on Lufthansa's ICAO code (DLH) the model is not found in the list although it is installed in FSX.

Not sure what I'm missing here...? Not sure but I have this feeling I somehow need to force FSInn to rescan what a/c are installed in FSX but at the same time I want to be sure exactly how to do this without risking to loose everything I already matched up manually so far.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction!
By Stephen Odgaard 811390
#461653 Ernesto, the manual work, does that not only have to be done on the remote PC where FSInn is running. For me it seems to do the job.

/Stephen
By Richard Asberg 887435
#462015 Been a couple of days since my last post and now all is good and all aircraft models and repaints are found. Have wiped out the database though a couple of times since. The problem might have been that I didn't look careful enough on the Config tab making sure the newly added aircraft models and repaints were properly configured but were still at the bottom of the list with ZZZZ codes.

Anyway I found one interesting thing messing around with FSInn and I thought I would share it here. For a long time I've been trying to force FSInn to choose a particular repaint for a specific aircraft model if the correct livery can't be found/isn't installed. I'm still not 100% sure I really fixed it but after some testing it at least looks good so far.

What I did was to go to the FSInn-Advanced-PLA-ICAO Custom tab and in the upper part I double-click on the aircraft model I want to set the default repaint for when the correct repaint isn't installed and I then pick the one I want. For instance I want FSInn to always use the Boeing House Livery for the B738 whenever I meet someone online in a B738 in a repaint I don't have installed. To me it looks so much better to have such an aircraft in the Boeing House Livery rather than have FSInn picking a completely wrong repaint like an Austrian repaint for a KLM aircraft for example.

When you pick a default repaint for a specific aircraft on the ICAO Custom tab an entry for this will be set by FSInn in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\FSFDT\FSCopilot\1.0\AcftDB\FS2006\ICAOPref\B738 (or whatever aircraft model you're modifying) where the default string value will hold the title of that specific aircraft and repaint found in the aircraft.cfg file. In my case looking at the B738 for example and the Boeing House Livery the value will be B738BOEWL which specifies the aircraft type (B738), the livery (BOE) and then 'WL' (for the winglets version of the B738).

People have told me in the past and I also read that you shouldn't go into the ICAO Custom tab and configure things yourself since modifications you do like that will be seen as user configurations and they will then override the automatic matching. Well...fact is that is exactly what I want...I do want to override FSInn's own idea of matching since I don't like to see completely wrong repaints whenever the correct repaint can't be found but rather have a default repaint like the Boeing House Livery for any missing repaints. What I also would like is that any changes I do here will stick and here comes the interesting part/bug...again I've been told and read that user changes should stick and should not be deleted if/when you press the 'Reset All Auto Added' button found on the ICAO Custom tab but that is not true...tried it myself and when I do all the manual configuration changes I did were lost...not that amusing...

What I found is to fix this a new 32-bit DWORD with the name 'User' must be created and it must have the value of '1'. Sometimes I've seen FSInn creating this 32-bit DWORD itself but the value is always '0' and then the value doesn't appear to do any good. However when the value is set to '1' any changes you did will stick just like they should no matter how many times you press the 'Reset All Auto Added' button.

Here are 2 screenshots where you can see this, the first one showing what the upper part of my ICAO Custom tab looks like after I manually have chosen the default repaint for my aircraft models and the seconds one what the entry for in this example the B738 should look like including the 32-bit DWORD called User with the value set to '1'.

The only thing left for me to figure out now (if it's even possible in FSInn...) is how to force FSInn to always use a specific aircraft and repaint for any ZZZZ aircraft you meet online.

Hopefully this info will help someone in the same situation I've been in trying to understand how FSInn works and until the new Vatsim clients are released.

By Richard Asberg 887435
#462026 I'm sorry to say you can forget what I just said above...FSInn just picked a B772 in Americal Airlines repaint to display a B772 in KLM repaint when it couldn't find a B772 KLM repaint and this although I've specified the default repaint for the B772 should be the Boeing House Livery.

Oh boy am I tired of FSInn...

...and edited to add that I just re-read the FSInn documentation and on page 61 it clearly says this about the ICAO Custom tab...

"This window allows you to bypass the FSInn model resolution process to allow you to
set the model and aircraft livery you prefer to see. You can modify them manually
(selected in your aircraft database)."

...so to me it's really a mystery why this doesn't work but guess the simple answer is FSInn is a buggy software in beta...
By Richard Asberg 887435
#462454 I solved the mystery how FSInn picks default repaints for a specific a/c model if it can't find the correct airline/repaint and actaully it wasn't that much of a mystery when all comes around. However what is said in the documentation is very confusing and not true as previously stated above.

How it really works is that FSInn will simply pick the repaint listed first in the aircraft.cfg file so if I for instance want FSInn to pick the Boeing house repaint for any B738 where it can't find the correct airline/repaint all I need to do is to make sure the Boeing house repaint is the first repaint listed in the aircraft.cfg file for the B738.

To me this is truly great news because this means I can finally control the model matching the way I want and let it be my own choice what repaint is picked by FSInn when an exact match is not found.

Hurray :D :D :D
By Richard Asberg 887435
#462605 To add to my previous post(s) and to even further control exact what models are picked by FSInn I edited the ICAO.cfg file found under ...\FSFDT\FSCopilot\AcftDB to my own liking. For instance I don't want FSInn to ever replace an A318 with an A346 no matter what repaints I have installed since this is a totally different aircraft!

So...using the method I described in my last post how you can have FSInn pick the repaint of your own choice as the default repaint by assuring that repaint is listed first in the aircraft.cfg file and in combination with modifying the ICAO.cfg file described above what aircraft models can be used as a replacement I dare to say you can control the model matching really good in FSInn!

Haven't been that much response so maybe I'm the last poor man still trying to mess around with model matching in FSInn :lol: but hopefully it will be of help one day to someone in the same situation trying to figure out how the model matching in FSInn really works.
By Steve Kirks 1252923
Richard Asberg 887435 wrote:Haven't been that much response so maybe I'm the last poor man still trying to mess around with model matching in FSInn :lol: but hopefully it will be of help one day to someone in the same situation trying to figure out how the model matching in FSInn really works.

I've read each of your last three posts so keep writing. I might have time to try this later today. You solved the problem that always bugged me. I uses to get the same AA model for 737s that showed up and now I know why!
By Richard Asberg 887435
#462617 Great to hear you've found my posts useful and yes, very annoying to say the least when FSInn stubbornly always picks a repaint as the default one for a specific aircraft model and you can't understand why but now we both know and can do something about it :D

I'm not sure but I think many users don't care that much about the exact aircraft models and repaints used to depict the online traffic but for those of us who want to have a representation of the online traffic that is "as real as it gets..." to use a washed-out expression it does feel great to finally be in control of FSInn rather than the other way around...
By GEORGE STERGIOULAS 863885
#464817 So after all this glorified sticky tutorial is misleading and most of it wrong and outdated. Please un-sticky it or at least make a note that most of it is wrong. Stop messing up people's setups. I followed it and then realised that I could not set my own plane since I did the thing with the ignore files in all my payware aircraft. That is so annoying to read wrong information in the official VATSIM forum...
By Ezio Cingolani 953405
#464869 Richard,
your conclusions are very interesting indeed as I would really love to see each aircraft depicted with the right livery or with the manufacturer's standard livery if no match is found.
However, before putting my hands into the various FSFDT files (everything is working beautifully now and you very well how fragile is this "magic balance"... :lol: ) I would like to know the following:

"....to even further control exact what models are picked by FSInn I edited the ICAO.cfg file found under ...\FSFDT\FSCopilot\AcftDB to my own liking. For instance I don't want FSInn to ever replace an A318 with an A346 no matter what repaints I have installed since this is a totally different aircraft..."

So what happens then if someone is using an A318 and FSInn doesn't find in the ICAO.cfg file a replacement model ? Is it going to use the default Jet aircraft ? What kind of aircraft will be visible to the other online people ?

"...so if I for instance want FSInn to pick the Boeing house repaint for any B738 where it can't find the correct airline/repaint all I need to do is to make sure the Boeing house repaint is the first repaint listed in the aircraft.cfg file for the B738...."

This may be a silly question, but to make sure the Boeing house repaint is the first repaint listed in the aircraft.cfg file for the B738 do I only have to move the section relevant to the Boeing House repaint on top of all the repaints, or, since they are all numbered in a progressive way, do I also have to renumber all the sections ?

Finally, I guess that once these operations are done, in case we use a networked configuration, we must run once FSUinn in the master pc and then copy the new registry settings on the slave system. Can you confirm this ?

Thanks

Regards
By Richard Asberg 887435
Ezio Cingolani 953405 wrote:Richard,
your conclusions are very interesting indeed as I would really love to see each aircraft depicted with the right livery or with the manufacturer's standard livery if no match is found.
However, before putting my hands into the various FSFDT files (everything is working beautifully now and you very well how fragile is this "magic balance"... :lol: ) I would like to know the following:

"....to even further control exact what models are picked by FSInn I edited the ICAO.cfg file found under ...\FSFDT\FSCopilot\AcftDB to my own liking. For instance I don't want FSInn to ever replace an A318 with an A346 no matter what repaints I have installed since this is a totally different aircraft..."

So what happens then if someone is using an A318 and FSInn doesn't find in the ICAO.cfg file a replacement model ? Is it going to use the default Jet aircraft ? What kind of aircraft will be visible to the other online people ?

"...so if I for instance want FSInn to pick the Boeing house repaint for any B738 where it can't find the correct airline/repaint all I need to do is to make sure the Boeing house repaint is the first repaint listed in the aircraft.cfg file for the B738...."

This may be a silly question, but to make sure the Boeing house repaint is the first repaint listed in the aircraft.cfg file for the B738 do I only have to move the section relevant to the Boeing House repaint on top of all the repaints, or, since they are all numbered in a progressive way, do I also have to renumber all the sections ?

Finally, I guess that once these operations are done, in case we use a networked configuration, we must run once FSUinn in the master pc and then copy the new registry settings on the slave system. Can you confirm this ?

Thanks

Regards

Hi there Ezio,

Yep...I do know how sensitive the FSInn model matching setup can be and I highly suggest (and especially if you already have a setup that is working pretty well) that you start by making a backup of both the registry, the icao.cfg file and maybe also the files and folders used for AI traffic models.

What will happen if someone is flying an A318 and FSInn can't find the correct livery and you don't have any other models listed as alternative models in ICAO.cfg is that FSInn will pick the first livery in the aircraft.cfg file for the A318.

What I've done is I removed pretty much all alternatives from ICAO.cfg for the most well-known models such as the majority of both the Airbus and Boeing models. Reason for this is I wanted to make sure the correct aircraft model is used so if I see a Boeing 737-800 ahead of me I know that indeed is the model in use by the pilot in that aircraft. However in the end all this comes down to your personal taste how you want the model matching to behave and how flexible you want to be with what models and liveries are used.

For example it's very common someone is flying an aircraft model in a specific livery where in real life that airline indeed fly that aircraft type but not exact the same model. For instance someone might say they are in a B738 in British Airways colours but BAW doesn't operate any 737NGs. In this case you can decide if you want to accept FSInn will display maybe a 737-400 instead in BAW colours (wrong a/c type but correct livery) or the other way around...a 737-800 since that is the aircraft indicated to be used by the other pilot but then in the Boeing House Livery since there are no BAW 737-800s. So to sum it up, you need to decide if you want to prioritize the aircraft model or the livery.

Not sure if only the location in aircraft.cfg is of importance or also the name/number (fltsim.x) but I have made sure the default repaint is both at the first location and also named fltsim.0. However you don't have to renumber all liveries to accomplish this since the only livery you're really interested in is the one you want to be used as the default one for that aircraft model. So let's say you have 10 repaints for the B738 aircraft model. Then you will have fltsim.0-fltsim.9 in the aircraft.cfg file for that aircraft. Then let's assume you want to also add the Boeing House Livery for the B738 which will then be the 11'th livery installed. Then just paste it at the top of the list in aircraft.cfg and name it fltsim.0 and rename the original fltsim.0 to fltsim.10 and move it to the bottom of the list.

Regarding FSInn in a network config what I did was to initially run FSInn on my main FSX PC and I also ran the AC_ICAO_53 tool to have most of my AI models correctly entered into the registry. Then I exported the FSFDT registry entries over to my networked PC and from that moment on I do all my changes directly on the networked extra PC.

Sorry for the maybe somewhat confusing and long answer. A little bit hard to explain all this in a post like this but feel free to ask again if I didn't cover some of your questions.

Edited to add the link below which is a very good one to look up what aircraft types are operated by what airlines in real life. I've been using this site a lot to make sure I only see real combinations in FSX.

http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/index.php