By Nicholas Cavacini 1084329
#518887 From what I heard, this is still in the very early planning stages.
By Matthew Cianfarani 993838
#518903 Klaus,

From the announcement (https://www.vatsim.net/news/new-voice-c ... ice-unicom)

At Connexion 2017, Kieran Hardern, who sits on the VATSIM Board of Governors, made an announcement that VATSIM has a team actively working on the implementation of a new voice codec. A number of tests of specific codecs have already been completed and VATSIM is committed to make this happen. As with any voluntary project, we won't be putting an estimated time of release out on this but hope this announcement is of interest to our members who have been eagerly waiting for this upgrade.
By Camden Bruno 1253785
Klaus Schmitzer 1285138 wrote:this will bring me back to vatsim, so I cant hold back :P

I can't hold back either: You're not participating on the network just because of the codec..?
By Klaus Schmitzer 1285138
#518914 I never flew much online because of too much garbeled transmissions. I know, you alwyas can say "please repeat" and so on... but this breaks all learning (at least for me, not talking for others here) most voice on Live ATC is way better to understand. So I never gathered much experience.
By Robert Cardone 1323915
Klaus Schmitzer 1285138 wrote:I never flew much online because of too much garbeled transmissions. I know, you alwyas can say "please repeat" and so on... but this breaks all learning (at least for me, not talking for others here) most voice on Live ATC is way better to understand. So I never gathered much experience.

As a retired broadcast engineer, I think the garbled audio is more to do with who is speaking. Sometimes the audio sounds like the person is in another room, probably because they are not close to the mic, or the mic is a piece of junk, or they never bothered to calibrate their audio levels. Add to that, some people just mumble instead of speaking clearly. Tonight I flew in a session, and most pilots had very clear and understandable audio. A few, you couldn't make out what they were saying at all. That is not a codec problem.
Robert Cardone 1323915 wrote:
Klaus Schmitzer 1285138 wrote:I never flew much online because of too much garbeled transmissions. I know, you alwyas can say "please repeat" and so on... but this breaks all learning (at least for me, not talking for others here) most voice on Live ATC is way better to understand. So I never gathered much experience.

As a retired broadcast engineer, I think the garbled audio is more to do with who is speaking. Sometimes the audio sounds like the person is in another room, probably because they are not close to the mic, or the mic is a piece of junk, or they never bothered to calibrate their audio levels. Add to that, some people just mumble instead of speaking clearly. Tonight I flew in a session, and most pilots had very clear and understandable audio. A few, you couldn't make out what they were saying at all. That is not a codec problem.

I absolute agree with you, but I think it helps a lot if the transmission itself works better - even if someone is mumbling.
By Camden Bruno 1253785
Klaus Schmitzer 1285138 wrote:Live ATC is way better to understand.
I don't know which Live ATC streams you're listening to, but do you have any real-world flying experience? If so, I'd be willing to bet that you'd appreciate the fact that our voice codec is actually extremely realistic. Apart from the delay, the codec does a nice job of mimicking the frustrations, garbles, weird noises, etc. that we constantly hear on real-world frequencies. Having a voice codec like PilotEdge, where it sounds like you're talking on Skype or TeamSpeak, takes away from the experience in my opinion.

To each their own.

Take care,
By Robert Cardone 1323915
Camden Bruno 1253785 wrote:
I don't know which Live ATC streams you're listening to, but do you have any real-world flying experience? If so, I'd be willing to bet that you'd appreciate the fact that our voice codec is actually extremely realistic. Apart from the delay, the codec does a nice job of mimicking the frustrations, garbles, weird noises, etc. that we constantly hear on real-world frequencies. Having a voice codec like PilotEdge, where it sounds like you're talking on Skype or TeamSpeak, takes away from the experience in my opinion.

To each their own.

Take care,

Totally agree. I tried Pilotedge and I felt like I was talking to someone in a TV studio.
Camden Bruno 1253785 wrote:

To each their own.

Take care,

Yes, to each their own... I hope there is something for both opinions in the future! For those who want to hear more clear and for those who want to hear more static and so on. At last I think the more people fly online, the more fun we all have.
By Fatih Yas 969587
#519402 I heard a lot of real ATC , and there is nothing where we can match it with our codec. The real one is clearly to understand , and in vatsim many times its very bad. I fly also the region of myanmar , afganistan yes there is very bad but the rest at europe is not like in vatsim