You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

UK website and forum temporarily offline

Ruth McTighe 824054

Lee Redmayne 811746
Posted
Posted
Errr.. the forum's not been up yet - at all???

http://www.vatsim-uk.org/forum/

Er exactly.. not been up at all! The forum is wholly out of action, it has not been restarted since it was taken down for maintenance.

Network Administrator, VATSIM-UK

Executive Director, NWVA et al

VATSIM Supervisor

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Norman Blackburn

• Lee Collier 892337

• Scott Keller 901533

• Rob Jones 871775

Top Posters In This Topic

• Norman Blackburn

Norman Blackburn 10 posts

• Lee Collier 892337

Lee Collier 892337 8 posts

• Scott Keller 901533

Scott Keller 901533 8 posts

• Rob Jones 871775

Rob Jones 871775 7 posts

Popular Days

• Sep 29 2005

12 posts

• Oct 9 2005

10 posts

• Sep 26 2005

8 posts

• Oct 17 2005

6 posts

Chris Yates 814041
Posted
Posted

The forum appeared to be up this morning at www.vatsim-uk.org/forum/index.php .. not the link Lee has posted. For the past few days I experienced what people have already described - not being able to log in, out-dated posts going back to June etc. However, this morning, it recognised me and logged me in.

I noticed at least three new posts, two of them made by Marc Lennox. One of them was about EGNT being fully manned at some point, another was made in the Northern Real Ops thread. I don't remember what the third was I'm afraid. However, I was only able to actually read one of those posts - the page sat still when trying to view the others.

Right now, I'm able to log in as me, but am only seeing two boards - Examiners General and Essex RTS (great choice with the latter guys, thanks ).

However, if the forum's completely down as you say, then it must just be an illusion!

Ciao - let's have it back soon.

Scott Smith 921136
Posted
Posted

Yeh i can still log in the now, but when i click an area i get:

"Unknown column 'b.override_theme' in 'field list'"

Just hope for the best i suppose

Lee Collier 892337
Posted
Posted
Er exactly.. not been up at all! The forum is wholly out of action, it has not been restarted since it was taken down for maintenance.
someone broke it didn't they hehe

Lee

Martin Leat 860888
Posted
Posted

Be patient people , It will get sorted

Martin Leat

Peter Morgan 904981
Posted
Posted (edited)

hello everyone

er seeing the forum is down. i;m off around the world for the eigth time in a row getting the hang of this new PMDG 737 thing now. tis the only thing i can do to stop the withdrawl simptoms kicking in and sending me ga ga . hope the forum is back up soon just take your time and things will put them selfs right in the end.

best wishes

Edited by Guest

Peter Morgan

May all your landings be happy ones.

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted
someone broke it didn't they hehe

You guessed it Lee! The current position is as follows:

The whole website was taken down last weekend, and backed up so that the software could be updated as part of our progress towards a new website. Unfortunately there has been a problem with restoring the data for the forum from both the latest back-up and the back-up from last week. it's not helped by the fact that the website for the company that supplied the forum software is currently giving a "server not found" message.

As the people working on it have full-time jobs, it has had to wait till the weekend to be looked at again, but rest [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ured it is definitely being worked on.

Ruth

Deputy Director, VATSIM-UK

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Chris Yates 814041
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the update Ruth.

Alex Whitaker 913539
Posted
Posted
as part of our progress towards a new website.

OOOOOOOOOOOOH! I know it is a silly question but any idea when the website will be ready, or is it one of those how long is a piece of string questions?

2085.png

Peter Morgan 904981
Posted
Posted

well the saying patients is a virtue comes to min. It will be ready when it's ready. Don't rush them as that is how costly mistakes are made. smile and grit your teeth if need be.

regards

Peter Morgan

May all your landings be happy ones.

Martin Leat 860888
Posted
Posted

Alex this will be done when its done , I know Id rather have a pucka site with all the bells and whistles than somin half done. So bare with the Web team , as it will be worth the wait!

Martin Leat

Lee Collier 892337
Posted
Posted

i've got quite a bit of experience with SMF and MySQL - if you need a hand

Lee

Lee

Rob Jones 871775
Posted
Posted

Well let's hope it isn't like the mentoring system

Lee Collier 892337
Posted
Posted

lol, indeed. Still, if this was a backup problem, surely it wouldn't be giving php errors... as the backup would give sql errors

Lee

Alex Whitaker 913539
Posted
Posted
i've got quite a bit of experience with SMF and MySQL - if you need a hand

Lee

Quite a bit, that has got to be the understatement of the year! you own a website company!

2085.png

Rob Jones 871775
Posted
Posted

Any updates?

Jason Sparkes 841914
Posted
Posted

Any news of when the VAT-UK forum is up, as i miss causing havoc LOL

Jason

Iain Turner 897474
Posted
Posted

As posted earlier in the thread the next possible time the forum can be worked on is at the weekend. So I guess it will be sometime after that

Iain

Lee Collier 892337
Posted
Posted

Although I realise I may be becoming somewhat of a nuisance in this matter, I’m still curious as to why a) The 'web team' haven’t gone the simple option of re-installing the software, SMF it looked like, but according to Ruth it was PHPbb2, and according to some of the errors it bore signs of yabbse, regardless, it really isn't hard, my mother could do it if I gave her the username and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word, and she could probably restore the database if I gave her an SQL dump, which leads me on to b, b) Why does the last SQL dump you have appear to be from June? for such an experienced web team it's a little irresponsible not to make regular backups.

And before I'm flamed for not offering to help, I have, thrice.

Lee

Lee

Don Fraser
Posted
Posted

Sorry for butting in - but I think Lee has a point! Don't be too proud to accept help! It looks like Lee doesn't just work at the weekends! Come on guys we are all missing our own forum as well as our booking/mentoring system and I feel any help is a bonus.

Regards

Don Fraser

Lee Redmayne 811746
Posted
Posted
Although I realise I may be becoming somewhat of a nuisance in this matter, I’m still curious as to why a) The 'web team' haven’t gone the simple option of re-installing the software, SMF it looked like, but according to Ruth it was PHPbb2, and according to some of the errors it bore signs of yabbse, regardless, it really isn't hard, my mother could do it if I gave her the username and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word, and she could probably restore the database if I gave her an SQL dump, which leads me on to b, b) Why does the last SQL dump you have appear to be from June? for such an experienced web team it's a little irresponsible not to make regular backups.

And before I'm flamed for not offering to help, I have, thrice.

Lee

OK to sum up what happened:

Backup taken of entire SQL Databases

MySQL upgraded

PHP Upgraded

Lots of hours not focusing on DBs due to real world things getting in the way such as work, and earning money to live.

Looked at DBs, DBs corrupt.

Lots of hours not focusing on DBs due to real world things getting in the way such as work, and earning money to live.

Restored DBs (remotely - over 3GB on a 256kb upstream), data not complete nor being accepted due to outages courtesy BT.

Then as of today we have the systems virtually in place, we just need to ensure the settings and security are right.

We're certainly not too proud to accept help, and I very much thank Lee for putting himself out to offer his time to us, however by the time it was offered things were well underway and in hand. Not much can be done to rescue corrupted data unfortunately.

More news should follow shortly.

Network Administrator, VATSIM-UK

Executive Director, NWVA et al

VATSIM Supervisor

Bill Casey
Posted
Posted

Well I for one am not complaining, certainly I miss our proper forum big time but I do appreciate that these are volunteers working in their own time to benefit the rest of us who get it all for free. When it comes back, which I am sure it will, then we can all have give them a round of applause and/or buy them a drink in Bristol next w/e. I know what it's like to devote a lot of non-flying private time to Vatsim after my little event this summer and I certainly learnt then that I couldn't possibly give it as much time on a permanent basis that some people do. IMO the occasional hiccup is more than forgiveable.

Just my two penneth of course and YMMV, but this is free and I kind of appreciate the miracle that it all creates.

Bill

G-BILL

Bill Casey

Lee Collier 892337
Posted
Posted

thanks, atleast I've finally got a real answer - I'll shut up now lol

Lee

Lee

Alex Whitaker 913539
Posted
Posted

I have just noticed that by going to vatsim-uk.org/forum/index.php the old forum is no longer available, does this mean that anything has changed?

Also, the vatsim-uk website no longer redirects here, is there a reason?

Also, I have heard from my sources that the new website is about ready to be uploaded and we can expect to see it very soon, is this true?

2085.png

Lee Collier 892337
Posted
Posted

haha, your "sources" - Special Agent Whitaker?

Lee