Air Traffic Controller Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Andrew Miller 873677
#343794 I'm creating an application to be able to create sector files What sort of ideas do you guys have?

I would like to have a way to import data from, and I'm not sure what the best option would be, since this data is no longer free. Would being able to place objects and draw shapes on the form be beneficial?

What sort of tools for creating/editing a sector file would be helpful>
By Ross Carlson 887155
#344627 Being able to define a center point, radius, starting angle and ending angle to draw an arc would be useful for drawing class B/C/D airspace boundaries. Being able to specify the center of the arc as a lat/lon pair or a VOR or Airport would be extra helpful.
By Johan Grauers 1113891
#344644 Specifiying ground layouts easily would really help. Drawing taxiways and marking stands etc. And something I'd like is also if it's possible to specify things like grass and buildings. That way you can make gnd files wich will look ggreat :D (green between taxiways, grey buildings, black surrondings etc).
By Anthony Baker 1080999
#344675 a way to use a jpg. or pdf. of the airport diagram as a background

and have it so that zoom will match the diagram (correct scale)
By Andrew Miller 873677
Ross Carlson 887155 wrote:Being able to define a center point, radius, starting angle and ending angle to draw an arc would be useful for drawing class B/C/D airspace boundaries. Being able to specify the center of the arc as a lat/lon pair or a VOR or Airport would be extra helpful.

Shapes is definitely something that will be created, this is one of the limitations of the file format without using a program to do this. Great idea around the lat/long pair.

I plan to have every object selectable, and the coordinates can be manually changed via right clicking on the object and going to the properties window. New objects can be placed by simply selecting what type of object you want(fix, vor, etc) and clicking on the map.

In order to save your progress on the file, I'm going to have to save as another file format, then be able to "export" as a .sct2 file when finished. This is so the properties of the shapes and settings are maintained.

Also, this will be a long project. I have no DirectX experience, so it is a learning experience.
By Wade Williams 877539
I plan to have every object selectable, and the coordinates can be manually changed via right clicking on the object and going to the properties window.

That's an OK idea, but try to think about the user and not make it a typical Windows program. In other words don't make right-clicking and selecting properties the only way to edit the location. It's fine for one point, but when you've got 200 points to edit, people will be cursing your name.

Instead, perhaps create a floating "command-window" where the user could type the lat/long in some shorthand and then apply it.
By Stefan Hueneburg 1062056
#344809 Another idea would be to create a sector file preprocessor which can read a meta sector file language and convert it into a valid sector file format.

And these high level meta language would include fancy stuff like airspaces, arcs, circles, holdings etc. what the the sector file format doesnt know.
By Andrew Miller 873677
Stefan Hueneburg 1062056 wrote:Another idea would be to create a sector file preprocessor which can read a meta sector file language and convert it into a valid sector file format.

And these high level meta language would include fancy stuff like airspaces, arcs, circles, holdings etc. what the the sector file format doesnt know.

What is this meta language? I'm looking for a method to import some data, but I am not sure what people would have access to.
By Johan Grauers 1113891
Julian Hoffman 850174 wrote:I'm fairly certain that the drawing of grass and whatnot isn't possible in VRC/ASRC files, and only in Euroscope.... could be wrong though.

Take a look at these screens then ;) :mrgreen:
creds to Callum McLoughlin
Creds to Martin Loxbo (even though I could have taken that one myself since I use that file while controlling ESSA :D )
By Ross Carlson 887155
Julian Hoffman 850174 wrote:You just proved my point.... only in Euroscope...

I created the .sct2 extensions for VRC, and Gergely implemented them in Euroscope, along with his own extensions. Here are some examples in VRC:

http://www.metacraft.com/VRC/forums/vie ... php?t=2138
http://www.metacraft.com/VRC/forums/vie ... php?t=2160