By Danny Rice 1163031
#520283 I am using the current version of Vpilot. When I run the scan models routine and then check the ModelScanResult for Prepar3dV4 I see no reference to helicopter models. Vpilot does scan and log all of my aircraft and boats, both installed in the P3D directory and in my addons directory located outside of the P3D directory.

What am I missing?

Ok. After some additional research I have found that vpilot will not use flyable helos to match other participant's helicopters. And, that one would have to find true AI helicopters models to allow multiplayer helicopter matching in Vpilot.

Has anyone actually found any number of AI helicopter models? I certainly haven't. It is interesting that Vpilot can't using flyable helicopter models to match in multiplayer while JoinFS doesn't have that problem. This doesn't make sense to me.

Danny
By Ross Carlson 887155
Danny Rice 1163031 wrote:It is interesting that Vpilot can't using flyable helicopter models to match in multiplayer while JoinFS doesn't have that problem. This doesn't make sense to me.

I've found that SimConnect throws an error if I try to tell it to create an aircraft using one of the flyable helis that comes with the sim. Maybe JoinFS doesn't use SimConnect? I'll see what I can find out.
By Ross Carlson 887155
#520297 The JoinFS site is either down or REALLY slow right now, so I'll reach out to them later if/when the site is working better.

I did some experimenting just now with SimConnect, and there is a way to create models using the flyable helis, but they are limited in some ways, like some of the lights don't work, and I can't specify the callsign as a label above the aircraft. Does JoinFS have callsign labels?
By Ross Carlson 887155
#520324 Peter and I have exchanged a few emails today, and he let me know that the labels will appear only if the engines are running, and I confirmed that to be the case.

Unfortunately, there are other limitations with using the SimConnect function for creating objects which works for flyable helis, the worst of which is the fact that you cannot turn any lights on unless the engines are running. This means that we would not be able to properly simulate seeing the beacon come on before the APU or engines are started.

The FSX developers made some really strange choices when they built this sim ... why in the world you would need to have the engines running in order to see the label or lights is beyond me.
By Ross Carlson 887155
#520326 Well, to keep things on track, vPilot can display helicopters, just not the flyable default ones.

Plus, and I haven't fully tested this yet, but I have reason to suspect that if I made the required change to allow vPilot to use flyable default helicopters for model matching, that TCAS gauges would no longer function. That's because if I use the SimConnect function AICreateSimulatedObject, these aircraft do not appear in the list of aircraft when you right-click to choose a view. In other words, they are just objects, not aircraft. (The SimConnect function that I use now is called AICreateNonATCAircraft ... and these do show up as aircraft in the sim.)
By Ross Carlson 887155
#520329 I'll have to do some testing to confirm whether or not using the alternate way of creating models will cause aircraft to not appear in TCAS displays. If so, that's a show stopper.

Have you looked into converting the flyable default helis into non-flyable AI models? I believe there is a way to do that.
By Ross Carlson 887155
#520336 No, I don't ... I've never done it, I just vaguely remember reading about it at some point in the past. I think it involves editing the aircraft.cfg file and changing it to an airplane instead of a rotorcraft, but I'm not sure at all.