Air Traffic Controller Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Dace Nicmane 1313735
Ryan Savara 1369362 wrote:
Dace Nicmane 1313735 wrote:So they can control ground, but are not required to know what they're doing? :lol:

Essentially. What I interpret from that is anyone registered with Vatsim can automatically become an S1. Like S1 is similar to P0

That's a funny way to put it, because there actually are competencies required to control ground, there's just no formal test requirement, just like there are requirements for pilots, even though there's no test.

As for overload, there are such events that simply have too many pilots in one place/relative to the number of controllers and no amount of proficiency can help. There's only so many seconds in a minute and only so many transmissions you can get in. It can't be prevented since you can't stop people from flying on the network. As a pilot, I simply avoid these events/hours if I can predict it. If they're making a new controller take exams in these circumstances, that's extreme. However, if it's an on-peak exam, that's what it's for, and is not mandatory to take (as any other exam for other ratings, nowhere does it say everyone has to be a C1).