By Gunnar Lindahl 967365
Edward Sterling 810627 wrote:Well, darn the luck, my cruise in France ends 7/22/17 and the convention is one week later. I do not suppose there is any chance that VATSIM will move the convention one week earlier; No, I didn't really think so.
So is there anyone, like a VATSIM person who runs an AIRBNB house could put up an older couple for a very small amount of Pounds for a week so we could attend. I may even be able to talk my wife to go home early and it would be only me. I would be willing to do laundry or yard work to stay, rather than fly back to London five days later.
Anyone with a heart would help me; I am so pitiful.

Ed Sterling
ZAB_FE
VATSIM_UK Northern Visitor.

Ed

See how you get on over at the UK forums - not everybody from the UK reads these ones.
By Gunnar Lindahl 967365
marcus holmes 815851 wrote:It would have made more sense to have the venue near or next to one of the main airports around London for example Heathrow seeing Vatsim is about aviation.

Marcus

This was discounted as it would have significantly increased the ticket price.
By Joaquin Blanco 860975
#506886 I will be attending the Convention and would be willing to spend some time before and after the convention times answering questions on matters such as places of interest, places to eat & drink and the best way to get around in public transport which is very extensive. Those who have not been to London before, won't regret the experience. Despite any rumours to the contrary people in Britain will go out of their way to make you welcome and ensure your stay is a pleasant one. Of course you may find the odd cockney word or expression here and there that you don't understand, but fear not, someone is likely to be around to translate it for you! :D

Personally I am looking forward to puting a face and press the flesh of a few people I have encountered online in the Vatsim network and of course attend my first Vatsim Convention in all the years since I joined Vatsim.

Regards
By Tim Barber 819096
marcus holmes 815851 wrote:It would have made more sense to have the venue near or next to one of the main airports around London for example Heathrow seeing Vatsim is about aviation.

As a first time visitor to London, I am more than happy for it to be downtown.
By Ira Robinson 1100092
Tim Barber 819096 wrote:

As a first time visitor to London, I am more than happy for it to be downtown.

I agree, although I already have a question that I have to have answered before I can even plan the trip. I checked out the hotel where the conference is scheduled to be and according to their online booking system there are no rooms available that weekend. Nor are there any at the other few locations listed on the same web site. So if I presume that this information is correct, for someone who knows nothing about London and would prefer to stay at the same location as the conference but if I can't would prefer center city-ish, how do I go about the process of finding a place to stay?

Besides the usual travel agent route of course. I know if I lay this out for one they can probably make arrangements for me but before I even consider doing that I would like to get some input from people in the know.

Of course, I am curious why we would book a conference center and not make allowances for a block of rooms, but that's a subject for a different time and place.
By Andreas Fuchs 810809
#506893 I'd suggest to start looking for rooms through the usual suspects: Trivago, Kayak, Priceline, Momondo and see what you can find.
By Mark Richards 811451
#506897 Hi, all. Yes, the convention could have been held somewhere else in the world and yes, 99GBP might seem a lot for some. But a couple of things to remember here.

As a volunteer organisation, we need people to step up and own things that happen. VATSIM is very fortunate that a team of people stepped up and offered their time to organise this convention, they just happen to be from Europe and believed that London was the most central location and one that is easy to access from most parts of the globe. They submitted a proposal to the Board of Governors which was accepted. I hope that this won't be the last convention we host and we would certainly welcome proposals from others willing to put themselves on the line and arrange a future convention on a different continent.

As for cost, there are 37 weeks to go until the convention, which means that is 2.67GBP per week to save, probably the cost of a cup of coffee per week. I'm planning to come to the convention, and I live in Melbourne, Australia, so my expenses are significantly greater. I'm not rich, I have expenses, but I have a mindset to succeed, so I am putting money aside into a separate savings account to pay for my airfare and lodgings. All up, I'm probably looking at AUD5000 but I love this organisation and this is showing my commitment to what we do.

I also accept that not everyone can, but for those able, what better opportunity to share our hobby and meet with other members from across the world.

Mark
By Mark Richards 811451
Sean Harrison 870618 wrote:Mark, if I start a diet now, any chance I could get in your luggage?

Might be slightly cold in the hold.
By Gunnar Lindahl 967365
#506903 Ira and others:

Re accommodation we will provide recommendations to suit all budgets when website is live.

A big plus on the venue is that it is easily accessible from anywhere in London so those who might prefer a cheaper place to stay further out will be able to get in easily.
By Ira Robinson 1100092
Gunnar Lindahl 967365 wrote:Ira and others:

Re accommodation we will provide recommendations to suit all budgets when website is live.

A big plus on the venue is that it is easily accessible from anywhere in London so those who might prefer a cheaper place to stay further out will be able to get in easily.

Excellent. Thank you !
By Gal Levin 1264671
#506959 I'm confident I'll make it, but I was thinking attending Live!, which is usually around this time. I want to book flight tickets as early as possible, and I was wondering if there is any information about Live! and when will it take place this year.
By Gunnar Lindahl 967365
Gal Levin 1264671 wrote:I'm confident I'll make it, but I was thinking attending Live!, which is usually around this time. I want to book flight tickets as early as possible, and I was wondering if there is any information about Live! and when will it take place this year.

Gal,

A good question - head over to the UK forums and try asking your question there as I don't have the info (yet) and they are more likely to have at least some prelim speculation!
By Norbert Pflug 899571
#508612 Hello,

any updates on this? In the announcment thread it says - tickets with next 2 weeks or so, well that was about 2 months ago... :mrgreen:

Any update on the agenda that you can share?

More info appreciated
Cheers
Norbert