Air Traffic Controller Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Mats Edvin Aaro 1227980
#531863 Disclaimer *sigh*:
This is a sporadic PSA from my own experiences as a beginner, controller and supervisor on VATSIM. These are my own personal opinions, and does in no way reflect VATSIM's official stance on the issue. Writing this because I don't want to get in trouble, k thanks.
--
We have all been there, some just don't want to realize it. No matter who you are, how many hours you have or what the first three digits of your CID reads, we have all been through that palm-sweating frustration of not daring to press the PTT to ask for a clearance. Who hasn't felt the desperation when you couldn't understand an ATC instruction and didn't have the guts to admit it, only to mumble your way through it and hope he wouldn't catch up on it.
As a supervisor I come across users with different amount of experience every session, and not once has an hour passed without me having to talk to or handle a beginner. And every time, i understand the situation they're in. A lot of people are afraid when the message from _SUP comes through, but fear not - we're only here to help. I will go to great extent to help beginners, give them advice, links, and follow them up on email afterwards if I have the time. That is my duty. Of course there are situations where a "newbie" can ruin for other users, such as departing without contacting the controller at EGKK during peak hours, where I have to take action to avoid major inconvenience for other people. If you are able to put yourself in his or her spot, you will see how frustrating, scary and nervous that might be.

So from my experiences, I have some advice to other controllers on how to approach such situations.

To controllers handling beginners:
I have over 1200 hours online as ATC, and I can't remember how many times I've pulled my hair in frustration by beginners not following my instructions. Sometimes, it can feel like it will ruin the whole controlling session. And after walloping several times without response, you go to VAT-SPY and look for the observers, and see that…. WHAT, NO SUPERVISORS ONLINE?!?!?!

My, oh my, do I remember that. But after a while, I started remembering things I had forgotten (or surpressed) from my time as a beginner. Not understanding the top-down principle, not know what the heck an IFR flight means etc etc etc... Unfortunately for me, VATSIM Stats saves all of that. :/

Controllers, believe it or not. No matter what JonFezza proclaims: YOU are the face of VATSIM. Not the supervisors, not the BoG, not the people behind the scenes. YOU are the first person new pilots will talk to, and if you don't think about how you approach them - you might be the last one as well.

Some controllers I've told this to tells me "it's not my job to teach pilots how to talk to ATC". And yes you are correct, BUT...
Even though it's not your responsibility to teach them and hold their virtual hand through the virtual skies, how you act can be the difference between them staying and expanding their knowledge and their hobby through VATSIM, or being too scared to ever reconnect. And most of you do this very well - kudos to you.

A tip to everyone, use aliases. Whenever I talk to a beginner, I give them two links. The PRC, and the CoC. The holy grail of beginnerland. If you're like me and lacks creativity, copy this.

.prc Hello, I see you are new to the network. First of all - welcome to VATSIM! It may be tempting to jump right ahead and fly, but I would suggest you read through some documents first, in order to prepare yourself for what you may encounter. First of all - you should read the VATSIM tutorials at https://vatsim.net/prc. Here you can find everything you need. Second of all, you should read through the VATSIM Code of Conduct (https://vatsim.net/coc), especially sections A and B, in order to not get in trouble for something you didn't know. Let me know if you need any more questions, I am here to help you! :-)

The great myth of the wallop
If you find yourself in a position where a beginner poses a conflict, or you are unsure what to do, never be afraid to wallop a supervisor. I have heard about vACC/ARTCC's having policies about when you can and cannot wallop, which I question - but that is a different topic. A "wallop" is simply a way to send a message to online supervisors in order to notify them.Both pilots and Controllers can utilize this, and it is the same format across all clients.
In order to send a wallop, write this into your scratchpad/text Box:
.wallop [brief description of issue]

Far too often I see people simply typing things like .wallop help, which gives us no way of prioritizing the case before initiating contact. That leads to a lot of lost time. Try giving a brief description of what is happening along with the callsign of the user - so we can get started right away instead of you having to write it all once more. A good example of a wallop is something like this:
.wallop AAL123 taxiing without contact, not responding to contact me's, conflicting with traffic.

If I get a wallop like that, I can take immediate action instead of having to assess the situation because of lack of information.

TL;DR
Beginners aren't all that bad. Controllers are front figures. If you haven't got time to handle yourself - wallop.
Last edited by Mats Edvin Aaro 1227980 on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Joe Burberry 865512
#531890 Very informative and makes you realise we have all been there.

Good guidence to follow for us controllers .

I'm not so sure it should be put on the home page though because this might put off new and potential members.
By Richard Quigley 885897
#532350 I have over 4000+ hours on the scope and I too have often pulled out bunches of my ever thinning roof thatch!
This post as well as the Expectations and Requirements for Pilots page should be highlighted on the VATSIM front page.
If it puts new entrants to the hobby off then too bad.
Perhaps they are not yet ready, emotionally and/or practically, to participate in the flight simulation hobby at this level.
If new aspirants follow the advice and clues given in these two articles they will be well on the way to enjoying a realistic experience.
By Mats Edvin Aaro 1227980
Richard Quigley 885897 wrote:This post as well as the Expectations and Requirements for Pilots page should be highlighted on the VATSIM front page.

I totally agree. Surprisingly few people are even aware of the expectations and requirements set.

The other thing you say is also a big challenge on the network. The fact that we are not experienced when we start off on the network. Not everyone have the same drive and enthusiasm to learn either. This is a really interesting topic indeed, and I think it should be aired more often.