Air Traffic Controller Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Matisse VanWezer 1385143
#540670 Hey fellow controllers,

Don't we all hate it when there are just WAY to many text pilots online? Doesn't it just terrorise all of us?
Now imagine if every pilot were a text-y :? !!

And now imagine a VATSIM on which every pilot used voice, much better, hhm?

Now, then why is it that we all HATE to use text when it comes down to pilots, but for controllers it doesn't seem to matter at all?! If we can eliminate the need to text other controllers, why don't we just take that opportunity with open arms?

My fellow VCCS controllers & I urge all of you to stop texting your collegues and start talking to one another! (Sounds scary right? Ugh another human, meh :? )

How are we gonna do this?
-VCCS!

But Matisse, setting up the VCCS panel takes up way too much time, I have other things to do!
-False! All you really need to do to make it operational i.e. 1) set a servername and nickname 2) set a ptt 3) choose your capture and playback device. Thats it!

You don't need a beautiful VCCS panel like this one (thank you Erik!) "http://prntscr.com/q5nh7u" to talk to others, or receive calls. Just right click the controller in the controller list and click on "call on VCCS" (https://prnt.sc/q5nuhu)

So, for the love of God, go download Euroscope's latest beta, set up your VCCS & shame others for not doing the same (READ encourage others) :wink: !

https://www.euroscope.hu/wp/category/beta-release/ (ES beta download)
Clueless about the setup? https://community.vatsim.uk/topic/32894 ... tup-guide/
Having a really bad day 'n it ain't working? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwKD2cc7y7Y

Kind regards

Your fellow controllers

PS: @VCCS users, which server do guys use? I think this might be one of the few things holding others back!

EDIT Typo and political correctness :P
Last edited by Matisse VanWezer 1385143 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Norman Blackburn 870575
Matisse VanWezer 1385143 wrote:Don't we all hate it when there are just WAY to many text pilots online? Doesn't it just terrorise all of us?
Now imagine if every pilot were a text-y :? !!

Many of us recall when text was the ONLY option. Heck we used to even have to do a separate exam just to use voice.
As for terrorise? A very dramatic and wrong use of a word.

Matisse VanWezer 1385143 wrote:And now imagine a VATSIM on which every pilot used voice, much better, hhm?

See first reply.
Did you know that the real world is going the exact opposite way with more and more text being used?

Matisse VanWezer 1385143 wrote:So, for the love of God, go download Euroscope's latest beta, set up your VCCS & shame other for not doing the same :wink: !

But I use VRC. Or another controller client. What then?
By Matisse VanWezer 1385143
Many of us recall when text was the ONLY option. Heck we used to even have to do a separate exam just to use voice.

See first reply.
Did you know that the real world is going the exact opposite way with more and more text being used?

- I'm not trying to be impolite but what are you trying to say here? Shall we go back to a text only environment? I don't think there's a reason to look at the past when the solution is literally available for everyone to use.

-As for 'A very dramatic and wrong use of a word' That's story telling. I could've also made a boring text no one would've bothered to read. But that's my opinion and I don't expect you to agree. It also has nothing to do with what I'm trying say and derives from the post.

--Yes, but CPDLC is nothing like text. Also that's beyond the objective of the post. We're only trying to get other controllers to use VCCS, which btw 99% of the controllers in Europe can use (bc they use Euroscope).
I won't blame anyone for not using it if they use a different scope, of course! But I wasn't targetting them anyway...

Hope that clears things up! :D
By Michael Pike 812012
#540680 Thanks for the reminder about calling via the controller list - I'd forgotten that!
I try to use VCCS, but it only works if everyone uses it. Otherwise you waste time trying and failing to make contact on VCCS first. I know that's the point of your ingenious post!

We need a publicly available VATSIM server to connect to (I don't know what cost is involved in making such a thing available).
By Brad Littlejohn 811975
Matisse VanWezer 1385143 wrote:

See first reply.

- I'm not trying to be impolite but what are you trying to say here? Shall we go back to a text only environment? I don't think there's a reason to look at the past when the solution is literally available for everyone to use.

-As for 'A very dramatic and wrong use of a word' That's story telling. I could've also made a boring text no one would've bothered to read. But that's my opinion and I don't expect you to agree. It also has nothing to do with what I'm trying say and derives from the post.

--Yes, but CPDLC is nothing like text. Also that's beyond the objective of the post. We're only trying to get other controllers to use VCCS, which btw 99% of the controllers in Europe can use (bc they use Euroscope).
I won't blame anyone for not using it if they use a different scope, of course! But I wasn't targetting them anyway...

Hope that clears things up! :D

Wow.. and a perfect way of effectively shaming those who are hard of hearing because they want or have no choice but to use text? Real nice job here.

Oh.. and about having a separate voice exam? A controller in particular who had to take that exam, was me. That was in addition to having to take the S1, S2, and S3 exams at the time to even be able to take the voice exam to be able to use voice. So all of us started out as text.

And Norm's comment about "terrorize" is fairly spot on, especially if we go back to how we almost lost this network due to "terrorists" setting up something similar to practice their 9/11 skills on, let alone those crazy enough to fire up FS2000 or the few copies of FS2K2 that came out with the WTC still depicted and recreate those events.

What Norm is getting at here is that some forethought could and should have gone into the post prior to posting it. Granted this may all be tongue-in-cheek, but the way it's reading, it doesn't sound like it.

BL.