Air Traffic Controller Discussion With a Global Perspective
By David Solesvik 1341101
#539462 Hey guys,

This is a general question which I am asking from behalf of my vACC. There's been a lot of rumour that GND/DEL (including S1s) are now allowed to post ATISes without any control higher than them. I've seen GND posting ATISes and people from various division forums confirming this. However, we weren't able to find any actual valid documentation in both the CoC and the CoR and other documents, regarding ATISes. Has there been any valid documentation which was released regarding this? Thanks!

David
By Tomas Hansson 840812
#539481 The Code of Conduct states:

C7 - A controller may make one additional connection to the VATSIM Network to provide an airport voice ATIS at facilities which have an ATIS in real life. ...

The old CoC placed a restriction that it had to be a Tower controller or above (possibly delegating the ATIS to a controller below). The revised CoC removes this restriction making possible for Delivery and Ground controllers to post an ATIS. Runway assignments in such ATIS would be recommendations only since DEL/GND does not control the runways.
By Bernardo Reis 1096507
#539578 However, the CoR states:

11. VOICE AUTOMATIC TERMINAL INFORMATION SERVICE (ATIS). AS PROVIDED FOR IN PARAGRAPHS A(8)(a) and (b) OF THE CODE OF CONDUCT, A CONTROLLER IS PERMITTED TO CREATE A SECOND CONNECTION TO THE VATSIM NETWORK USING HIS OR HER CID FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF PROVIDING VOICE ATIS TO PILOTS. A CONTROLLER WISHING TO PROVIDE VOICE ATIS MUST MEET EACH OF THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
a. THE CONTROLLER MUST HAVE AN S1 RATING OR HIGHER;
b. AN ATIS MAY BE CREATED ONLY FOR FACILITIES WHICH HAVE A REAL-WORLD ATIS;
c. THERE MUST BE A CONTROLLER PROVIDING LOCAL CONTROL (TOWER) SERVICES AT THE FIELD FOR WHICH THE ATIS IS BEING CREATED. THIS CAN BE AN OVERLYING CENTER OR APPROACH CONTROLLER;(...)

If you only have a GND/DLV controller online, you have no one providing the TWR service, not fulfilling the c) paragraph.
By Mats Edvin Aaro 1227980
#539761 The CoR will be updated to reflect the changes in the CoC. :) Until then, follow the CoC - those are the updated guidelines.