Air Traffic Controller Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Richard Jenkins 800012
#38449 Controllers,

When logging in please be sure to set the appropriate visibility range for the position you are manning. This will help with various issues concerning the network. If you login with the incorrect range, you will be asked to correct it. Thank you for your cooperation!

General rule:

10-20 nm for DEL/GND

30-50 nm for TWR

100-150 nm for APP/DEP

300-600 nm for CTR
Last edited by Richard Jenkins 800012 on Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Javier Larroulet 878670
#38547 wilco!

Richard, maybe it would be a good idea to email a mass notam to the network saying this so everyone gets it and we can save some work to supervisors all around the network
Javier Larroulet 878670 wrote:wilco!

Richard, maybe it would be a good idea to email a mass notam to the network saying this so everyone gets it and we can save some work to supervisors all around the network

We will send it in the next NOTAM, we just need to wait a few more days before sending one. We don't want to end up on a ISP spam list.
By Mike Roda 908206
#38600 Rather than relying on the honor system forever, maybe the next version of ASRC should restrict the visibility based on the position controlling.
Mike Roda 908206 wrote:Rather than relying on the honor system forever, maybe the next version of ASRC should restrict the visibility based on the position controlling.

We would like to try and go the education route first, that will leave some flexibility for people who might need a few extra miles here and there. Plus the new ATC clients will have remote sensing so range will not be a huge issue. They will just create second and third views.

If we can't get some compliance then we will go the tech route and just restrict it from the server.
By Ross Carlson 887155
Richard Jenkins 800012 wrote:If we can't get some compliance then we will go the tech route and just restrict it from the server.

Perhaps a combination of the tech route and education? Use the server to send a reminder to the client if, 5 minutes after they connect, their range is still too high. (Give them 5 minutes to set the proper range.) And allow SUPs to easily fetch a list of clients which have an invalid range set, so that they can follow up. (Maybe this already exists, not sure if you have to check each client individually or if you have a way to list them.)
By Nicholas Bartolotta 912967
#38658 ZID's got it down! :D
By Justin Ingersoll 814352
#38684 You might want to add the OBS range restriction.

Richard, you're from Sacramento? My family is from there and I'll be visiting for Christmas, maybe I'll see you around.
By Mark Brummett 812002
#38820 I had an instructor of mine bring up a valid point. What if that instructor, or any instructor, is logged on as xx-xx-ins, and needs to have his range set to 600 miles. Or he's pulling double duty; working approach and instructing someone who is working center, when he will need to have that range to see the student?

Just something to point out.
#38829 Those are not what we are looking for. It is common to login and find most positions with their range set to 400 -600NM. There is no reason DEL...GND...TWR...or APP need to see anything that far. It puts a tremendous strain on the network when traffic is heavy, people need to get used to the idea of always checking their range, even when traffic is low. If you want to keep the lag monster somewhat undercontrol, don't be part of the problem. This is more of an education thing than an enforcement issue. So far we have had no trouble when asking people to reduce range. It most cases they had simply forgot to check after changing positions.