Pilot Discussion With a Global Perspective
By Bradley Grafelman 1242018
#463198 (Is Philip our newest contestant for a thread necromancy prize? :))

Philip McNiel 1282687 wrote:In those cases, it's not like they're making fun of someone who is trying hard to pronounce the language correctly, but impersonating, to the best of their ability, the correct pronunciation of an alternate country.
+1.

I'm American. Born and raised in the midwest. I have no doubt that my "accent" is undeniably American (and don't even get me started about some of my extended family from southern Illinois... :shock:).

However, whenever I address an AMX ("AeroMéxico") aircraft out of KLAX, I pronounce it aye-air-oh-MEH-hee-co. I often will even change my ending "so long" salutation to something like "hasta luego", "buenas noches", "buen viaje", or something of the like... spoken in my best "impersonation" of a Spanish accent (more specifically, one imitating a dialect from northern/central Spain and/or Columbia - the origins of my two main Spanish teachers... although my 8 or so visits to Mexico might have muddied it). Had I studied German and gotten to know my ancestors' language a bit more, I'd probably even feel comfortable wishing DLH a "Guten Tag/Abend" on his way out.

Am I trying to be disrespectful or immature? Not at all. In fact, I'd argue that the opposite is true; I'm trying to be both friendly to the (potentially) foreign pilot and respectful of a culture/language that isn't my own. I can't see how making an effort to learn and speak a foreign language - both the mechanics and the pronunciations - is even potentially disrespectful in any way.
By Adam Trzcinski 1125672
Bradley Grafelman 1242018 wrote:However, whenever I address an AMX ("AeroMéxico") aircraft out of KLAX, I pronounce it aye-air-oh-MEH-hee-co. I often will even change my ending "so long" salutation to something like "hasta luego", "buenas noches", "buen viaje", or something of the like... spoken in my best "impersonation" of a Spanish accent (more specifically, one imitating a dialect from northern/central Spain and/or Columbia - the origins of my two main Spanish teachers... although my 8 or so visits to Mexico might have muddied it). Had I studied German and gotten to know my ancestors' language a bit more, I'd probably even feel comfortable wishing DLH a "Guten Tag/Abend" on his way out.

Absolutely acceptable, I do this constantly and never receive negative feedback about it. And there is quite a few langauges to try out in Europe. ;)
By Kevin Yang 923446
#463220 It's interesting flying into another country and listening to different accents. There was one time I had a bit of trouble understanding ATC, and that was in plain and simple English, albeit it was British. But then again, that may have been down to the controller's accent coupled with a somewhat low volume on his microphone, as I have dealt with two other British controllers before, one in Atlanta and another as I was crossing the Atlantic and didn't run into any issues with either.

Then again, I've also listened to United Channel 9 on international flights before.
By Trent Hopkinson 812681
#463468 Flew out of Paris for Cross the Pond and I was very impressed with how they utilized all the taxiways to get me launched within 1 minute of my slot time, juggling aircraft that were behind me on the taxiway to in front of me for their slot time.

It's only a pity the Paris Sceneries don't match the new taxiway designations as per the chart.

That said, I had read the briefing and knew to expect those discrepancies. Top notch controlling at Paris for Cross the Pond!
By Daniel Katz 1267436
Trent Hopkinson 812681 wrote:Flew out of Paris for Cross the Pond and I was very impressed with how they utilized all the taxiways to get me launched within 1 minute of my slot time, juggling aircraft that were behind me on the taxiway to in front of me for their slot time.

It's only a pity the Paris Sceneries don't match the new taxiway designations as per the chart.

That said, I had read the briefing and knew to expect those discrepancies. Top notch controlling at Paris for Cross the Pond!

And thanks, Trent, for allowing us to join you in the cockpit. (I'll bet you got some sleep after landing.)
By Antonio Palmieri 821108
Steve Frost 1193097 wrote:I'm going to be making a flight into Paris and then across the rest of France. I'm debating about wether or not to fly the flight on Vatsim because I don't think the local ATC speaks English. Do the controllers in other countries speak English or only the local language? Thanks for the help!

Back to OP...

Hi Steve.
Go for it. I also wonder sometimes if I should fly, say, to Miami, cause you folks speak.... American! :D

As someone else said earlier, it's the beauty of vatsim... real people, real accents. (have you ever joined some legs of the worldflight that happens in November? Some pretty funky accents throughout the week)
By Trent Hopkinson 812681
#463517 Still stoked how good Paris ATC was for Cross the Pond.

I heard some people had some issues understanding Ground, but I suspect this may have been due to the discrepancies between the Aerosoft Mega Airport Paris scenery and the Real World current charts (which was mentioned a few times in the Cross the Pond Paris Briefing pack, definitely worth the read ;) )

The only complaint I have about Paris, is that they aren't online more often!
(That said I have caught them online a few times last year anyway, and the flight from LFPG to EGLL or EGKK is always a fun one!)
By Thomas Merle 1199123
Trent Hopkinson 812681 wrote:Still stoked how good Paris ATC was for Cross the Pond.

I heard some people had some issues understanding Ground, but I suspect this may have been due to the discrepancies between the Aerosoft Mega Airport Paris scenery and the Real World current charts (which was mentioned a few times in the Cross the Pond Paris Briefing pack, definitely worth the read ;) )

The only complaint I have about Paris, is that they aren't online more often!
(That said I have caught them online a few times last year anyway, and the flight from LFPG to EGLL or EGKK is always a fun one!)

Hi Trent,

On behalf of the french team, I thank you for your kind words. They mean a lot to us !

And great video btw ;-)

See you !

Thomas