Discussion of aviation matters that are not specifically to do with VATSIM
By Don Desfosse 1035677
#518018 You could ask the controller for a landing clearance, or soften it up a bit and ask the question, "Tower, is ____ cleared to land?" He'll probably immediately think, "oops" and quickly give you a landing clearance. :)
By Robert Shearman Jr 1155655
#518059 If there's no ATC, just do it! If there's other nearby traffic it's good to announce your intentions on CTAF (or, on VATSIM, on 122.8 ) so they can adjust their plans accordingly if necessary. Otherwise there's usually no reason you shouldn't perform a low-approach, touch-and-go, or stop-and-go if you want to.

(EDIT: more correct on VATSIM than real-world. I noticed after I posted which subforum we were in. Still should be accurate, though, unless the traffic situation at the airfield dictates otherwise.)
By Robert Shearman Jr 1155655
#518092 Yah -- not sure what you're asking at this point. Is this a towered or non-towered field? Basically, if you're on short final and haven't received your landing clearance, an appropriate call might be "_____ Tower, Mooney 531MD, confirm landing clearance?" and they should respond with either clearance or a go-around command. If they don't answer, the appropriate action is to initiate a go-around and then report it on frequency as soon as able.
By Lindsey Wiebe 1101951
#518165 What I've done in real life is call tower "Tower Oscar Sierra Bravo short final rwy 2" or "left base" or wherever you may be at the time. This is the gentle nudge way, sharper nudge is "confirm landing clearance". Now if you can't remember if you've been cleared or not then "confirm landing clearance" is appropriate, they'd rather you ask than guess.