Air Traffic Controller Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Ross Carlson 887155
Brendan Samson 1070087 wrote:How much bandwidth does a 10 mile vis range compared to a 300 mile vis range use?

How much $$$ does it cost vatsim for a controller with a 50 mile vis range over 1 hour?

It depends entirely on how much traffic there is in the visible area.

Why do you ask?
By Brendan Samson 1070087
Ross Carlson 887155 wrote:It depends entirely on how much traffic there is in the visible area.

Why do you ask?

I just think its interesting, and I bet that if everyone knew that every plane they saw cost vatsim $00.0001 or whatever the cost is, people might start to lower their visrange.
By Aaron Cannata 811277
Mike Evans 822396 wrote:That bug only manifests when the servers split & reconnect.. it's a byproduct of the servers trying to resync with each other.

Is it just me, or does the bug still exist? I still, to this date, see controllers from halfway around the world when I'm controlling at ZLA. And I can't imagine a range of 600nm can accomplish all that. Is VRC version 1.2.1 the latest?

Thanks for your help.
By Ross Carlson 887155
Aaron Cannata 811277 wrote:
Mike Evans 822396 wrote:That bug only manifests when the servers split & reconnect.. it's a byproduct of the servers trying to resync with each other.

Is it just me, or does the bug still exist? I still, to this date, see controllers from halfway around the world when I'm controlling at ZLA. And I can't imagine a range of 600nm can accomplish all that. Is VRC version 1.2.1 the latest?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, it still exists. It's not a VRC bug, so the VRC version doesn't matter. (It's a server bug.)
By Thomas Mathieu 998318
Ross Carlson 887155 wrote:
Aaron Cannata 811277 wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Yes, it still exists. It's not a VRC bug, so the VRC version doesn't matter. (It's a server bug.)

You bet. I had a few run ins early last year with Harv Stein (VATSIM5) a few times for being seen around the world only to controllers (not pilots) I had no control over that but it took quite a few PM's to make my case.
By Alexander Cohrs 899395
#286095 Guys,

today, when working at Accra Control in Ghana/Africa, I was shown in the controller lists of ATCOS in Europe, Canada AND South America. And I swear, my Vis points were set correctly. So I guess there are still some bugs around.

(And if it helps: I am using Euroscope, not VRC)

Alex
By Thomas Mathieu 998318
Alexander Cohrs 899395 wrote:Guys,

today, when working at Accra Control in Ghana/Africa, I was shown in the controller lists of ATCOS in Europe, Canada AND South America. And I swear, my Vis points were set correctly. So I guess there are still some bugs around.

(And if it helps: I am using Euroscope, not VRC)

Alex

This is a known issue. I have had many run-in's with Harv pleading to him that I had my client set up correctly but was still showing up in controllers' boxes all over the VATSIM globe. To this day, I still have controllers from all over asking me where "DNKK is" :oops:
By Anthony Baker 1080999
#307242 OBS max range 200?

i thought is is upto 600 or even 400
By Jonas Eberle 1068951
#307390 Many OBSing can be accomplished with "simulated traffic" in EuroScopes. This just pulls the Whazzup file (like ServInfo) from the servers every 2 minutes. If you want to listen to voice, you may log on with vis range of 5NM and tune to the controller you like.

It would be very helpful if I could see the current server load. I could choose the best server easier and track down some lag/connection problems with planes. Maybe output a simple number, accessible like the Voice server stats? (:18009/?opts=-D-R). Including vis range/number of vis centers of connected clients would be nice also.
By Anthony Baker 1080999
#307468 Jonas, Didn't know Euroscope had that seems like it would be pretty cool.

But I am useing Vrc which is less complicated and more user friendly. (in my opinion)

Norm, In small artccs 200nm and a few visual points can cover the enitre artcc and more.

But in a Larger ARTCC 200nm and all 4 vis points cann't always cover all of the artcc.

even if you have the points vis not overlaping.

400nm is a bit high but i also have seen twr with rng 150nm and polietly told them it should be 50nm

maybe a max range of 300 or 250 for obs and i was unaware of this rule the first list should be updated.