Air Traffic Controller Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Kirk Christie 956763
#507728 When you are a Tower controller only, and you close the airport for which you have logged into, what exactly is that doing for you, the network and pilots? essentially you are saying you want to be logged into the network and not do any controlling?

If there is no controller above you, who is going to instruct the arrivals to enter and exit a hold, the Tower controller cant.
By Ryan Parry 965346
#507801 This is a really simple issue. Whether it is an airport closure, tower closure, or runway closure, I let the pilots decide what they want to do and everybody is happy. It's mostly a small airport thing, like a class D, and if I have multiple aircraft coming in it adds to the work load to simulate two different things, but I don't mind.

"XYZ Airport is closed due to ABC, if you'd like to simulate please advise".
"XYZ tower is closed, if you'd like to simulate please advise".
By Trent Hopkinson 812681
Ryan Parry 965346 wrote:This is a really simple issue. Whether it is an airport closure, tower closure, or runway closure, I let the pilots decide what they want to do and everybody is happy. It's mostly a small airport thing, like a class D, and if I have multiple aircraft coming in it adds to the work load to simulate two different things, but I don't mind.

"XYZ Airport is closed due to ABC, if you'd like to simulate please advise".
"XYZ tower is closed, if you'd like to simulate please advise".

XYZ Noted that you are closed.... Traffic XYZ, [aircraft type] [Callsign], entering downwind runway [number] XYZ.
Now XYZ_TWR has become a poor man's voice CTAF...