Pilot Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Robert Shearman Jr 1155655
Josh Glottmann 1275389 wrote:".msg OAK_CTR (message)" without the quotes.

Just make certain it's .msg that you typed, because (at least in other clients; I assume it's the same with xSquawkBox) any unrecognized command (if you typo it or accidentally use .mes) will be interpreted as a message to be sent out over the channel. It's particularly embarrassing if you were PMing someone to laugh about someone else's goof-up. (Not that this has ever happened to me... ;-) )

Side note... in vPilot, I now use .chat {callsign} to open a chat tab first, then type the message in there, to prevent making the same gaff. I learn from my ... err ... other people's mistakes... lol.
By Jerry Olson 1398009
#516186 I keep trying to Private Message when flying on the network. I see someone on VatSpy and I hit the Number Pad * Key. The Box comes up with .MSG CR_APP

I type something and then it looks like this

.MSG CR_APP N15270 Do You read me ENTER

I have tried it this way

.MSG CR_APP <N15270> <Do You read me> ENTER

I have never got an answer so I assume I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?
By Trent Hopkinson 812681
Jerry Olson 1398009 wrote:I keep trying to Private Message when flying on the network. I see someone on VatSpy and I hit the Number Pad * Key. The Box comes up with .MSG CR_APP

I type something and then it looks like this

.MSG CR_APP N15270 Do You read me ENTER

I have tried it this way

.MSG CR_APP <N15270> <Do You read me> ENTER

I have never got an answer so I assume I'm doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Option 1
.msg (lower case)
CR_APP (you are sending a message to CR_APP)
N15270 Do you read me (The message you are sending)

Code: Select all.msg CR_APP N15270 Do you read me

CR_APP (A controller) recieves a "click" sound, and his "M" box lights up blue and starts flashing 1 second blue/1 second grey.
Once that controller double clicks the "See private messages" window, he will see "N15270 Do you read me"
- This is an active thing the controller needs to do, and in vpilot, the "click" sound is REALLY quiet. Can't speak for other clients.

Option 2
.msg (lower case)
N15270 (you are sending a message to N15270)
Do you read me (The message you are sending)

Code: Select all.msg N15270 Do you read me

N15270 (a pilot) recieves a "Ding Dong" and the text chat in squawkbox/vpilot/fsinn opens, and if using FSX/P3D/FS9 sees your message "Do you read me" in green text along the top of his simulator primary screen without clicking anything.

Option 3
.msg
YOUROWNCALLSIGN
Someone Else's callsign do you read me

Then nothing will happen, because you sent yourself a message.