By Craig Phillips 947617
Magnus Meese 997444 wrote:It's not harsh, it's frank. Your plugin has negatively impacted my online experience for a long time, it does not help that it's done for free. The fact that you also seem aggrevated that someone would want to .wallop something that messes with their controller software over the servers does not soften the annoyance. You wouldn't be very appreciative if someone painted your house per your specifications for free but then drew a giant something-in-particular on one of your walls. You would not be much happier afterwards when this person told you that he did you that service for free and that he finds your attack on his artistery offensive. "Oh, calling the police? That's rich, I'll have you know we've opend a forum thread discussing the likes of you!"

Hasn't server wide FPs always been available through flightplan dialogues in various clients? Just like you can PM anyone outside your visrange? I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall as such.

I'm quite happy I solely have the power to impact your online experience, but I'm so sorry to hear it's a negative one. With all due respect I have tried MANY times to resolve the issues, however due to the unreliable nature of the Euroscope API and the VATSIM protocol, it is impossible to fix...

I have vast experience in programming in the real-world, working for a well known aircraft manufacturer, so I think I know what I am talking about. Given what is available through the Euroscope API and VATSIM protocol is somewhat unreliable and too restrictive... If you would like to criticise and think you can do better, then go ahead... I have better things to worry about in the real world than the politics of VATSIM.

Unfortunately during the years I have been a member of VATSIM, I have seen it to become overrun by autocratic immature young children who get too heavily involved in the politics to give themselves a title that in turn makes it un-enjoyable for others. I have contributed many things to VATSIM, to what reward? To be mocked, chastised and BLAMED for mistakes that quite frankly are not my own, and yet I am trying my best to work around them. That DOES NOT motivate myself or others to contribute anything further.

Having discovered that the latest version of VCA released today does NOT fix the bugs, despite various attempts of working around the limitations of the Euroscope API and VATSIM protocol and for the various negative comments I have received, would you and others prefer I disable VCA entirely? Please bare in mind that VCA is a lot more than a squawk code allocator and initial altitude setter... :)

Kind Regards

Craig Phillips
By Trevor Hannant 1240481
#516955 Rather than everyone trying to point score over others, would it not be an idea to work together to help resolve the issue(s) quicker? If you're having issues as a result of the plugin, perhaps providing logs/video captures of it happening so that Craig can see it if he's not able to reproduce himself?

The VATSIM community is a community - maybe working together as one will help to make everyone's experience more enjoyable in the longer term...?
By Thimo Koolen 1345135
#516958 Just an idea which has been proposed before: make the plugin open source. Other people could help you out and maybe someone has a solution which fixes the problem. You say you do it in your free time, well maybe other skilled people could help you out when it is open source.
By Jonas Kuster 1158939
Craig Phillips 947617 wrote:Having discovered that the latest version of VCA released today does NOT fix the bugs, despite various attempts of working around the limitations of the Euroscope API and VATSIM protocol and for the various negative comments I have received, would you and others prefer I disable VCA entirely? Please bare in mind that VCA is a lot more than a squawk code allocator and initial altitude setter...
No need to shutdown the entire plugin, but how about to deactivate the faulty modules until a satisfactory solution has been found?

So let's start discussing these issues. Can you confirm the following problems exist?
VATSIM: the protocol allows commands on aircraft outside the visibility range of the controller.
ES API: Certain functions to not work as expected. Can you name the functions, describe the expected and actual output?
Did you notify the relevant persons about this issues? Especially with Gergely, I have very good experience in timely assistance to solve issues (like for the latest release r16).
By Craig Phillips 947617
Jonas Kuster 1158939 wrote:
Craig Phillips 947617 wrote:Having discovered that the latest version of VCA released today does NOT fix the bugs, despite various attempts of working around the limitations of the Euroscope API and VATSIM protocol and for the various negative comments I have received, would you and others prefer I disable VCA entirely? Please bare in mind that VCA is a lot more than a squawk code allocator and initial altitude setter...
No need to shutdown the entire plugin, but how about to deactivate the faulty modules until a satisfactory solution has been found?

So let's start discussing these issues. Can you confirm the following problems exist?
VATSIM: the protocol allows commands on aircraft outside the visibility range of the controller.
ES API: Certain functions to not work as expected. Can you name the functions, describe the expected and actual output?
Did you notify the relevant persons about this issues? Especially with Gergely, I have very good experience in timely assistance to solve issues (like for the latest release r16).

So today any version prior to the current latest (B23) of VCA has been disabled... Could you please inform me, preferably with an ES log if you have any further issues with neighbouring controllers.

Many Thanks

Craig Phillips
(Developer of VCA)
By Craig Phillips 947617
Jonas Kuster 1158939 wrote:

Now the latest version has been running for a week, have you experienced any squawk code or temporary altitude problems?

Kind Regards

Craig
By Calum Towers 1258635
Craig Phillips 947617 wrote:
Calum Towers 1258635 wrote:The easiest way of doing so is providing a suitable replacement which is currently in development.

If that is the case, I don't see that it is open source... which goes against the grain a bit. One rule for one, another rule for another one?

When the plugin is released, it will be open source.

Thanks,
By Andreas Fuchs 810809
#517399 Hi Craig,
Craig Phillips 947617 wrote:Now the latest version has been running for a week, have you experienced any squawk code or temporary altitude problems?
I have controlled as EURM_CTR last night and did not come across the usual problems. That looks quite promising!