Air Traffic Controller Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Tim Simpson 1339557
#526053 I've noticed a lot lately C1 and instructor rated controllers logging on as tower and approach, with nobody above them. Am I imagining things, or did VATSIM at one point, require people to log on to their highest rated position? In other words, if you were tower rated, you logged on as tower, and not GND or CLD.

Tim
By Nestor Perez 1369273
#526054 Hi Tim, during my 2 years at VATSIM, I haven't ever seen such rule. Controllers have always been able to log on at lower positioms than their rating, but never above except for training.
By Sean Harrison 870618
#526070 We have a regional policy that says “should”. I believe that some other regions also say should, but I enjoy the chance to do TWR and APP at times.
By Sean Harrison 870618
A controller should endeavour to provide a service to the greatest number of pilots:
a) if the controller holds an S2 rating, by operating a Tower position;
b) if the controller holds an S3 rating, by operating an Approach position;
c) if the controller holds a C1 or higher rating, by operating a en route position.
By Kirk Christie 956763
Tim Simpson 1339557 wrote:I've noticed a lot lately C1 and instructor rated controllers logging on as tower and approach, with nobody above them. Am I imagining things, or did VATSIM at one point, require people to log on to their highest rated position? In other words, if you were tower rated, you logged on as tower, and not GND or CLD.

Tim

No requirements, but you also have some ARTCC's that have memebers rated as C1 but not endorsed on their only Enroute position.

I am C3 rated have visiting rights at Heathrow but I am only endorsed for Tower.
By Nick Warren 813047
#526186 I am C3 rated, but only choose to work the terminal environment and occasionally local positions. I have committment issues and trying to hold on to a long term relationship through the whole enroute phase causes me angst. :D