Air Traffic Controller Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Robert Shearman Jr 1155655
#534036 Also not how the real world works. Pilots flying into busy Class B airports don't get to dictate their runway choice. ATC issues runway assignments to best meet the needs of overall traffic flow at the time. I have difficulty understanding why one might spend all that money and time so they can fly an ultra-realistic aircraft, but stop short at wanting to learn to cope with runway assignment changes, vectors for traffic, holds, and other issues that come with real airliner flights.

And I truly fail to understand why one would connect to VATSIM at all if they did not want to interact with ATC -- why not a more casual multiplayer environment like FSCloud or others instead?

(I'm not suggesting there aren't reasons, FYI -- just that I have difficulty understanding them.)
By Johnny Coughlan 861497
Arthur Melton 1092578 wrote:if I am flying a payware with an FMS which I have all set up including the star I don't need a controller to interfere

Great logic *clap* *clap*.

Arthur Melton 1092578 wrote:I have my FSinn radar on at all times to see local traffic

Good luck connecting and using your 'radar' with FSinn once AVF is released, bye bye :D .

Arthur Melton 1092578 wrote:Good idea. How do I resign from Vatsim??

This isn't a job, I hope you realise that, you do realise that don't you?.
By Dhruv Kalra 878508
Arthur Melton 1092578 wrote:Good idea. How do I resign from Vatsim??

So instead of embracing the variability and unpredictability that is operating in the Air Traffic Control system, you'd rather take your ball and go home?

I sincerely hope you're not involved in aviation as a career or aspiring to the same. You're in for a lifetime of disappointment.
By Andreas Fuchs 810809
#534088 Then your reaction is causing even more raised eyebrows.

Edit: better style
Last edited by Andreas Fuchs 810809 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Richard McDonald Woods 843615
Arthur Melton 1092578 wrote:Hi Old buddy, I was in the Royal Air Force working on the real aeroplanes before you were wearing three cornered pants. {nappies or diapers}

Whoah, Arthur! Age does not apply here.
By Robert Shearman Jr 1155655
#534090 Arthur -- since you seem perfectly willing to continue engaging in this discussion, would you mind articulating your reasons for connecting to VATSIM, given your clear distaste for interacting with online ATC? My opinion (and the opinion of many, I suspect, including I imagine most of the Founders and Board of Governers, if I had to guess) is that pilot-to-ATC interaction is one of the fundamental reasons the network exists in the first place. So I'm curious as to your reasoning for using it, despite what seems to me to be a pretty venomous opinion of VATSIM Controllers. And yes, although surely it's an intentionally loaded question, I'm legitimately asking for your viewpoint.
By Magnus Meese 997444
Arthur Melton 1092578 wrote:When pilots hear contact me from a controller ,Its like the voice of doom, why don't they contact the callsign if all they just want is a fresh ID. Also if I am flying a payware with an FMS which I have all set up including the star I don't need a controller to interfere .also I have my FSinn radar on at all times to see local traffic At other times when flying my old freeby aircraft I have quiet enjoyed a talkdown waypoint to waypoint to the localiser,thanks

You've completely missed the whole role and function of both VATSIM and ATC.
By Andrew Ogden 1336925
#534094 Arthur,

I would like to echo Rob's question, and ask you why you connect to VATSIM if you avoid ATC? Surely if you do not want to interact with air traffic control you could simply just fly offline?

Cheer,s
By Richard Quigley 885897
Arthur Melton 1092578 wrote:Hi Old buddy, I was in the Royal Air Force working on the real aeroplanes before you were wearing three cornered pants. {nappies or diapers}

Ad hominem replies of this nature do nothing to enhance the moral position of the author nor do they advance an argument.

Replies above that cite the purpose of VATSIM (Virtual Air Traffic SIMulation) should have been sufficient to answer the question.

This network exists solely to provide an interface between Air Traffic Controllers and Pilots in a simulation of real world conditions.
Pilots who find ATC intrusive should simply fly off line. If they wish fly in company with other pilots there are several programs that make that possible. One need not be connected to VATSIM and there is no risk of intrusive ATC.
Last edited by Richard Quigley 885897 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Andreas Fuchs 810809
#534101 Oh, and don't go to IVAO: they do the same as we do: interaction between pilots and controllers.
By Nestor Perez 1369273
#534103 I feel like this thread has turned into "everyone 'against' Arthur"... I'm sure he can now see and understand what VATSIM is meant for and take any decission accordingly.

We should probably go back to the original topic and see if there's any other reasons for pilots disconnecting. This is something which affects many of us regularly when ATCing and it might help to understand the reasons behind it ;)
By Andreas Fuchs 810809
#534106 Arthur is just the poor soul who admitted to avoiding ATC on an ATC-network.