You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

How to distribute sectorfiles?

Eivind Fosse 818131

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

I've made a sectorfile for Norway from scratch. The file was distributed in November (on version 3.0) and now I want to publish an update to the file.

I would like a good description on how to do this. The ZIP file contained the SCT, ESE, settings.txt file and pdf docomeentation files when it was released for ES 3.0.

Is it so that the profile file should be included with the ZIP file in ES 3.1? I've seen some sectorfiles that include it; however my own ID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word are included in it, so how should I edit it before publishing?

What are the steps the user should take when receiving a new sectorfile that include both SCT, ESE and settings? I would like to include a description on how to install the sectorfile since it seems that some users do not load the included settings correctly. And then they'll lose half the experience obviously...

I also see the new feature of automatic downloading of updated sectorfiles. However on the Wiki it is said the following regarding publishing of sectorfiles: This chapter is mainly for the leaders of the different VACCs who want their sectorfiles be propagated via this mechanism.

Since I'm a freelancer (I do not create the sectorfile on request from the local VACC), is this feature not available to me and my sectorfile? If it is - how can I use it?

To sum up:

I've created a sectorfile with ESE and settings similar to the Norwegian radar system, including docomeentation. What is the recommended and best way to distribute this package to the users (What files should be included for example)?

Thank you,

Eivind

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

The automatic file is available for everony of course, but since the local vACC would be the usual organisation to be responsible for that, it is mentioned there. Information on that can be found http://www.euroscope.hu/mediawiki/index.php?title=Download_Sectorfiles.

Your question about the best way to publish a file can not be answered easily, because that always depends on what exactly you are providing, and what you want the user to do with it. You should consult http://www.euroscope.hu/mediawiki/index.php?title=Where_My_Settings_Are_Saved for information about this. Of course you can provide the user with complete settings included with your download. The user will than have to load the settings from the download folder where the settings files should then be automatically replaced when extracting the new files.

The .prf file contains your PCs information including your vatsim account data, so that should not be published that way.

The best way for you is to proceed by testing it on yourself. Create the package and then create a profile according to that settings. Then some updates and test if the settings are replaced by the download. However ES will not reload the settings after the download, so you will have to restart ES or reload the settings to make it work.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask again, but keep in mind that we are not really in a position to know your settings and what they contain, so you need to provide some more information.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

• 3 weeks later...
Nikita Kapko 1015297
Posted
Posted

Hello!

I have all 7z archives and provider file. All needed

How to be add myself to default ES sectorfile providers? How to give information to world that I have some files?

vaccua_baner.jpg

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

There are two ways. First: Send me the link and I will add it to the main provider file. Second: It is designed to allow a provider file to link another provider. So just ask your neighbor (already listed) provider to link your. As there are not too many provider at the moment, I guess the first is the better. But later on I hope the second will be more popular.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

Well, I'm actually first and foremost interested in how to copy what I see in my radar screen to those that will use the file so that they see exactly the same.

First I need the SCT and ESE files obviousily.

Second I have custom colours so I need the settings text file.

I also have a specific setup of what should be displayed by default hence I need to distribute the ASR file.

I also have a plug-in that is supposed to follow the package, so I need those files as well.

When this is packed into a zipfile, and I distribute the file, the display that shows up on the next user is still not the same as mine...

Why is that?

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Eivind,

The function does only what the name suggest. It distribute SCT/ESE pairs. No more.

It is allowed that you pack additional files to the ZIP and these files will be extracted to the target computer. But there is function to force the user to use them. Only the SCT/ESE reloading is tested.

I have to say that for me it is a bit problematic that even plug-ins can be distributed. Plug-ins are DLLs with code that really could harm the user computer. Therefore everyone should use plug-ins only from trusted source. That is a point why I will never implement a plug-in download center.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

I think you misunderstood me.

I'm not looking for information on how to distribute files (either SCT/ESE or settings) via the new automatic feature. I would first like to know how it is best done, including settings, in a regular zip or rar file.

Eivind

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

I'm still looking for some help regarding the distribution of sectorfiles.

What I'm looking for is how to "copy" exactly what I see on my radar screen to another controller, so that he sees exactly the same as I do. What airports are shown, what CTRs and TMAs are shown, what runway centerlines are and are not shown. Basically what I see on my scope (last but not least colors and line weights) not more, not less.

As I have two computers I've tried this:

On PC 1, where I have created how I'd like the scope to look like, I pack a zip file including:

Norway_NC_2009_06_v11.SCT

Norway_NC_2009_06_v11.ESE

Norway NATCON.asr

Norway NATCON.txt (settings file)

This is how the scope looks like on PC 1 (and how I’d like it to look at other PCs when installed on theirs).

4c50479cad31cb1d2e30bd457de932552g.jpg

I then move over to PC 2, where I would like to see exactly the same scope and paste the files into a folder on the computer.

I start ES, and press cancel when it would like me to open a Profile, since I do not have any.

This is how ES looks to me then:

74d60e866845671bab4b26ebc58603ec2g.jpg

Press OPEN SCT and I select the Norway_NC_2009_06_v11.SCT file. At this time some information is displayed and some is not. The correct file is loaded, but there is a lot of “cleanup” to be done before one can use this file as it should.

Now the scope looks like this:

39f676b868037d0f32a5ce8ac7e9dc4c2g.jpg

Ok, so I open the ASR file.

The scope now turns to this:

2c7d952148861e1048fcc179971629222g.jpg

And we are getting pretty close now. It seems like the features I have on PC 1 are displayed and those that I do not want to display are hidden. But the problem is still that colors and line weights are not correct. I guess I’ll need to open the settings file. Pressing Load all settings does not work (as it did in ES 3.0), so then I open the Settings File Setup. Here I will need to open the Norway NATCON.txt file in every Settings type (is there an easier way to load all settings right away?)

All the Settings types have the same settings file selected as shown in this picture:

03a1251fab49b88eb7f17bc9d02d56b32g.jpg

Now I press Load. ES says in the message box at the bottom that Settings are loaded from the file.

However nothing changes on the scope. Everything have the same color and line weight as it was.

It still looks like this, a long way from the original on PC 1:

cb6b96cf77faffdb023e6e95679c25a02g.jpg

Where do I take a wrong turn? What is the correct method to use?

Thank you.

Eivind

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted

Your list setup is saved in the file indicated in OTHER Set/Settings file setup/Screen layout since in ES v3.1a.

Make sure that all paths are relative (starting with ./ or \). This is how it looks when the settings files are in the same directory as the .prf:

Settings	SettingsfileSYMBOLOGY	\dfs_symbology.txt
Settings	SettingsfileVOICE	\g-air-voice.txt
Settings	SettingsfilePROFILE	\login.txt
Settings	SettingsfileTAGS	\tags.txt
Settings	SettingsfileSIL	\list_inbound.txt
Settings	SettingsfileSEL	\list_exit.txt
Settings	SettingsfileDEP	\list_dep.txt
Settings	SettingsfileARR	\list_arr.txt
Settings	SettingsfileFP	\list_fp.txt
Settings	SettingsfilePLUGINS	\plugins.txt
Settings	SettingsfileSCREEN	\screen_1.txt

Package the .prf, all the settings files and the .asr as a .zip and anybody should be able to extract the directory structure, select the .prf and get the same setup as yours.

Make sure you delete your p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word and ID from the .prf!

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

But why is the .prf needed? Why is not the settings file enough? In other threads on this forum, it is stated that one should NOT distribute the profile file since this is a computer specific file.

And if you see it from the other side; If you already have a profile that you would like to use with my sectorfile and settings, you will need to recreate all the contents of the profile (such as sound devices, microphone etc.) using that method. Is that really necessary?

I would like to point out that even though the example above is with my own to computers (and copying the profile between them does not matter), I would like anyone to use my sectorfiles with the settings I have on my computer. The reason is that it simulates (with colors, line weight and types of lines among many other items) the real Norwegian radar scope. In other words, it is very important for the complete impression of these files that everything looks the same as it does on my computer when you install them on yours.

Eivind

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Eivind did you restart ES after this?

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

Yes I did...

I saved everything before restarting as well, and unfortunately the settings shown in picture 1 was written over by the settings in pictures number 4 and 6 in the process

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

I'm confused, how can ES on PC2 change the settings on PC1...?

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

Well, I figured you might be a bit confused on that... After testing on PC 2 I wanted to take the pictures to illustrate what I did. Those pictures was taken using PC1 (since it is the main computer), and when restarting ES I hit the save button before I was thinking what I was doing... Luckily I have a copy of of the original (without the last few days updates).

Restarting ES on PC 2 did not do the trick either by the way...

You'r telling me that the methode I've described should work?

Eivind

Gergely Csernak
Posted
Posted

Todor is right. You need to copy/distribute your profile (after deleting your login details) with only relative paths inside. ES always need a profile file to know where your settings, sounds and other workstation related files are stored. When you press ESC on profile selection all are set to the default value, that is surely what you would like to see.

Gergely.

EuroScope developer

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted

This relative path information is something I will really use!

I wonder, is this information on the EuroScope Wiki? If not, could it be added?

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

I tried once again to install the SCT and settings on PC 2 without using a profile file. This time it worked using about the same metod described above:

1 - Opened ES using a profile already created on PC 2

2 - Followed the same procedure that I used above (except step one)

3 - Loaded a plug in that is to be used with the SCT

4 - Saved the Profile from Other SET - Save Profile as (Test.prf)

5 - Save all settings via Other SET

6 - Close down ES, not saving anything when asked for it.

7 - Restart ES with all settings up and as they should be.

Does this procedure seem correct? Please note that I did not use any .prf file as I understand Gergely sais is needed to get this result? So why did it work anyway..?

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

It work exactly because point1 you did. If you have selected auto save profile then even if you set everything to be saved, the ASR, and settings paths is saved in your new profile in PC2. I still think your previous attempt would work also after a restart, after you have saved the prf again on PC2 on ES closing and loading it on the new start.

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

Thank you Todor for great help!

I think I can rest with this, except that an user that does not follow these descriptions will not get a good result... I see that many people just load the SCT file and settles with that.

Eivind

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

I've seen what I might have done wrong:

In the Settings File Setup, after browsing to the Norway NATCON.txt file, I pressed Save before Closing. This copied the settings already loaded into the Norway NATCON.txt settings file.

It seem to be very important to press Load before Closing, otherwise the settings file will be "destroyed".

I would like to request an easier methode to load all settings from a new settings file.

Eivind

Stephan Boerner 945550
Posted
Posted

Well, Save saves the data to the file, and Load loads the data from the file ... I really don't think there is an easier way.

Stephan Boerner

VATEUD - ATC Training Director

EuroScope Board of Designers | GVCCS Beta Tester

edff,euroscope,ger1oic,lhaoic.jpg

EuroScope Quick Start Guide

Eivind Fosse 818131
Posted
Posted

No, I feel it is a bit misleading.

You have a Save all settings option in the Other Set menu. Why would you need one in the Settings Files Setup as well? I thought it was to Save the changes I've done in the File name at the bottom. "Ok, so I've changed from Mathias settings to Natcon settings, so I want to save those changes and use the new files instead".