By Magnus Meese 997444
#514274 Even veterans make the mistake of thinking VatSpy or similar software is anything more than a hint of what's going on. Boundaries change, sectors are formed and disbanded, shortcuts are made to accommodate the world of simulation. There're no official monitoring software, in other words there are none that can be trusted. Check your controllers Controller Info. If it's not informative enough, shoot a PM and ask.

The most interesting thing I've encountered on this front is people actually tuning my ATIS for an airport (while I'm manning CTR), then departing on unicom because their VatSpy had the wrong lines drawn in. Oh my.
By Richard Royal 1389755
#514276 What happened tonight really had me scratching my head. Decided to file a plan between 2 airports that had no controllers just so I could have an easy time of it & to accumulate some Vatsim hours.

Everything went well from startup to taxiing, takeoff & departure. I was feeling quite pleased with myself. Then up comes the following on vPilot :-

I couldn't figure why I was being disconnected as I was texting on Unicom (yes I know the FL700 was wrong but I'm a rotten typist). After I closed everything down I then noticed my VNP server had disconnected.

Can I assume that was the cause of the disconnection & not a blunder on my part?
By Robert Shearman Jr 1155655
Emma Atanasova 1394780 wrote:I also had a pretty bad landing at -604 fpm. :oops:

Dace Nicmane 1313735 wrote:It could be worse than this. :mrgreen:

Additionally, controllers can't tell what your landing rate at impact was, since their scopes update only once every few seconds. They'll pick up any substantial deviations from route or approach, but if a hard hit was your worst infraction, call it a success, & rest assured that you (& your VA admins, if it's an auto-reporting ACARS) are the only ones who know differently. :-)
Last edited by Robert Shearman Jr 1155655 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Robert Shearman Jr 1155655
#515052 (accidental double-post removed)
By Thimo Koolen 1345135
#515068 If I'm correct, Tower view has the movements mostly interpolated; lots of math. If I watch a plane take off in the tower, it suddenly goes up. The math just guesses where the plane would be in the next frame based on what it did in the updates before. So no, we wouldn't be able to see.
By Dace Nicmane 1313735
Thimo Koolen 1345135 wrote:If I'm correct, Tower view has the movements mostly interpolated; lots of math. If I watch a plane take off in the tower, it suddenly goes up. The math just guesses where the plane would be in the next frame based on what it did in the updates before. So no, we wouldn't be able to see.

It's the same as how we see other planes in a simulator, isn't it? (btw, I was still thinking about those "worse" scenarios when I wrote about tower view :mrgreen:)
By Brian Shearer 1031764
#515719 Well, i had a couple of flights the weekend that were a nightmare.
first flight, i filed a flight plan but ATC couldn't see it - was able to retrieve it but as i couldn't file a new one whilst in game i was kinda stuck...

Flew again tonight, filed flight plan from glasgow to edinburgh and despite initially heading to the wrong end of the taxiway i managed to find my way to the right hold point and took off. One thing that confused me, i was flying VFR in a Baron 58 and the controller asked me to report when in edinburgh zone - likely i hadn't prepped as i didn't know where that started.

Anyways, gets to edinburgh and asked to join RIGHT downwind for runway 24 which i got wrong and joined left... got completely flustered and ended up on final for wrong runway. ATC was kind enough to clear to land but i felt sooo stupid.

At the moment, I'm text only and i don't think that helps as very hard to type while flying. I get how to depart but not sure when to contact the target airport town etc etc

more practice I guess but what would be really good is nominated departure and arrival airport for newbies in non jetliners so that there can be some practice without the risk of screwing up completely and getting a "yellow" card?