By Ruth McTighe 824054
#162044 At the moment I'm going to be rigid on this. As several people commented, whatever number you pick, one person will go over by one or two, then one person goes over by five, then one by 10. Where do we draw the line? If it's ok to go over by two, then I should have set the limit at 12 in the first place. Then someone will try and post 14, and so it goes on.......

I would normally expect people posting in a forum for the first time to read the opening welcome announcement, but I take Seamus's point and will change the title.

I'm not going down the route of allowing more pictures on later pages of a thread. This isn't a photo album - if you want to post lots of photos then use flickr or something like that and post a link.

Ruth
VATGOV7
By Stephen Keskitalo 977981
#162052 I'd like to give a helpful tip to thread posters. When you post, please name your thread according to the theme of your pics instead of a generic "My Screen Shots" or "Some VATSIM pics" etc.

I'm more likely to look at a thread if I have some idea of what I'm about to see.

And this is not a rule, just a suggestion to help you get more views. ;)
By Joe Landers 992630
#162070 Just a suggestion as i have seen this implemented elsewhere and it works a treat. Impose a file size limit rather than a limit on the number of shots. That way if people wanted to post more they could just reduce the file sizes to fit.
By Norman Blackburn 870575
#162081
Joe Landers 992630 wrote:Impose a file size limit rather than a limit on the number of shots.


Joe,

Perhaps you missed the initial rules where this was also a requirement.
By Scott Smith 921136
#162082
Norman Blackburn 870575 wrote:
Joe Landers 992630 wrote:Impose a file size limit rather than a limit on the number of shots.


Joe,

Perhaps you missed the initial rules where this was also a requirement.


I think what he means is the total file size of all the files.

For example setting a 800kb limit for all images. For example if you have 5 images, if you add the file sizes of those images they must add up to a maximum of 800kb.

I may be wrong, but thats what I thought he meant.

I think that suggestion would cause too many problems anyway, I agree that we should set a limit and stick to the limit.

Scott
By Ruth McTighe 824054
#162120 The problem with setting a total file size limit is monitoring it. I really don't fancy having to look at every thread with more than a few pictures and checking each pictures file size and adding them up. I'd rather be flying or controlling!

Ruth
VATGOV7
By Kirk Christie 956763
#167679 I think this rule is being bent a little recently

Ruth McTighe 824054 wrote:4. For the same reason any one thread should contain no more than 10 pictures. We would like to see your best pictures, not a random collection. Multiple threads posted to avoid this rule will be treated as a single thread.


Some rather long winded posts showing up, of aircraft flying, I say long winded cause the 17 cruise shots are actually really boring
By Scott Johnston 890281
#167703
Kirk Christie 956763 wrote:I think this rule is being bent a little recently

Ruth McTighe 824054 wrote:4. For the same reason any one thread should contain no more than 10 pictures. We would like to see your best pictures, not a random collection. Multiple threads posted to avoid this rule will be treated as a single thread.


Some rather long winded posts showing up, of aircraft flying, I say long winded cause the 17 cruise shots are actually really boring

Well, they may be boring, but they're not bending any rules. "For the same reason any one thread should contain no more than 10 pictures".
By Norman Blackburn 870575
#170175
Ruth McTighe 824054 wrote:This forum is for members to post their screen shots for general interest. Competition entries should be posted in the Monthly Screen Shot Contest forum.

You must observe the following rules, mainly out of courtesy to your fellow members:
(they have now been tightened up, as some posters have been ignoring them)

1. Screenshots must be VATSIM related

2. Members will be responsible for hosting their own pictures. For those that don't have server space or the bandwidth, http://www.imageshack.us/ is a viable option.

3. Image size will be limited to 500kb to keep download time reasonable for dial-up. Images above the limit will be removed.

4. For the same reason any one thread should contain no more than 10 pictures. We would like to see your best pictures, not a random collection. Multiple threads posted to avoid this rule will be treated as a single thread.

5. File format should normally be jpg.

6. Video links may be posted, but videos may not be embedded in the post.

Posts not conforming to these rules will be deleted without warning, includinig those already posted at the time the rules were edited on 22nd June 07.

Ruth McTighe
VATGOV7
Vice President - Communications


Just by way of reinforcing the rules. A number of current threads were in breach of some of the above.
By Stephen Richey 985064
#170182 I think this may have been what my friend I had lunch with the other day (a fellow flight simmer) was eluding to when he said the reason he doesn't use VATSIM is the people are "anal retentive". In regards to the controlling side of things, I don't agree....but I could see where the impression could stem from the way these forums are run at times. Personally I could give a flying rat's backside.....but it might turn some people away from the service.
By Stephen Keskitalo 977981
#170282
Stephen Richey 985064 wrote:I think this may have been what my friend I had lunch with the other day (a fellow flight simmer) was eluding to when he said the reason he doesn't use VATSIM is the people are "anal retentive". In regards to the controlling side of things, I don't agree....but I could see where the impression could stem from the way these forums are run at times. Personally I could give a flying rat's backside.....but it might turn some people away from the service.
Stephen (nice name btw),

I disagree very much with you and your friend.

Personally, I find rules and laws very useful at keeping order and fairness, so long as they are enforced anyway. The longer that a rule goes unenforced, the sooner that rule becomes meaningless. Just as an example, look at America's illegal immigration problem. The laws were there, the enforcement was lacking.

In this case, I see Norman's reminder as a helpful nudge toward enforcement of existing rules, and therefore, a good thing.
By Francis Shepherd 980238
#170328 My view comes somewhere in between that of the two Stephen's on that. I will say, however, that I find the general reiteration of rules posted in the same thread entirely unnecessary.
By Norman Blackburn 870575
#170392 Francis,

Quite clearly the reitteration was needed. A number of threads had in excess of double the number of posts, with some images quite in excess of the limit asked.

You are of course entitled to your opinion.
By Scott Smith 921136
#170424 The thing that is beginning to worry me, is that this forum area is now becoming a "web design" area. With people now taking requests to edit each others photos.

I thought the purpose of this forum was to show your best pictures that YOU took.

Now I see numerous designers doing the same pictures over and over again trying to out compete one another.

Don't know if anyone agrees with me, but it seems to be back tracking a bit.

Scott

(edited, typing errors :S)
Last edited by Scott Smith 921136 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.