By Steven Cullen 841154
#384983 Hi all,

This forum was opened for members to share their screenshots with other members, showing off some VATSIM flights and interesting destinations they have visited, and the alike. Recently a small number of the membership have decided (whether intentionally or not) that they need to point out shortcomings in screenshots, as THEY see them.

This MUST stop now or replies will be disabled. By all means please make a comment, you can even make a suggestion on how to make an improvement, but please do not bash another persons efforts. You do not know their situation, what type of specs they have on their PC and a myriad of other factors that can influence the outcome. Many new members post here showing there first flight, imagine how you would feel if it was "shot down".

I hate it when I am forced to start quoting the Code of Conduct and Regulations, but members must remember that the forums are also covered by these documents.

Thank you, and I look forward to seeing many more wonderful screenshots in the future.

Steven
By Patrick Van Der Nat 1112947
#385012 Hear, Hear...

I would hate to see the replies being disabled, let's hope we can keep things friendly and carry on sharing screen shots with each other.

PS. If it does come to the point when replies need to be disabled, perhaps we can implement some kind of rating system instead, like a 1 to 5 star rating or something similar? Just an idea.
By Ross Carlson 887155
#385023
Darrol Larrok 1140797 wrote:Instead of blocking replies here, if the situation continues why not selectively block people from replying?


If we did that, someone would have to be judge, jury and executioner, deciding who can and cannot participate. That's just asking for trouble ...
By James White 1054550
#385024 Are we not allowed to give constructive criticism? Just because the person who puts the photo up thinks it strong criticism against the photo itself, many can see it as constructive criticism. One person will see it as constructive criticism, one may not.
By tom van der elst 832562
#385030 So it comes down to
"If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

If I see a screenshot I like, I comment.
If I see a screenshot I dislike, I do not comment.

And I know f.i my screenshots are not up to the standard but I don't make them
to show off my supercomputer or superplane, or my knowledge of making pictures,
or my editing skills, or whatever.
I make them to share what I saw and what impressed me enough to give me the idea
others might like to see that as well.
By Ian Oliver 974770
#385043 Regrettably, very few people can give critique these days (critique != critism)

If you do comment, then please avoid the "nice!" type of comments: what really works is the "hamburger method" which involves:

1. What do you like about the image
2. What don't you like
3. Ideas, suggestions and a recap of the good points

Never critisise the effort of making an image - as one poster pointed out you don't know what settings, circumstances etc the poster was using at the time. A hastily taken image with all settings on low in FS9 might trump one with all settings high with a top-end graphics card in FSX.

Remember any image posted here is because the poster though ," Hey! That looks cool! " (or similar)

Ian
By Andrew Erhardt 963357
#385771 My Two Cents....

I think criticism is fine, as long as it's not used to insult the user, or hurt their feelings. For Example, tips to edit screenshots to make them look better, or tweaking video card settings. It helps the user be able to deliver better content, so even more people can enjoy.
By Frode Skibrek 989663
#385797 I dont care for throwing in only two cents.... I toss in whole 100dollar bills, so here we go.

First of all... If a small minority off "forum-trolls" should be the reason for totally blocking comments,that would be a BIG shame. That would not send a good message outwards in the community wich i have come to love.
The second thing i am thinking of, and i KNOW i will get shot after for saying this, but the age-limit for VATSIM is currently 13 as far as i know. That is in my opinion WAY to low. Many 13 year olds have no internet-conduct at all, and feels free to do and fly however they like,i have seen many examples of this online lately unfortunately. How about raising the bar to 15-16 years? Then they have possibillity to train and read and assimilite themselves really good with the rules, since many 13 year olds dont even master english very good today in non-english-speaking countries.....

I myself are soon to be 30, and even i feel not allways comfortable with english as first language in certain situations on VATSIM. Therefore in Norway i usually use norwegian,mostly to avoid misunderstandings and etc when doing new procedures,training,etc.'

Putting on my bulletproof vest..... :|
By Patrik Yngver 817799
#385813
Tom Van Der Elst 832562 wrote:So it comes down to
"If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't say anything at all".

If I see a screenshot I like, I comment.
If I see a screenshot I dislike, I do not comment.


Agreed, but also, there's a big difference between bashing and giving constructive critisism, such as "try this and that angle and see what happens".
By Ira Robinson 1100092
#385842
Andrew Erhardt 963357 wrote:My Two Cents....

I think criticism is fine, as long as it's not used to insult the user, or hurt their feelings. For Example, tips to edit screenshots to make them look better, or tweaking video card settings. It helps the user be able to deliver better content, so even more people can enjoy.


You are 100% correct, however this isn't criticism, this is making a suggestion. There is a big difference between asking if, or suggesting to someone that they try a different editing tecnhique that may make the shot look better and telling someone that they should have cropped it because......

The former suggests a way you think the picture may have presented better, the latter only tells the author why you think the picture sux. It's all in the presentation and people need to learn how to communicate that. Unfortunately you cannot legislate nor control that. You can only moderate it.

Ira R..
By Ernesto Alvarez 818262
#385899 Frode, i dont think age plays a part on this, many of the folks who have been doing it are NOT teenagers, these are full grown adults, may act like teenagers, but definitely not.

theres plenty of 13 year olds that act more mature then 35 year olds :lol:

changing the age limit isnt going to do a thing
By Jody Turner 1018734
#385917
Frode Skibrek 989663 wrote:I dont care for throwing in only two cents.... I toss in whole 100dollar bills, so here we go.

First of all... If a small minority off "forum-trolls" should be the reason for totally blocking comments,that would be a BIG shame. That would not send a good message outwards in the community wich i have come to love.
The second thing i am thinking of, and i KNOW i will get shot after for saying this, but the age-limit for VATSIM is currently 13 as far as i know. That is in my opinion WAY to low. Many 13 year olds have no internet-conduct at all, and feels free to do and fly however they like,i have seen many examples of this online lately unfortunately. How about raising the bar to 15-16 years? Then they have possibillity to train and read and assimilite themselves really good with the rules, since many 13 year olds dont even master english very good today in non-english-speaking countries.....

I myself are soon to be 30, and even i feel not allways comfortable with english as first language in certain situations on VATSIM. Therefore in Norway i usually use norwegian,mostly to avoid misunderstandings and etc when doing new procedures,training,etc.'

Putting on my bulletproof vest..... :|


It doesn't matter the age limit, people can still say they are whatever age you set it to you, as they do now. There is no way to prove that they aren't.