By Josiah Pfeiffer 1048661
#317652 If none of that works for some of you i usally have to do a very drawn out process to connect to Sweatbox.
1. Paste sweatbox.vatsim.net SWEATBOX in the "Servers" file.
2. save
3. Disable internet Connection
4. Open VRC load the correct profile you want to work with.
5. Enable internet Connection.
6. Then connect with VRC.
Major Paine :roll:
By Ross Carlson 887155
Josiah Pfeiffer 1048661 wrote:If none of that works for some of you i usally have to do a very drawn out process to connect to Sweatbox.
1. Paste sweatbox.vatsim.net SWEATBOX in the "Servers" file.
2. save
3. Disable internet Connection
4. Open VRC load the correct profile you want to work with.
5. Enable internet Connection.
6. Then connect with VRC.
Major Paine :roll:

Why are you editing the servers file? If you're using VRC, as per the instructions found in this thread, you should be creating/editing the myservers text file. More instructions here:

http://www.metacraft.com/VRC/docs/doc.p ... ced_topics
By Ross Carlson 887155
#317807 Then there is another problem to solve. Perhaps you don't have the file name right. (For example, if you call it "myservers.txt", and you have file extensions disabled, then the file actually gets called myservers.txt.txt, and VRC won't find or use it.)

In any case, editing the servers.txt file is not the solution. At best it's an annoying workaround. :)
By Josiah Pfeiffer 1048661
Ross Carlson 887155 wrote:Then there is another problem to solve. Perhaps you don't have the file name right. (For example, if you call it "myservers.txt", and you have file extensions disabled, then the file actually gets called myservers.txt.txt, and VRC won't find or use it.)

In any case, editing the servers.txt file is not the solution. At best it's an annoying workaround. :)

Ross, i hear you, and could not agree more. I think i have that exact problem as you have described. any idea on how to disable file extensions? I have searched a bit with no luck.
By Jerry Swalling 1095648
#451595 Trying to get SWEATBOX to show up on the servers list. Never had so much trouble. Windows7, I took the 1.2.4 new VRC download dated July 8, 2013. The download only shows 3 lines and there used to be about 12 lines including the servers.txt line. Now I don't see the servers at all to add the sweatbox line to it. I've tried 2 or 3 times.
-Uninstall
-VRC
-VRC_EULA
...that's it...only 3 lines???????? what has changed??????
By Matthew Jessick 1179517
#451602 > The rest of the files are now in My Documents\VRC. You need to create the myservers.txt file there.
Ross likely solved the problem! Tank you oh thank you. Vielen dank! Grazie mille! Maraming salamat!

But I'll just push submit on my rant for old times sake :)

myservers.txt

This is the single most frustrating bane of my existence as an instructor. And I say that as someone who as a programmer upgraded my small company's software products to comply with Windows User Account Control guidelines 10 years ago, and provided phone customer support for the same products. A good fraction, at least 1 in 4, of my students require FORTY MINUTES or more to complete this operation. The worst is the period after they have the file in place, with the right line in it, and have restarted VRC, yet the program isn't showing the sweatbox server in the list. Stopping and starting it three times might work. Eye of newt and toe of frog is on my list to try. Prayer and fasting might be the best tactic. Students have come back the next day and it suddenly works. I think once the student had two installations and we were fighting with the one that wasn't attached to his shortcut.

Students who don't have administrator priviledge and don't have file extensions turned on for known file types, and don't know their account name so we can wander around in the users hierarchy searching for the shadow folder and ... You can't pay me enough to do this - yet I'm doing it "for fun" :)

[Mod-You kiss your mother with that mouth?] [Mod-You kiss your mother with that mouth?] [Mod-You kiss your mother with that mouth?]. Sorry - I feel better now.
By Ross Carlson 887155
#451604 And that's why my more modern clients (vSTARS, vDSR) automatically add the sweatbox server to the server list. :) VRC hails from the days when the sweatbox was only used by a few people, mostly within ZBW.

Next time I do a VRC update, I'll look into having it auto-add the sweatbox server.