Air Traffic Controller Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Alex Seeberger 1129791
Anders Moen 1066135 wrote:Testing out some new home made oceanic tools together with Magnus Meese (997444) on Shanwick and Gander this evening :)

That looks awesome....any chance that home made project will go public? Can you build the sector file or is it part of the executable?
By Anders Moen 1066135
#494887 Yes, indeed! Just needs to bug test it some more and wrap up a few things. Found a few bugs on tonight's session, then it'll be available for everyone I can find on the Shanwick/Gander member list :)

No idea when it'll be ready though, as I'm usually away from home from Monday morning until Friday evening due work, so it takes some time.

I've already created a list/table (the map uses the same data, so you can use the table+map together if you want, whenever that is ready) that is already available for Shanwick/Gander controllers to use. This is based on the Excel table that was created a long time ago. This can be found at http://oca.vnas.net (which is where the map will be available as well, once it's done). I've learned a lot in-between creating the list and the map, so for now, there will be a few things in the list that doesn't work too well etc - at least compared to the map, but it's usable. You'll know what I mean if you ever use it.
Here's an image of the list:

It's not part of the sector file or the executable - this is all browser based :)
By Alex Seeberger 1129791
#494888 Thanks much for sharing. Yeah I've been looking for a good program to simulate oceanic and a few exist, the only problem is they typically are built for Atlantic crossings. It would be great if something would come along that is universal and can be used world wide. One day that may come:)
By Wygene Chong 1089621
#494897 Hei Anders,

Looks like this thread is going slightly off topic, but in a good way! I wonder if you'd also care to make the tool available to Iceland Radio and Søndrestrøm Information controllers on request (see roster)? As you already know, we've got pretty much the same procedures as Shanwick/Gander except that we use only random routes (and have lots of radar coverage ;))
By Josh Glottmann 1275389
#494904 I guess looking at the image on mobile wasn't the best idea. Also, since I don't believe their is any overlap with the rosters at Gander and Shanwick, you might want to also make this available to those who received this Oceanic cert at Gander (http://www.ganderoceanic.com/roster/Roster.aspx).
By Anders Moen 1066135
#494908 Josh: Yeah, it's a simple conflict checker. For now, it only checks the estimated time between two aircraft on the same level inbound the same waypoint/coordinate. I have a friend who managed to create/fix a function for me that checks intersecting lines, however, so far I've only been able to make it work on aircraft that flies on the same routing - kinda unnecessary hehe
Also the roster you linked to, is the same as the one I linked to, I believe? Just a different domain it seems

Wygene: I might make a version for Reykjavik and Bodø OACC as well, based a bit more on BOAS ATM (pretty much the same ATM as Reykjavik uses), but this depends whether I'm able to convert the sector coordinates to a conic projection (or something like that) so the airspaces will look more correct (just imagine how much easier this would all be if the earth was flat like these stupid maps we use are :mrgreen:). Otherwise I don't think it'll happen - at least for now.
Besides, the system is "hard coded" for Shanwick/Gander, so easterly coordinates simply won't work yet. But like I said, I do have some plans for BOAS if I can convert lat/lng to LCC

New York/Santa Maria might be possible with the current setup, but no plans for it as of now. So many other things to do in-between work :)