Air Traffic Controller Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Davor Kusec 990407
#477193 I DO use an alias file as a SUP because it simply makes things easier. I mean honestly, I'm going to type the same thing anyways where I introduce myself (Except maybe change a word or two) so why not use an alias, especially if you're the only SUP online (or maybe one of two) and there are 5/6 working conflicts. I do want to make the point that I approach scenarios differently if I understand the problem (controller or pilot explains it via the wallop). I don't ask what the problem is but ask if they have anything further to add to their wallop because a lot of folks shorten it in the wallop message.

It was (sort of) mentioned before but I, as the supervisor, have to answer for my actions. If I kick someone from the network, I have to answer to the VP-SUPS or my Sr. SUP if they decide to question why I kicked someone (and this has happened to me before). The controller (or pilot) sending the wallop doesn't have to answer to the VP-SUPS for the actions that I take. If I need more information to make a stronger case, I will ask so please do not take this as being offensive and repetitive. Sometimes I need you to type it out so that I can screenshot it for evidence as this is one of the best forms of evidence we have on the network. With that being said, I do make it a point to move my radar scope over the 'scene' of the conflict so that I can see what's going on and if I need to take immediate action and answer to my managers later. I hope this helps clear a few things up.
By Cody Cochran 1183112
#477874 To reiterate what have may already been said in this thread (I didn't bother looking), when calling for a SUP PLEASE include a reason stating why you need help in your .WALLOP. I have seen this all to recently these past few weeks.

Bad example: .WALLOP I need help - This does us absolutely no good.

Good example: .WALLOP AALXX No contact for XX mins (If applicable) ----- or .WALLOP AWEXX Disrespectful and interrupting transmissions.

This tells us what we are dealing with, who we are dealing with and lets us take immediate steps to solve it. Whereas if we get "I NEED HELP", we have to take the time to ask what is wrong and how we can help.

Also, please give us some time to deal with the situation. Not everything can be solved in 3 minuets.

Thanks!
By Scott Norton 1241275
Don Desfosse 1035677 wrote:
Cody Cochran 1183112 wrote:Not everything can be solved in 3 minuets.

Right. Sometimes it takes 3 waltzes or 3 tangos! :mrgreen:

Oh, Don... :mrgreen:

I think it is equally important for pilots to understand the proper use of .WALLOP, especially since controllers are neither perfect at recognizing or managing problems nor immune from the sorts of CoC violations for which we .WALLOP. Just as a pilot can be unresponsive to controllers, I have seen controllers unable (or unwilling) to respond to pilots. I've also observed controllers who have failed at their basic job - to maintain proper separation between aircraft under their control - and in doing so allow conflicts between IFR aircraft to occur.

Unfortunately, I have not seen the use of .WALLOP detailed in the newbie's guide to VATSIM, and this is a serious omission. It is the right and duty of all network users to know the (proper use of) tools available for reporting and handling incidents involving other members.