News and Forum Instructions
By Joel Lagarrigue 1107750
#536173 Hi Nestor,

I read in the manual "these transceivers will normally be pre-configured for each Flight Information Region (FIR)
by locally-designated Facility Engineers"
Is there any information somewhere regarding this pre-configuration ?

Thanks a lot
By Nestor Perez 1369273
#536174 Yes, an email was sent out to all VATEUD VACC Directors several weeks ago. Drop me an email with the CID of the chosen FE for your VACC and we'll get you sorted.

Cheers,
By Bill Casey 907213
#536213
Trystan Verf 1053700 wrote:I for one like FSinn and that you're planning on not supporting it anymore seems a little unfair


I have used FSInn with AFV and it works perfectly. FSInn doesn't need to be "updated" to use it, it just works and the AFV standalone client is tiny, set and forget. The only change in FSinn is the server address under Set, Network, Vatsim as you would normally, connect to Vatsim as normal, start the AFV client, press connect and that's it. Simples. I hope that puts your mind at rest? It's a myth that you need to change clients, at the moment anyway.
By Matthew Bartels 863645
#536238
Bill Casey 907213 wrote:
Trystan Verf 1053700 wrote:I for one like FSinn and that you're planning on not supporting it anymore seems a little unfair

It's a myth that you need to change clients, at the moment anyway.


The plan 6 months ago unanimously supported by the BoG was to retire the legacy clients upon Audio for VATSIM launch.

The AFV development team lobbied the BoG extremely hard, and did get a stay of execution of FSINN and Squawkbox for launch of Audio for VATSIM.

Do note that this is a very temporary measure. FSINN and Squawkbox are over 15 years old and have not been maintained for almost 10 years. We simply can not advance the network or sure up our infrastructure while allowing these clients to still be able to connect to VATSIM. They will be retired and that retirement date is counted in months not years.

Nobody likes having to change their routine, but for the good of 99% of the rest of our members, we must make this change. I would implore those who are still on FSINN or Squawkbox to start learning swift now if you are not planning to change from FS9. Regardless of how you feel about swift, that will be your only option to continue to use FS9 very soon.
By Nestor Perez 1369273
#536240 Windows only until swift implements it natively. There's a guide to run in on Wine though. Drop me an email and I'll reply back with them if you want them.
By Bill Casey 907213
#536295
Matthew Bartels 863645 wrote:The plan 6 months ago unanimously supported by the BoG was to retire the legacy clients upon Audio for VATSIM launch.


I know and as you know there was no valid technical reason why AFV should have been the excuse. The BoG would have had to be somewhat creative with the truth to do that.

We simply can not advance the network or sure up our infrastructure while allowing these clients to still be able to connect to VATSIM.


Trying to paint the picture that FSInn/SB3 have somehow been holding the network back is a false narrative. They havn't. That doesn't mean they won't in the future but suggesting they've disrupted critical developments up to now just isn't true.

Nobody likes having to change their routine, but for the good of 99% of the rest of our members, we must make this change


If you think that we use FSInn because we're "stuck in our ways" or "don't like change" then you are wrong. We use it because it's better than the "more modern" alternatives. I know that's not the accepted mythology but if there were a genuinely better alternative then we'd have changed already! And right now it doesn't affect "the 99%" one iota whether we change or not.

I would implore those who are still on FSINN or Squawkbox to start learning swift now if you are not planning to change from FS9. Regardless of how you feel about swift, that will be your only option to continue to use FS9 very soon.


FYI I have *never* used FS9 . I know some do but using that as the reason for all FSInn/SB3 users is simply wrong. I will change when there is good reason to do so, preferably reasons based on facts rather than uninformed myths and false narratives.
By Ross Carlson 887155
#536298
Bill Casey 907213 wrote:
Matthew Bartels 863645 wrote:The plan 6 months ago unanimously supported by the BoG was to retire the legacy clients upon Audio for VATSIM launch.


I know and as you know there was no valid technical reason why AFV should have been the excuse. The BoG would have had to be somewhat creative with the truth to do that.


I can't speak for the BoG and I obviously wasn't part of the BoG vote discussions, but for what it's worth I do recall from developer discussions that the AFV standalone client was not part of the original plan, and that pilot clients would need to integrate AFV directly, and thus any abandoned clients would not work with the new voice system.

Bill Casey 907213 wrote:
We simply can not advance the network or sure up our infrastructure while allowing these clients to still be able to connect to VATSIM.


Trying to paint the picture that FSInn/SB3 have somehow been holding the network back is a false narrative. They havn't. That doesn't mean they won't in the future but suggesting they've disrupted critical developments up to now just isn't true.


I don't see how you can make that claim. FSInn and SB3 are abandonware. They will not be updated. That means we cannot make any infrastructure changes that involve client software updates as long as they are still supported.

I will grant you that the fact that we still support abandoned clients is not the sole reason we haven't made tech improvements, but as a developer I can assure you that it certainly has been a factor.
By Matthew Bartels 863645
#536313
Bill Casey 907213 wrote:I will change when there is good reason to do so, preferably reasons based on facts rather than uninformed myths and false narratives.


Bill. Here is a good reason based on fact and not false narrative. FSINN and Squawkbox will be decommissioned within 6 months.

There does not have to be a technical reason. VATSIM can choose what clients it wants to support and it could simply choose to not support them right now on the basis that it doesn’t like them. While we never would make such a move for that reason, that’s as simple as the reasoning has to be.

There are significant technical reasons outside AFV that require that these clients be retired sooner rather than later unless the clients are miraculously supported by their devs again. I highly doubt that’s going to happen though. Consider this your 6 month or less notice for retirement of the legacy clients. We will provide plenty of notice once we have the actual date.
By Maxim Gerasimov 1190185
#536453 Audio For VATSIM isn't starting... I have CTD.

Имя события проблемы: APPCRASH
Имя приложения: AudioForVATSIM.exe
Версия приложения: 1.6.2.0
Отметка времени приложения: 5d802019
Имя модуля с ошибкой: KERNELBASE.dll
Версия модуля с ошибкой: 6.1.7601.17514
Отметка времени модуля с ошибкой: 4ce7b8f0
Код исключения: e0434352
Смещение исключения: 0000b760
Версия ОС: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.2
Код языка: 1049
By Roberto Negron 852648
#536456 Disappointing for us MAC users. Today I downloaded the so called "stand alone client" for xsquawkbox and guess what....I need fracking Parallels to even open it up after download. I figured that you would consider the whole community as you go forward with this but NO....As always MAC users are being discriminated against. It just shows lack of vision, commitment, and just plain laziness. This was supposedly years in the planning. In that timeframe.... Nobody thought about soliciting volunteers, hiring (for lack of a better term at this time)a MAC expert that could possibly help with coding, integration so that all of us could enjoy VATSIM? I will tell you this. If you don't start getting with the times, Pilot Edge will displace you as a network, at least in the US. Now ....after this rant if someone has a workaround for this let me know. You have to forgive me but since the initial email almost 2 weeks ago I was so looking forward to this and BOOM; felt like a door shut right in your face. :( :twisted:
By Tommi Karkkainen 1322309
#536459
Roberto Negron 852648 wrote:Disappointing for us MAC users. Today I downloaded the so called "stand alone client" for xsquawkbox and guess what....I need fracking Parallels to even open it up after download. I figured that you would consider the whole community as you go forward with this but NO....As always MAC users are being discriminated against. It just shows lack of vision, commitment, and just plain laziness. This was supposedly years in the planning. In that timeframe.... Nobody thought about soliciting volunteers, hiring (for lack of a better term at this time)a MAC expert that could possibly help with coding, integration so that all of us could enjoy VATSIM? I will tell you this. If you don't start getting with the times, Pilot Edge will displace you as a network, at least in the US. Now ....after this rant if someone has a workaround for this let me know. You have to forgive me but since the initial email almost 2 weeks ago I was so looking forward to this and BOOM; felt like a door shut right in your face. :( :twisted:


Pretty much the same here. Got the email, got super excited. Read the documentation available, loved it. I didn't love the fact that I'd need a separate AFV client until Swift releases their upgrade, but decided I want to try it anyway. And then it turns out to be a frigging .msi file. "Door shut right in front of you" really captures the feeling. A huge disappointment. Maybe I could somewhat (not completely) understand the reasoning behind not supporting Macs (and Linux, obviously), but even then, this should definitely have been communicated better.

And yes, AFV site says "However success with MacOS under WINE has been reported." Having to toy with 3rd party software just so I can run this little program that is intended to work as a temporary solution together with two other programs (the simulator and the pilot client)? Give me a break.

Until Swift update is released, are we even going to be able to fly text only?
By Lars Bergmann 1357290
#536463 Swift already has released an alpha with AFV support: https://dev.swift-project.org/phame/pos ... t_and_afv/
If you don't like the WINE solution that will be your best bet for now.
My understanding is that flying text only (using xSquawkbox and no AFV client) is absolutely possible (though certainly not desirable :D)