By Daniel Klepp 1035750
#507998 Hello, when controlling in Norway i experience quite often that as soon as i release an aircraft with DEP within the UK, or sometimes when i assign squawk before tracking it, someone somewhere assigns a new squawk and a temp altitude of typically 4000/5000ft.

I guess it is some plugin interfering? Would be nice if someone caught that bug :)

Attaching a picture of an aircraft i just released on the border between Norway and Sweden. Immediately changed temp alt and squawk when released.
By Jonas Kuster 1158939
#508011 Unfortunately, this is already an issue for a very very long time. It's caused generally by controllers from Britain, so I guess VCA is the causer. There are some automatic changes of values done by this plugin, but unfortunately also outside the covering area. This means, even a tower station online in GB which previously had contact with an aircraft will initiate change of cleared flight level and squawk even if I have the concerning aircraft assigned. The network protocol doesn't prevent this, so a plugin can change values also when the aircraft is assigned by another controller. This is exactly what happens.
I already tried to explain the issue in the UK forum (because VCA is/was developped by Craig Phillips from VATSIM UK) and found other controllers experiencing the same issue (https://community.vatsim-uk.co.uk/topic ... ent=296374). Unfortunately, Craig is neither very active nor showing understanding and offering support to fix the issue.
Perhaps, we have to bring the issue to the next level and aiming for a change of the server software to prevent such (by the network rules) forbidden commands. Generally you could say, every member using this plugin and causing this kind of commands is violating the network rules. But I think it's clear that a punishment of individual members isn't really a solution.
By Craig Phillips 947617
Jonas Kuster 1158939 wrote:Unfortunately, this is already an issue for a very very long time. It's caused generally by controllers from Britain, so I guess VCA is the causer. There are some automatic changes of values done by this plugin, but unfortunately also outside the covering area. This means, even a tower station online in GB which previously had contact with an aircraft will initiate change of cleared flight level and squawk even if I have the concerning aircraft assigned. The network protocol doesn't prevent this, so a plugin can change values also when the aircraft is assigned by another controller. This is exactly what happens.
I already tried to explain the issue in the UK forum (because VCA is/was developped by Craig Phillips from VATSIM UK) and found other controllers experiencing the same issue (https://community.vatsim-uk.co.uk/topic ... ent=296374). Unfortunately, Craig is neither very active nor showing understanding and offering support to fix the issue.
Perhaps, we have to bring the issue to the next level and aiming for a change of the server software to prevent such (by the network rules) forbidden commands. Generally you could say, every member using this plugin and causing this kind of commands is violating the network rules. But I think it's clear that a punishment of individual members isn't really a solution.

I am aware of this issue, and I have Euroscope logs that have been sent with people who are experiencing this issue. Despite having these logs of the issue, I have never seen the issue myself, which makes it difficult to resolve a problem I cannot see. I have attempted to make a fix and released it to several beta testers, however it does not seem to have resolved the problem. Unfortunately, due to work and university commitments I have not been able to commit much time to VCA, but I am aware that VCA is close to being unsupported by VAT-UK (which I do not which to happen).

I will try my hardest to commit the majority of my free time this week before Christmas solely on VCA.

Merry Christmas!

Craig
By Andreas Fuchs 810809
#508085 Hi Craig,

great to see you are willing to invest time into solving these problems. Keeping fingers crossed that you will find the issue in your code quickly.
By Jonas Kuster 1158939
Craig Phillips 947617 wrote:I will try my hardest to commit the majority of my free time this week before Christmas solely on VCA.
Very happy to hear that. I know free time is a rare thing for most people contributing to the VATSIM network, for me also. Sorry about my harsh words, but my hope for improvement was nearly gone after I attempted several times to get in contact with you and even offered my help in testing the new version, but received no answer ...
By Anthony Lawrence 980234
#508522 All,

You'll see Craig has worked to put out a fix for this issue: https://community.vatsim-uk.co.uk/topic ... ent-307773

As controllers download the new tool, you'll notice this happens less and less. We've put measures in place to ensure this type of issue doesn't taken in excess of 12 months to resolve in the future.

Apologies to anyone it's impacted.

Regards,
Anthony
By Mark Nelson 1266047
Anthony Lawrence 980234 wrote:As controllers download the new tool, you'll notice this happens less and less. We've put measures in place to ensure this type of issue doesn't taken in excess of 12 months to resolve in the future.

It has been 17 months now and the problem still occurs on a regular basis, mainly for traffic from and to the UK. Although today I had it happen to all traffic arriving from LEPA as well. They were all cleared to 5000 feet despite passing a radar sector before reaching LSAS airspace.

I kindly ask you to make controllers aware of what to do to have this stop. We've lived with it and not said anything (at least in this thread) for a long time now. In my opinion, the time should've been sufficient to sort this out.