General discussion about current VA Partners
By Roger Curtiss 810159
Ernesto Alvarez 818262 wrote:i think it would be far easier to track users by ID, not callsign. the VA's already submit their members ID's to the network i would i assume? with the talent pool behind the scenes im sure someone can write a script to match ID's. we had something similar at AvA at one time, itd match the ID with the URL and only display you on the map if it matched.

as far as URL's in the remarks. i cant speak for all controllers but there are a hand full of controllers ive seen that have removed them in the past. dont know if those individuals still hold to that practice or not but i wouldnt rely on that

OK, I am a bit confused here. You offer a possible way to match names with URLs but then say that putting URL in the remarks might not be reliable.

Tracking users by ID does not provide an indication of whether they are flying under the flag of a particular VA.

One other solution (sure to be popular with VA managements :lol:) is to place the responsibility on them to provide, when requested, a list of their pilots (at least enough to meet the requirement) who have logged a flight with the VA in the past 90 days.
By Bradley Grafelman 1242018
#475727 Even if URLs are out, it does seem a bit of a shame that some mechanism in the remarks section can't be used to link a flight to a VA... e.g. something like "OPR/ABCAIR". While it might take a bit for the DB to churn away, it would then be a simple matter of selecting all flights with "OPR/<VA Name>" in the remarks and then ensuring the CIDs match up to pilots on that VA's roster.

In other words, we seem to already have the necessary components/tools to build an automatic solution that would negate nearly all (or completely) of the human effort needed to support the current manual solution. But, maybe that's just the computer engineer in me trying too hard to see automated solutions for everything.
By Kyle Ramsey 810181
#475728 An incomplete solution for sure, but if VATSIM had a little API that VAs could use when recording a flight report from a member, they check a box and it creates an entry in a file that can be easily collected and sent in by the VA on request. It would list any and all qualifying flights by that VA for period X. Roger's guys don't need much more than date and duration of the flight along with the CID of the pilot who made the flight. The rest of the flight details aren't needed.
By Ernesto Alvarez 818262
#475729 Roger what im saying is you cannot rely on the remarks basically because once the flightplan is submitted, its the controllers flight strip, they can pretty much edit as needed. very few ever touch the remarks section, but there are some out there that will, so its not something we can rely on.

i do like Kyle's idea though, and at least with the VA's ive been in, they can already comply with that as their reports do either automatically detect your flight was done online or lets the pilots select whether or not the flight was online or not, and this is further verified by the VA. its much easier for the VA's to verify that data then submit it to VATSIM, and less work for you guys to do with the audits later, the VA's "should" have weeded out the false reports or ones not verifiable by the time it lands on your desk.
By Scott DeWoody 1003218
#475738 [quote="Roger Curtiss 810159"]
One other solution (sure to be popular with VA managements :lol:) is to place the responsibility on them to provide, when requested, a list of their pilots (at least enough to meet the requirement) who have logged a flight with the VA in the past 90 days.[/quote]

Now THAT is a solution that most VA's would not have a problem with...
By David Zhong 1027224
#476657 [quote="Roger Curtiss 810159"]One other solution (sure to be popular with VA managements :lol:) is to place the responsibility on them to provide, when requested, a list of their pilots (at least enough to meet the requirement) who have logged a flight with the VA in the past 90 days.[/quote]

I know of one VA who has already provided me with this to assist with our own local audits (we apply largely the same rules for local affiliation). I think most VAs already have the algorithms and structures in place to create such a list.

I have some concerns with some of the new requirements and I will be canvassing our local affiliates for their views, which I will pass onto you via email in due time.

David Zhong
VATPAC VA Liaison Officer
Director Operations VATPAC