Air Traffic Controller Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Johnathan Ellis 1250874
Jonathan Johnson 1332672 wrote:I wasn't controlling but this guy a night or 2 ago just.. I don't even know what to say:

ATC: "confirm you have runway in sight?"
Pilot: "I have the MOOOOOOOOOOOOON in sight"

Hahahaha...classic!! Thanks for sharing
By Lewis Hardcastle 1226566
#508838 During a quieter session with vERAM

Pilot: "What's the active runway at Liverpool"
ATC: "I don't cover that area, but Tower is online with an ATIS"
Pilot: "Roger, switching to ATIS"
Pilot: "Good evening ATIS"
Not heard that one before from anyone in the London chaos :D :D
By Ivan Buev 1306046
Lewis Hardcastle 1226566 wrote:During a quieter session with vERAM

Pilot: "What's the active runway at Liverpool"
ATC: "I don't cover that area, but Tower is online with an ATIS"
Pilot: "Roger, switching to ATIS"
Pilot: "Good evening ATIS"
Not heard that one before from anyone in the London chaos :D :D

We had one likes that:

[Moscow-Control] - AFLXXX, do you have ATIS info?
[AFLXXX] - Nooooo...
- AFLXXX, listen Sheremetyevo-ATIS on 125.125
- 125.125, AFLXXX
== 3 minutes later ==
[AFLXXX] - Moscow Control, it`s AFLXXX again. Sheremetyevo ATIS did`n respond to us.
By Joshua Jenkins 1372601
#508945 I couldnt resist when Flying the other night... (Knew the Controller)

XXX-Twr : ABC123 State Your Intentions
(me) ABC123 : Well Ma'am My Intentions is not to Crash this Plane on Final.

Heard on ATIS

"Advise on initial contact you have a uniform on"
By Lucas Messner 1378750
#509018 Yesterday:

I wanted to do some pattern work, so I was a C172 with NY_LSO_DEP at LaGuardia. I'm still pretty new with vfr stuff, so I wasn't quite sure whether he would give me the base turn or I should do it myself.

Me (after flying downwind for a long time): New York departure, Nxx74H, should we make our own turn or will you tell us?
Dep: I'm so sorry, make straight in, 13, I had something else come up.

A little later:
Dep: N74H, I just had to deal with an aircraft taking off without authorization, that's why I forgot about you.
Me: No problem, [cue the joke voice] thanks for keeping the airspace safe!
Dep: We try!

After being cleared to land:
Dep: N74H, just wanted to let you know, I just won the award for the longest extended downwind.

Everything else went smoothly.
By Luka Stevens 1345102
#509182 Some hours ago on EHAM:

[10:21:46] BAWxxx: a good moring ground requesting clearence to EGLL
[10:22:08] EHAM_N_GND: BAWxxx, You filed the EHAM METAR sir lol
[10:22:30] BAWxxx: HAHAH
:D
Last edited by Luka Stevens 1345102 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Don Desfosse 1035677
Lucas Messner 1378750 wrote:Dep: N74H, just wanted to let you know, I just won the award for the longest extended downwind.

Reminds me of a situation about 12 years or so ago while I was giving a checkride at Hanscom Field (KBED), which is about 14NM WNW of Boston Logan International (KBOS)....

Late afternoon, very busy, tower controller had about 5 in the pattern if I remember correctly, plus working plenty of bizjets in and out of the airport.... Based on a jet arrival on the opposite downwind, a Skyhawk was told to "extend downwind, I'll call your base." Pretty common for busy traffic times at KBED. For anyone who knows the airspace or wants to look at the chart, 29 was in use at KBED and KBOS was landing 22L and 27..... You guessed it..... The tower controller forgot about the Skyhawk and when he was about 2 miles from KBOS, nervously called the Tower saying he had a big jet about to cross in front of him and asked if he should he turn yet....!!!! I came to find out later that the pilot in the Skyhawk was a student flying solo, the controller was a student controller and both he and his instructor forgot about the Skyhawk, and at the same time the student was inquiring about the turn, KBOS Tower was on the line with KBED Tower, hoppin' mad! :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: :!: :o
By Mats Edvin Aaro 1227980
#510725 Valentines day at ENGM_TWR

UPSxxx is taxiing north on N for departure, meanwhile
GECxxx is vacating the runway, and is instructed to taxi southbound on M, which runs parallell to N.

GECxxx fails to see the difference between the two, and turns onto N - coming nose to nose with the UPS.

Me: GECxxx hold position
GEC: Holding position

Me: GECxxx I understand that it is valentines day today, but I do not think using airplanes is the best way to kiss your date. Turn left K, left E . . .

I like coming with these kinds of humerous transmissions whenever they come to mind - and I encourage other controllers to do the same. It can really light up the mood, and potenially ease up the tension for nervous pilots.
(That being said, not everyone appreciates it, so use common sense)
By Elliott Hayot 1283796
#510973 During the Ryanair event something quite funny happened. With the rather big load of planes crossing the Greenland and Icelandic airspace, the controller kind of lost track for a minute and went: "Ryanair 38AP, contact Ryanair on 119.7" - seconds later- "No that's not correct, don't contact Ryanair. That should've been Reykjavik Control". Both controller and pilot laughed about it, it was funny :)
By Matthew McEwen 1303289
#512772 [07:07:27] KQA369: ready for tax
[07:07:39] >> KQA369, but it's not even July yet!?
[07:07:47] >> KQA369, taxi via A to holding point runway 06 :)
[07:07:48] KQA610: Nice.